Wireless Router

Stew

Looking for a new wireless router for my house as mine has packed in. I know nothing about this stuff so I'm looking for some recommendations. One that is easy to set up and won't break would be good! The highest speed possible would be nice too!

Any suggestions?

Hi stew,

I have a bt home hub and love it. My laptop is in my office at the far end of the house and my wife has hers in the lounge. Speed is great and we are able to work oat the same time with no loss. I also has the advantage of giving ou the bt vision package if you can get freeview where you live. On demand viewing anytime. There is also a phone which gives you free evening and weekend calls.

Great package and not a problem with it in the year I have had it.

One big advantage, take it out the box, plug in and it works :D

It's a D-Link one I have but it's packed in. Are Belkin any good?

The home hub is a good idea but I have sky, fancy phone and free calls! :lol:

If only they'd come out with it earlier then I could have it all rolled in to one!

Linksys are probably the best technically. But then you'd expect nothing less from the company whose equipment keeps most of the internet running (Linksys is Cisco's consumer brand).

Netgear are usually pretty good, although they have had some poor/unreliable products in their line-up (but then, everyone has/does).

D-Link and Belkin are fair-to-middling depending on model and required usage (but quite often unreliable and cr@p).

Anything proprietry provided by an ISP (e.g. BT HomeHub and Orange LiveBox) is kit built by the lowest bidder using the lowest quality components built to a fairly low specification.

Just my personal experience/opinions mind you... :innocent:

If I had to recommend one it would be:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-050-LS&groupid=46&catid=1012&subcat=

The one you recommended is pretty reasonably priced too!

Yup, that one's not the "best" available, but it's of the latest generation of products with good speed and range, so good value for money.

How are linksys to set up though? Computers are evil and I don't have a clue about them! :blush:

I've never had a problem with setups as I have a techie background, so my opinion on ease of use is probably not the best to go by as I think they're all easy to setup ;)

But they all come with "wizards" these days to assist with setup, plus Linksys have a good amount of support resources on their website:

http://www.linksys.com/

Personally, I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble, but perhaps a non-techie person here with experience of Linksys products could venture an opinion?

I've got a Draytek Vigor 2800VG. I'm not technical but it seems to work well. :thumbs:

What he said! :thumbs:

we've had two of these now, only becasue we needed a bigger one, not becasue it broke. It can be used as s imple router, or as part of a larger network hub.

I've had a few Belkins and all have done well, range was not quite as good as Netgear but then still covered house and garden.

Key is to ensure you decrease you vulnerability when you get one. ideally look for one with WPA as well as WEP encrytion, much tougher to crack if you do banking or other personal stuff wirelessly [to give you an example there is a little tool for the naughty which can crack WEP codes within 10 minutes easily even on low powered devices, use a powerful laptop and you're in/online in under a couple of mins, apparently] , turn ping response off (however called on you particular kit), MAC addr filtering is recommended.

By default most wireless equipment will have B/G built in but not the various MIMO types yet, so if you go for the faster and longer range MIMO type router you'll probably have to buy a card / USB device to get advantage of the extra speed, not likely you'll need it if you don't have heavy wireless traffic.

Not sure if that helps or confuses.

I've had loads of netgears and they always been good, but you do have to pick the right one as mentioned....

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_modem_router_dg834pn.php I use this one every day as work from home quite a lot as well, but you need to get corresponding Rangemax cards to get best out of it.

The netgear stuff now is really easy to setup as well, can only talk for this one the DG834PN but its been very stable......

Also one thing to remember is does depend how good your ISP is as well, a lot of the times you make have a perfectly good wireless signal, but the actually link to your exchange/ISP problems is why you are getting crap connections etc.....

;)

Here are links to the Netgear rangemax i got last summer. :headhurt:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=19023

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=3135

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=11917

Surely only a matter of time before i do this

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!!!!

MY TOP OF THE RANGE NETGEAR RANGEMAX ROUTER DIED THIS EVENING. WILL BE TAKING IT BACK TOMORROW AND DEMANDING A NOTHER BRAND. PURCHASED BRAND NEW IN OCTOBER. PILE OF C**P :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Ive always used linksys stuff, never had any problems, has much better signal strength than my BT hub, especially in a old stone house like mine.

Just remember to keep them away from radiators and other heat sources, they don't like it!

Ive always used linksys stuff, never had any problems, has much better signal strength than my BT hub, especially in a old stone house like mine.

Just remember to keep them away from radiators and other heat sources, they don't like it!

Yes been thinking about a linksys. The one i had was in a very cool spot and not near anything that could cause it to fail. Its just a very bad product. The death toll of the wnr854t is enormous worldwide :dry:

I've had loads of netgears and they always been good, but you do have to pick the right one as mentioned....

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_modem_router_dg834pn.php I use this one every day as work from home quite a lot as well, but you need to get corresponding Rangemax cards to get best out of it.

The netgear stuff now is really easy to setup as well, can only talk for this one the DG834PN but its been very stable......

Also one thing to remember is does depend how good your ISP is as well, a lot of the times you make have a perfectly good wireless signal, but the actually link to your exchange/ISP problems is why you are getting crap connections etc.....

;)

Spooky, I literally just unboxed this model and within seconds am back on the net, wired and wireless. Never had a router so easy to use.

Was a toss up between this one and a linksys but this one had better reviews - bought from ebuyer, 318 feedback and arrived within 2 days even though they said 7. Can't fault it so far!

£38.

Personally i use Netgear, im currently using the Netgear dg834gt, this has been a realy good router, had a few problems when i upgraded the firmware but, that was an easy fix. have in the past used belkin and also quite a few different d-link products.

Regards

Nathan@Sumopower

Personally i use Netgear, im currently using the Netgear dg834gt, this has been a realy good router, had a few problems when i upgraded the firmware but, that was an easy fix. have in the past used belkin and also quite a few different d-link products.

Regards

Nathan@Sumopower

I have just RMA'd a Netgear and switched to Linksys, not one dropped connection in 2 weeks now :thumbs:

Regards

Nathan@Sumopower

I have just RMA'd a Netgear and switched to Linksys, not one dropped connection in 2 weeks now :thumbs:

Which Linksys you using? My netgear drops the connection every half an hour or so :rant: