Please help with problem with an engine that I supplied recently

Jon T

(2) Crank shaft fitted in wrong position.

Do you mean Flywheel Alex?

Ill pm you his details, don't want to go publicly shaming someone.

I know what you mean. Before I got into mechanics, my local garage ruined my200SX engine through stupidity, but because we had had a long relationship I still didn't want to name and shame.

Infact, that was the reason I got into cars, so I could do my own engine work without relying on plonkers, and then somehow I ended up selling Nissan parts for a living lol.

Edited by Jon@Emperor

(2) Crank shaft fitted in wrong position.

Do you mean Flywheel Alex?

Ill pm you his details, don't want to go publicly shaming someone.

I know what you mean. Before I got into mechanics, my local garage ruined my200SX engine through stupidity, but because we had had a long relationship I still didn't want to name and shame.

Infact, that was the reason I got into cars, so I could do my own engine work without relying on plonkers, and then somehow I ended up selling Nissan parts for a living lol.

Yes, typo, meant flywheel: Sorted. :thumbs:

Just had a long chat with the garage boss man on behalf of Pedro.

The situation is that they now accept that the flywheel may have been fitted wrongly, however they are adamant that there is no oil pressure.

They base that on the oil light not going out, and also a manual check with an independent gauge direct from the block.

However he has agreed to get the car back on the ramp and carry out a further oil pressure check using another gauge, just in case his gauge is faulty.

I found the guy I spoke to to be informed, helpful and quite willing to listen to my views.

• Like 12

Thanks Alex, really appreciate it

Hopefully the timing issue is due to the flywheel being fitted incorrectly.

What happens if he checks the oil pressure again and still gets a negative reading?

Could the lack of oil pressure be caused by the timing issue, or will it definitely be a separate problem?

Also, if there really is no oil pressure, will the engine have been damaged from the attempts to start it?

Cheers guys!

If on recheck the oil pressure is still low or Zero, I would be inclined to advise you to go back to Jon at Emperor and excercise your warranty options.

If the pressure is still Zero I see no point in pulling the box to check the timing problem as both faults are unrelated.

I am at a loss to understand why a perfectly good engine can lose its oil pressure under these circumstances.

Of course, you could always instruct some one else, to get a second opinion on the oil pressure, and perhaps Jon may be prepared to help you out with the cost of that.

Let us know how the second oil pressure check goes with the existing repairing garage.

Hi guys - sorry I lost track of the thread.

Alex thanks for taking the time to phone the guy.

Yes I follow the logic above, if there is no oil pressure then something is seriously wrong.

Am I right in saying that; even if she is not running correctly with timing issues, that the oil pressure should still be the same as if firing normally? E.g. if idling at normal RPM with a miss, then it should still make the normal 35Psi or what ever it should be, I forget now?

Thanks

EDIT - it may also be wise to ask for the actual pressure reading and RPM from the mech, rather than just "it's low", for further discussion. Thanks

EDIT - just thinking further up the road, worst case, incase it turns out there is a legit oil pressure problem, that I've somehow missed, do we think that a car crash could cause it? The car was crashed into railings on 3 corners. Fairly hard, but I've had a lot worse ot be honest. I've never had it cause an engine problem in the past.

Edited by Jon@Emperor

I was just thinking again(dangerous I know). A couple more things:

- i there is a real oil pres problem, then it COULD cause a timing issue couldn't it? The VQ VVT system is driven by oil pressure right? So if oil wasn't up to pressue, surely theres a good chance that the timing could be out by a malfunctioning VVT system? uurrgggg I don't like the sounds of this. Hang on, no. If that was the cause, then how come it ran perfectly for me? Man I'm getting really confused with this.

- Alex, do you manually check engine oil pressures before selling engines? With a gauge I mean. I must admit I don't with the V's, I just check the speedo and dash gauges.

ta

Edited by Jon@Emperor

Sorry me again, last time tonight I promise.

I had managed to convince myself that I forgot the check the oil pressure when testing the engine. So I just checked the youtube testing video to make sure I hadn't cocked up. At 3:30 exactly you can see I show the dash for a little bit, and there is no oil wanring light on. So at least that confirms that I'm not going crazy...

so.... unsless the magic engine fairy has got into the engine and removed the oil pump while it was on the pallet, then it's GOT to still be working. It HAS to. Because the oil system is mechanical and can't just suddenly break in thin air like that.

OK I feel confident again that the mech will come back with good oil news.

EDIT - could somehow a blockage occur in the pressured part of the crankcase oil system? Could something have got in there while in transit? I dont think so. It would litterally have to get in that tiny 6-8mm hole where the oil switch goes. I checked the pallet archive pics and the oil filter side is facing up, but still what are the chances that something fell in there? 1000000:1? Impossible surely

Edited by Jon@Emperor

Hi guys

I spoke to the mechanic today and received some very promising news.

He retested the oil pressure with a new gauge and got a reading of around 15 psi, which was an improvement. So he re-fitted the flywheel, which did sort the timing issue, and re checked the oil pressure. This time it was up to about 25 psi. So he took it for a short test drive and checked again when he got back and got a reading of 50 psi at idle. He said it seemed the more the engine was run the better the reading. He is keeping it over the weekend to check it a few more times but if its fine by Monday ill be picking the car up after work.

We aren't completely out of the woods yet but its seems there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

Alex - You may have really saved the day here, really appreciate it.

Ill update the thread on monday, just hope its good news!

Cheers

Oh Jesus Christ thank frig! I can start sleeping again?!

Good job Pedro, speak on Monday and hopefully we can put this baby to bed!

Jon

EDIT - Alex, I love you and I want to have your babies. That's not too creepy right? :)

Edited by Jon@Emperor

Just picked up the car, took it for a short run and it feels fantastic.

The engine seems to be running nice and smooth, oil pressure is good and it sounds as good if not better than my old engine.

Maybe its because i haven't driven it for months but it seems quicker too. Perhaps my old engine was on its way out for a while before it went bang.

On an unrelated note i got the clutch changed while the engine was out and what a difference! The biting point is about a mile below where it used to be.

Apologies to Jon for the stress, and big thanks to Alex!

Cheers guys, heres hoping it runs for another 100,000 miles :p

Peter

• Like 1