Advice on what mods next?

Lowrcase

I have a 2006 roadster with the DE engine, it's a RevUp spec engine that comes with all the usual goodies, bhp & torque. I currently have stainless headers, stainless decats & stainless twin exhaust system(based on the HKS 1), JR Performance panel filter in a standard air box, plenum spacer from H-Dev & grounding kit also from H-Dev. She's also just been serviced recently with nice new plugs, oil & coolant. Also have had H-Dev remap her. On the day I had a Pipercross Viper fitter & it was super hot! The filter was actually killing power! I drove in with 165bhp & drive out with 175bhp! Plus they couldn't get the intake air temp below 51 degrees C! Went home & put the standard air box back in & dropped the JR Performance panel filter in & this Sunday just gone had her tested again whilst at the Japanese Performance Show & she kicked out 292.5bhp!!! Not bad for a ten year old engine which had just ticked over to 101k miles me thinks. Anyhoo I want the 300bhp that Nissan say should be! I will be going for a turbo conversion in 2018 & a stroker kit in 2019 but I want the elusive 300 for now. So what else can I do to get that extra 8hp? Is a fuel pressure regulator any good for owt? Any help would be awesomes guys!ðŸ‘ðŸ»

try a few different dynos, i'm sure one of them will give you a piece of paper with 300 on it ;)

but to be honest that sounds about right for an na engine - cams are the only thing I can think of, or try and get the rev limit raised by a few hundred rpm if the engine will take it.

There isn't much point in raising the limiter as the peak power is still @ 6600rpm & fallen off slightly by time you hit the stock limiter. I was thinking cams but read somewhere that NA came are no good in a boosted motor??? Don't know how that would work as I thought cams were cams regardless of FI or NA!

Lovely motor pal, saw it Sunday. Hhhmmm lightweight crack pulley bigger throttle body? You'd probably get 300bhp+ on a dynojet and from my understanding JPS read low for figures full bolt on DC5 made 226bhp and our red DE on display made 262bhp iirc (not standard car)

Revup is 296bhp, not 300.

Brillo is spot on though, different dyno on a different day will give you a different result. You could gain the equivalent of that 'missing' 4bhp by having a good poo and clearing the rubbish out the boot before driving, if you're that keen. ;)

Lovely motor pal, saw it Sunday. Hhhmmm lightweight crack pulley bigger throttle body? You'd probably get 300bhp+ on a dynojet and from my understanding JPS read low for figures full bolt on DC5 made 226bhp and our red DE on display made 262bhp iirc (not standard car)

Thanks man, I was looking at the lightweight pulley kit you can get. 3 pulleys including the crank, alternator & power steering pump. Also where can I get a bigger throttle body? I've read about some people fitting Mustang 5.0 throttles but it's hassle!🤔 I ported & polished the head on my last motor but it took a while & that was just a 4-pot head!😂

Revup is 296bhp, not 300.

Brillo is spot on though, different dyno on a different day will give you a different result. You could gain the equivalent of that 'missing' 4bhp by having a good poo and clearing the rubbish out the boot before driving, if you're that keen. ;)

I know the RevUp is 300ps so equates to 297bhp. The boot only had cleaning products in it!😂 I'd also had a mahoosive poo before hand!😂 I forgot to say that I've only ever run the car on 99 octane V-Power fuel also.

I also also forgot to say that I have a polished aluminium Z-Tube. What about a terra-clean or some other deep clean? Failing that where would I get a larger throttle body? I'd polish the @*!# out of it before fitting! Would an oil catch can do anything as I wouldn't be sucking in them nasty vapours anymore?

In all honesty number chasing is never a good idea as it tells very little about how quick a car is in real world terms. As long as the torque delivery is smooth that's more important for an engine than peak power for a split second.

Remember on a track Sabine would make mince meat of any of us in a factory standard Zed compared to normal folk in a lightly modded one, point is enjoy the motor :D

After reading this I decided the put my stock airbox back in (was running a Takeda Attack Short Ram). Genuinely feels like I've just gained (well... replaced) a nice chunk of low -mid power. Not remapped or tested on a dyno yet but it's on the list...

A mate of mine has a boosted Lotus Esprit so we're on a friendly bet to see who can top 300bhp first - just for the hell of it!!

In all honesty number chasing is never a good idea as it tells very little about how quick a car is in real world terms. As long as the torque delivery is smooth that's more important for an engine than peak power for a split second.

Remember on a track Sabine would make mince meat of any of us in a factory standard Zed compared to normal folk in a lightly modded one, point is enjoy the motor :D

My power is down from new & all that but the torque is just a bit higher than standard @ 263ft/lbs so she pulls like a train. Mad that I've lost power in my 10 year old engine with 101k miles but I've got more torque.ðŸ˜ðŸ‘ðŸ»

After reading this I decided the put my stock airbox back in (was running a Takeda Attack Short Ram). Genuinely feels like I've just gained (well... replaced) a nice chunk of low -mid power. Not remapped or tested on a dyno yet but it's on the list...

A mate of mine has a boosted Lotus Esprit so we're on a friendly bet to see who can top 300bhp first - just for the hell of it!!

I couldn't believe that I gained 17/18hp by going back to the stock air box with a decent panel filter but the dyno figures show it. It feels so much better with the stock box also, a lot more responsive throughout the whole rev range. Definitely recommend the JR Performance filter & a good price from H-Dev also.ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Like 1

Not even a rough guide, as in the same day you could go to three different dyno's and get very varied figures. Not so much of an issue for those BIG power cars as 600bhp or 620bhp isn't going to loose anyone sleep lol 275bhp to 295bhp for example possibly could - my 2c