Jump to content

Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built


350Butcher
 Share

Recommended Posts

Pff. Really love the build! I have to get going with my VQ37HR engine. Only thing is my VQ37 looks like scrap. Its at the engine shop at this moment. Hopefully he got some news sometime soon... 

Still have to figure out what to do with the pistons as I've got Tomei 272 cams as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/07/2021 at 22:07, Hansburger said:

Pff. Really love the build! I have to get going with my VQ37HR engine. Only thing is my VQ37 looks like scrap. Its at the engine shop at this moment. Hopefully he got some news sometime soon... 

Still have to figure out what to do with the pistons as I've got Tomei 272 cams as well.


Cheers!  Got to say it’s been a lot of work but it’s an awesome engine, goes like stink and so keen to Rev out, you won’t be disappointed 

 

Hopefully you do get some good news from the shop about the donor engine. What are your plans, you only need the block and crank from it?? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, KuroKiddo said:

Wow not been on the forum for a long while and just had a quick look of the latest updates, top top work fella!

 

 

Cheers!  Been very busy but it's so nice to be out in it again after so long......there's still some ironing out with mapping and sorting a few features but it's coming together and feeling like a bit of an animal which is good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/07/2021 at 19:19, 350Butcher said:


Cheers!  Got to say it’s been a lot of work but it’s an awesome engine, goes like stink and so keen to Rev out, you won’t be disappointed 

 

Hopefully you do get some good news from the shop about the donor engine. What are your plans, you only need the block and crank from it?? 

 Yes! Only need the short block. Eveything else will fit, also no issues with the electronics and so on. :)  Got almost everything lying around. Now we have to wait for the shop with some news...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Hansburger said:

 Yes! Only need the short block. Eveything else will fit, also no issues with the electronics and so on. :)  Got almost everything lying around. Now we have to wait for the shop with some news...

 

You using the 370 rods and machining valve relief in the pistons?  Were you hoping for a drop in then and not to have to rebuild the bottom end?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/07/2021 at 20:50, 350Butcher said:

 

You using the 370 rods and machining valve relief in the pistons?  Were you hoping for a drop in then and not to have to rebuild the bottom end?

 

 

The idea was a simple and fast build. Using my HR heads and the VQ37. I talked to a guy in the US who had build something similar. But I could have known it wouldn't be that easy. Hahah. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Hansburger said:

The idea was a simple and fast build. Using my HR heads and the VQ37. I talked to a guy in the US who had build something similar. But I could have known it wouldn't be that easy. Hahah. 

 

Simple doesn't really exist on a VQ engine as anything internal is really labour intensive!

 

You should've dropped me a message I could bore you with everything you need to know as I researched it all a lot before before going ahead myself. Need to watch them yanks............they say its all easy and they know and that you'll have 500hp at the wheels when you've finished too 

 

I follow your build thread so look forward to any updates/news that you share

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

 

Simple doesn't really exist on a VQ engine as anything internal is really labour intensive!

 

You should've dropped me a message I could bore you with everything you need to know as I researched it all a lot before before going ahead myself. Need to watch them yanks............they say its all easy and they know and that you'll have 500hp at the wheels when you've finished too 

 

I follow your build thread so look forward to any updates/news that you share

 

 

I didn't listen to the numbers he had. We just want to try something new. See if it all is going to work and we gonna make this Frankenstein engine run. If it's going to make some decent power I will be happy too. Haha. I will keep you updated. Maybe some questions on the pistons you've got. But first we have to sort out what we gonna do with the VQ37.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2022 at 17:58, Ceejay29 said:

Dread to think how often I check this thread for an update 🙏🏼 😂

 

Cheers!!

 

Sorry been really slack on updates. Life has been incredibly busy with a stressful house move thrown in for good measure.

 

That all said I did get to enjoy the car a little, few runs out on the road and then an 1800mile round trip to Scotland which @nissanman312 organised with a few great lads with a combination of great cars...........and an Audi TT. Was initially a little apprehensive about taking the trip given the car had so much new stuff on it and having only covered few hundred miles at that point but thought lets do it, got myself some get me and the car home recovery and brimmed the tank with Vpower............its sh*t or bust time!! 

 

Pleased to say we had a great trip and the car was faultless, engine strong and working the gearbox was a joy with the new CAE shifter......the only thing I wasn't totally convinced of was the new set of Goodyear Supersports I'd fitted. I'm not sure if it was just a combination of not driving it for so long, not being on real road tyres for a decade with the Z and as a result having geometry setup for track tyres but that aside the pace was plenty good enough to enjoy and work the car and it was great! Sadly didn't have the time to get it on track in 2021 but aiming for in 2022 to improve mapping further and get a little closer to oem levels of drivability on lower throttles especially and hit the track to really stretch its legs and see how it performs.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built
23 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Come a long way she has and still such a sleeper too!!! 0-100mph with a less than ideal launch, in 10 second is plenty fun id imagine too. 

