Tein Street Basis Z

Sargara

Did a quick search on here and didn't get any results for this.

Spotted these on my usual eBay trawl:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-350Z-Z33-Tein-Street-Basis-Z-Coilovers-Dampers-Suspension-03-08-/122131227387

STAZ.jpg

Most relevant review I found was on youtube (warning: Murica content):

Just wondering if anyone has any hands-on experience with these, a £250 saving over other entry level coilovers is not to be sniffed at IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

bump - anybody tested these yet?

They seem like exactly what I need. I don't track, I spend 90% of my time on motorways so ride comfort isn't even the biggest deal, since most motorways are pretty flat. Ish.

Are they decent quality? Do they hold the road well? Are they a bit crashy in terms of comfort?

From what I gather the r & d for tein dampers are carried out in Asia, compared to the likes of BC and MeisteR's which are done on European roads. Not sure about on the Z33 but on must other if not all, tein dampers are a harsh ride.

I have ran the Tein Basic on MX5s in the past and they are very compliant. I have had Monoflex which were MUCH stiffer so I can see where the harshness comments may come from.

You will need to keep on top of the corrosion proofing though. I clearcoated my Monoflex to try and prevent the rust. Now I'd use a product called ACF50 which I use on my motorbikes for rust prevention. Tein do supply some spray but it's crap.

It's a difficult choice on greasing the adjustment threads as it attracts all the sh1t. But if you are going to do it, use marine grease and don't go mental with it - a nice thin covering is where it's at :)

Like you my car is used predominantly for going about my business. I think the OEM suspension is great for that, but I understand that you need to replace tired OEM suspension. The price of these makes them very attractive!! I'd go for them.

Don't worry too much about the lack of top mounts either. The Z is double wishboned, so fancy topmounts do very little. Order some new tophat bushes and pop them in during the change if you feel compelled :)