Tyre roar

formatzero

Congratulations on your car :)!

I came from a Fiesta ST150 which was at 4k revs on the motorway, so droned so I really do not notice the tyre roar (On the stock tyres). So depending on where you came from depends on whether it will bother you I imagine! Don't get me wrong I noticed it on my journey home from the dealer but that's it. It's also the quality of the roads which is an issue, new tarmac and the car is completely silent, old tarmac and it's there and that weird stuff they have on the M1 near Leeds is just ridiculous (I hardly ever drive over there but that I imagine that stuff is still there) and would be loud in any car! Personally wouldn't put me off the car, I love my 370z :D!

Edited by Tidgney

General car noise has never bothered me, I'm not really sure why. I guess some folks just have a lower tolerance for it than others.

I quite like mechanical noisy things in general though, so maybe that's got a lot to do with it.

Yeah, have a poll :lol:

I had no issue, other than it has tyre roar, what's the issue there? What other posts are you on about? I had 51/2 great years of 370 ownership, stuck up for the 370, through thick and thin and was met by a fair amount of abuse for doing so, even some mild schoolboy internet attempts at bullying :lol:

What I sense from your post, is a defensive stance, that any owner would take about owning their present or past cars.

Get a motorbike, you'd love it :lol: I'm too old as well ;)

To help the OP on this thread I was attempting to balance out opinions being expressed and this post below of yours G Man is quite helpful in that it lists many of the pros of 370 ownership but highlights the road noise as well as your misses not enjoying the ride as "issues". My misses was very comfortable in the 370, apart sometimes from when I was, er, testing out the car's dynamics on the twisties :D.

Posted 02 May 2016 - 18:07

I've had two 370s, one a GT and one a Mk1 Nismo. What a lot of people don't realise on here with regards to the Mk1, is the suspension set up. Superior in every way to the GT, a different class over a 350.

I did some basic suspension mods to my GT, a set of Eibach Pro's, had an Akropovic Evo true dual exhaust, was UpRevved, but the Nismo would smash it all day long on twisties, fact. (Ask Gstraw on here, he couldn't believe it when I gave him a cabbie, he has a 370 GT)

You will get a lot of negative opinion about a Nismo on here, from some that have never even driven one, never mind owned one. The servicing on a 370 is inexpensive. As a track car, I've no idea, but if it's mostly for track, get a stripped out MX 5 like Ekona has, you'll have more fun. As Ebized has said, as for a fast, fun and well equipped GT, it's in a good price bracket.

One or two things about a 370, the road noise is pretty bad, not enough steering wheel adjustment (only up or down, no in or out) and my Mrs always complained that, as a passenger, it wasn't the most comfortable of, erm, rides :)

It is a looker, gets loads of compliments and attention and the equipment level is very good.

I've no real idea on a Porsche or TT RS, no doubt very capable cars, for me, now a 'redneck', they both have an image problem in my eyes. The Audi, because the company that produces them are cheating bast3rds, and the Porsche, if not the right one, is a wannabe statement.

You won't wring a lot of extra oomph from a 370 without spending serious cash and going FI, but as was mentioned, unless you're getting one really cheap, it might be the wrong car if you require that level of power.

Anyway, good luck in your search, buy one off a club member, it'll be looked after and not at a dealer premium.

Edited by The G Man, 02 May 2016 - 18:09.

OK, hands up to being defensive about the qualities of the 370 - my only issue about the car at the end being the absence of 4 seats. :thumbdown::lol: For me it has been the best car I have owned/enjoyed and that includes the present car that so many driver aids it kinda takes away from the nut behind the wheel. That is why I still follow the forum regularly and try to help those interested in making a 370 purchase :)

Thanks for the justification, just what I've advocated in this thread. We have tyre roar in a 370 ;)

All else is relatively good :). Nothing less than I've stipulated, :thumbs:

Well thanks for all the reply's/opinions/advice,didn't realise i would stir up such a lively post.Having had the car a few days now a few points made have become clear.I am getting used to it ,and on the A class roads where i live it's not so much of an issue, i will probably drive on motorways only occasionaly.

As also pointed out it's a while since i had a noisy car,the 350 and the Supra being the last two so perhaps i was a bit hasty with my criticism,however in between times i had a Audi TT which was pretty quiet and refined so i guess i was being lulled into old git's mode :D

There is an easy and cheap way to reduce tyre roar.

My JDM 350Z cam with no sound deadening material at all in the boot.

Lifting up the thin boot mat revealed nothing but body coloured painted panels.

Get down to B&Q and get yourself a roll of Duralay Silentwalk 3mm Hardwood Floor Underlay 7.5 m².

Buy some carpet contact adhesive spray such as Evo-stick to stick it down.

At 3mm thick it is easily cut with a strong pair of scissors to fit the shape of your boot and wheel arches.

This reduces sound transmission by 22 db.

If you really want to go to town on the job then first stick on a layer of Evo-Stik Grey Flashing Tape, which is self adhesive and easily applied when warm, which reduces vibration and sound transmission.

I got these tips from a Mini forum sent in by a Auto sound competition winner.

The tyre noise is still there, but at least I can now enjoy my stereo and Invidia exhaust note more :)

• Like 1