Before & after Rolling Road results

Andy

Further from a previous post that was up a few weeks ago, here are my rolling road graphs with 'before' and 'after' results.

Previous rolling road I had a non heat shielded filter alone and that gave me 268.4 bhp at the flywheel with c240ft/ib torque. See graph below for readouts.

RRGraph07.jpg

I have now had the car re-done today at the same place and almost exactly a year later but I now have the K&N Typhoon Kit, larger Plenum, Hi-Flo Race Cats and Nismo Exhaust. The result was I got 268.1 bhp at the flywheel and c248 ft/lb torque. Graph below shows the readouts.

DSC00186.jpg

The operators comments were that the majority of the Z's he has run usually give these figures so mine was nothing out of the ordinary. He has seen a significant number of Z's actually loose bhp with just an exhaust added. The other interesting point is that last year the car was overfueling very slightly but now with the new larger plenum, the Z is struggling with fuel and is now running lean.

With confidence, he said with a decent ECU mod, the car would be running good power, potentially in the c320bhp area so looks like that's probably the next move for me. :thumbs:

Hope this has helped in some way or another :thumbs:

DSC00185.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

Good Info mate :D

Andy I dont suppose you know what fuel you used last time & this time. Also how long the fuel was sitting in the car on each ocassion? This could have some substantial effects. I find mine runs best (feels most powerful) in the first week after filling up with Tesco 99 Ron.

ps How much was the rolling road? I want to get mine done now! :thumbs:

Maybe a group rolling road day is in order!! Anyone know a good place in & around London? There is Power Engineering in Uxbridge but not sure on their reputation

My 06 Z had 275hp at the flywheel, completely standard with 15.000km on the clock, so the numbers sound logical.

@Kev: its not exactly "just" a remap. Its a remap + all the mods he did. We all know just doing mods without remapping the ECU changes 0 on the performance of the car.

One thing I learned is that if you want accurate manufacturer hp ratings, you are better of buying a turbo'd car (they all have correct, or even slightly more hp than on paper), or a Porsche :) Nearly all N/A cars have real hp figures which are lower than in the spec sheet.

My 06 Z had 275hp at the flywheel, completely standard with 15.000km on the clock, so the numbers sound logical.

@Kev: its not exactly "just" a remap. Its a remap + all the mods he did. We all know just doing mods without remapping the ECU changes 0 on the performance of the car.

One thing I learned is that if you want accurate manufacturer hp ratings, you are better of buying a turbo'd car (they all have correct, or even slightly more hp than on paper), or a Porsche :) Nearly all N/A cars have real hp figures which are lower than in the spec sheet.

I know but most of these so call mods actually loose power, inparticular the exhaust. I still stand by what I said, no way you can get 50 bhp by an ecu re-map and a few bolt ons with an NA car.

Well with all those bolt on bits u shud achieve 15% increase in power with piggy back ECU.. 15% of 268hp is 40hp. Cost of new ECU and fitting shud be about £1500... depends if u think its worthwhile. Might be better to put the money towards FI.

On TDi's website on powertuning section they mention can achieve anything up to 80hp after the new ECU is fitted (along with all the bolt on mods).

As far as the fuel goes, this time, I filled up yesterday with Shell Optimax. I couldn't say for certain how long the fuel was in there last time but the chances are that it was less than a week as the Z is my daily driver and I do a fair bit of mileage in her. I only ever use Optimax so would have run it on that last time too.

Kev, I am only going by what the operator suggested to me. I would only believe it if I was handed the new Rolling Road prinout once the ECU is on there so it will be a case of see what happens once it is on I think!

As far as doing a Rolling Road day, I am more than happy to organise one for the South East area. The place I went to was Surrey Rolling Road which is near Chobham, just off J11 on the M25. I have used them 3 times in total now and they seem ok.

http://www.surreyrollingroad.co.uk/

Bloody ECU, why on earth does it do that! I don't suppose this is a later model thing only is it? Do ealier cars have less fascist ECUs?

unfortunately i think all 350's have the same meddling mary poppins ecu. even the new gtr is said to have the same type of ecu, which sticks its nose in where it shouldn't! :angry:

Guest prescience

What are the wheel numbers. The rolling road is incapable of measuring other than the latter - that is what it does. There is then an 'approximation' (and that is exactly what it is) applied to give 'flywheel numbers'. And what guarantees that the same approximation is applied from one visit to the next

Unless you have an engine dyno you have little idea what you are developing at the flywheel.

I ABSOLUTELY DETEST misleading 'fly' numbers :p

Torque seems to be down a bit.

My car made 283bhp & 243 ft/lb at the flywheel a few months ago with similar mods to you.

Was it at the same place?

You cannot compare different rolling roads. Only correct comparison is on the same one at the same day.

The only 2 things one can trust from a rolling road session are:

1 - Air-fuel mixture

2 - If mods have been done and a before/after run has been done the performance gain

Comparing absolute results from one place to another is never accurate.

I find mine runs best (feels most powerful) in the first week after filling up with Tesco 99 Ron.

ehhh... :wacko:

??

In the first week? meaning you fill up less than once a week? :blush:

Surely, on fill up, the car will be slower due to the weight of the fuel? It may be pyschological but my car feels sooo nimble when its nearing empty..... :)

My car made 283bhp & 243 ft/lb at the flywheel a few months ago with similar mods to you.

You cannot compare different rolling roads. Only correct comparison is on the same one at the same day.

1 - Air-fuel mixture

2 - If mods have been done and a before/after run has been done the performance gain

i'd hope you could compare results as near as makes no difference? i know figures would vary but it can't be that much can it?

1 - Air-fuel mixture

i'd hope you could compare results as near as makes no difference? i know figures would vary but it can't be that much can it?

Yep. Different RR could be massively different. Also it has been known for one RR to be more 'favourable' than others etc..... :blush:

when i've finished modding (hah) you'll have to let me know which one is more favorable. wouldn't mind a 2000 whp zed :teeth:

Well, first thing would be to get it done at the same place for both runs :)

+1 hence why I went back to the same place as before. Confirmed none of their equipment had changed and they loaded up my results from last year to compare temps, conditions etc etc and they were pretty much exactly the same so could confidently discount any major environmental factors effecting the results which is why I am confident I got a sound reading to compare to last years. :thumbs: