Newbe seeks some advice

mancks68

I've just bought a 2002 fairlady Gt with 60k on the clock. Had been stood for 23 months and frites into life with the 1st click of the key with help for jump leads.

I've done the basics aux belts tyres oil filters boot struts and re greesed the brakes.

It's totally original ie jap radio no mods at all.

Is there any thing else I should lookout for with a car stood this long ?

Also what would the power gain and cost of a straight throug exhaust system be?

Cheers guys ðŸ‘

Probably worth a full service really. See how the battery fares and take it easy whilst the various oils recirculate around the moving parts. If its had no problems previously you should be okay.

Lots of different exhausts out there and HFCS are a popular mod as well. Most will save weight and improve sound etc.. not sure on real power gains without a remap though.

Yeah done the service as well apart from plugs they look tricky to get too

HFCS !! I'll have a look at that cheers

Not that botherd about more power as the car has fire in its belly as it is. A clearer exhaust not would probably give more smiles for Buck

Thx

• Like 1

I see you're in Manchester - clearly a good lad then! Check out Lockwood & Greenwood in audenshaw - highly recommended by many on here for servicing, repairs etc..

Think they still do a forum discount too

Edited by evest

Yeah done the service as well apart from plugs they look tricky to get too

It maybe takes few hours maximum, you just have to remove the intake plenum to get them out. :)

Plenty of DIY guides on forums aswell.

Whoa! Neggers cheggers! Definitely no need to remove the plenum:

1. disconnect battery

2. strut brace off

3. airbox and pipe off

4. coil packs out (will need to temporarily shift a few brackets/looms) cylinder 5 is a PITA!

5. Swap plugs (if you're feeling old school, check new spark plug gaps with a feeler guage to be sure they're good)

6. Replace everything in reverse order

7. Job's a goodun, cup of tea!

Also a good opportunity to check condition of old plugs for any sign of engine issues (crusty tips, oil on the threads, etc...)

(Although if you do remove the plenum, you may as well take the opportunity to put a plenum spacer in! :teeth: )

Edited by evest

Nice 1 lads for the tips

Lockwood & Greenwood in audenshaw are only 2 miles for me good shout 👊
Is there any different from my fairlady to a uk spec car ?

I know it was imported in 2007 for 20k and been with the same owner since then.

It was a bit of a barn find really full of spider webs n moss around bonnet lines

Lights where a bit faded with the sun but machine polished out mint.

Tar

if you've just removed the oxidisation from the lights you will then need to re-seal the plastic to avoid them oxidising straight away. that way your clear headlights will stay nice and clear. have a browse about for some guides on the matter.

if you plan to take her somewhere without a speed limit (track/autobahn) then i believe the jap cars are restricted to 112mph, so you might want to get that removed when you do a remap to get the benefit from any performance mods you do (mostly breathing mods for the DE)

for jap vs uk take a look at this post:

http://www.350z-uk.com/index.php?showtopic=1648

welcome and enjoy your new zed :)