 

Sure has Dave! Cheers!

 

Its in good company at that pace......and if I can did dip under with a bit of weight loss then you're entering some serious big boy levels. I think its in a sweet spot where it is power wise and the way it delivers it too

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Mega trip mate great to have you along 

The car was mega 

Screenshot_20220122-225701.png

 

Pleasure to be a part of it! Looking forward to doing it again!

 

To my workings there's 2630hp in that picture..........not a bad average at nearly 440hp per car

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Made a purchase for the Z...........the first in a long long while! Been looking for ages and finally found something that should tick the box

 

And all this means that my current and very rare LMGT4 wheels will shortly be up for sale. Specs for those who don't know are:

 

Front: 18x8.5 et25

Rear: 18x9.5 et30

 

Being forged are lightweight (believe 8-8.5kgs) and much stronger than cast options. Recently (2000ish road miles only) wrapped in the superb Goodyear Supersport tyres in correct sizes of 245/275 40's makes them as good as can be

 

Having driven on both the 19 and 18 LMGT4 option I can say these are the ones to have. The car drives so much nicer. Let me know if you may be interested?

 

As for their replacement, I'll update when they're on..................

 

vVRniyR.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the new wheels annoyingly didn't have the 73-66.1mm hub rings required so had to order them up and wait! Gktech came up as an option when searching and being impressed with their stuff so far was happy to get those and wasn't disappointed again

 

https://au.gktech.com/hub-centric-rings-pair

 

Installed:

 

JFAnPPy.jpg

vQR5WLG.jpg

 

Despite loving the LMGT4's for many reasons I'd really like to add more wheel up front to allow for 265 square setup and unfortunately as 8.5" they just wont do it safely/sensibly. Been on the hunt for a set of wheels for a while that give me what I want. I didn't want to have any larger than 9.5" as its just more weight for nothing and I didn't want the usual offsets available that give the aesthetics many go for with the Z while negatively effecting handling and requiring bodywork alteration........neither of which were what I wanted

 

So when these popped up......Rays 57D-R Gramlights in 9.5x18 et22.......I jumped! Installed with the very tyres and sizes I wanted too, Yokohama AD08's in 265\35. These sizes would put the rear wheels out another 8mm and the fronts out just shy of 16mm while being just shy of 10mm closer to the upright due to the increased 1" width. So giving me what I want whilst also adding a little more aggression to the stance. Dropping to the 35 profile has added about 10mm to the tyre to arch gap but in my opinion has given the ride height a more natural look over a lowered one. Overall ride height has also been reduced by 10mm which is useful and also the gearing has been lowered a little which I'm happy about too. Note my car has no VDC anymore so nothing's gonna get upset about the new setup. I've been for a short drive and it drives well and I was happy that there's no rubbing at all during driving or full lock......I was a bit worried especially given the 265 AD08 comes in at closer to 275 but all good!

 

The only downside being that they were blue!!............WB (winning blue) to be exact. I really wasn't sure how I'd like them, especially being so close to the cars bodywork but after installing them I think they're OK. They'll probably change to matt bronze at some stage when new tyres are required.

 

So here they are.......please comment and let me know what you think!? 

 

HZYO4En.jpg

sQS82Io.jpg

6x28eAh.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking good mate, great choice of wheel in my opinion and actually been toying with the idea of the 57DR in this size myself for a while now, so good to know they fit! Having said that if your LMGT4s came up for sale I might have to reconsider...

 

I think the bronze would look good as I really like it on my Kuro black but certainly not an urgent change 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/05/2022 at 22:37, Ry-B said:

Looking good mate, great choice of wheel in my opinion and actually been toying with the idea of the 57DR in this size myself for a while now, so good to know they fit! Having said that if your LMGT4s came up for sale I might have to reconsider...

 

I think the bronze would look good as I really like it on my Kuro black but certainly not an urgent change 

 

Cheers! The DR is a classic jdm style wheel and I've always liked it. These and the CR too. Researching sizes is so hard as people then say they're using spacers or its had body mods etc and then you're not sure again! These definitely fit with no issues which is both good news and a relief to me. 

 

Always wanted a matt bronze set of wheels since my evo back in '06 so I think these may finally be the ones! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/05/2022 at 10:01, davey_83 said:

She's looking mighty!! with a fresh new look for 2022 👌 Even those spigot rings look sweet. 

 

Cheers mate!

 

I've been well impressed with gktech's stuff so worth a little extra £ to get these hub rings............waiting 3 days for them felt like 3 weeks though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Hansburger said:

Love the look with those wheels! 😍

 

Cheers! It's been a long long time before seeing something that I'd actually like to install but these are the exact fitment and sizes I was thinking I'd go for!

 

They actually look better in the flesh too and the blue although a risk works OK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...