Before & after Rolling Road results

Andy

when i've finished modding (hah) you'll have to let me know which one is more favorable. wouldn't mind a 2000 whp zed :teeth:

Well, first thing would be to get it done at the same place for both runs :)

+1 hence why I went back to the same place as before. Confirmed none of their equipment had changed and they loaded up my results from last year to compare temps, conditions etc etc and they were pretty much exactly the same so could confidently discount any major environmental factors effecting the results which is why I am confident I got a sound reading to compare to last years. :thumbs:

Good thread, Andy. These things can never be a precise science but it looks like you've done as much as you possibly could to give a relevant comparison. :thumbs:

Guys im well confused about this ECU topic :headhurt:

Im new to the world of zeds and after reading in the forums about the ECU not allowing any more power to be produced with bolt on mods i phoned a couple of tuners that a friend of mine has used for his 700bhp supra and they have both said that the zeds they hav played with were fine as in the ECU allowed for more power??

couple of questions for you guys:

is it just imports that are ok with bolt ons?

am i right in thinking that a plenum change allows for more power? if so why?

and is the only way around getting more power out of a uk zed with bolt ons like exhausts de cats etc is by using an aftermarket ECU? or piggy back?

cheers

:thumbs:

Guys im well confused about this ECU topic :headhurt:

Im new to the world of zeds and after reading in the forums about the ECU not allowing any more power to be produced with bolt on mods i phoned a couple of tuners that a friend of mine has used for his 700bhp supra and they have both said that the zeds they hav played with were fine as in the ECU allowed for more power??

couple of questions for you guys:

is it just imports that are ok with bolt ons?

am i right in thinking that a plenum change allows for more power? if so why?

and is the only way around getting more power out of a uk zed with bolt ons like exhausts de cats etc is by using an aftermarket ECU? or piggy back?

cheers

:thumbs:

As far as I know, the JDM ECU's are a bit more leniant but still eventually re-calculate after a period of time. Someone else will be able to confirm this I am sure. The Plenum works by directing the air flow more evenly and efficiently to the rather than the standard one which is a bit chaotic. However, this increase of air led to mine running lean so I guess it is a double edged sword. The ECU is the best way forward but better to get some mods first to get the best out of the ECU and setting up time. :thumbs:

Its sooo frustrating!! :rant:

I was planning on playing with my zed by changing the exhaust induction decats plenum etc but now im thinking whats the point ill ending spending the all the money for just sound!!!

I bet an uprated ECU will cost loads!? :scare:

Guest prescience
WHP figure for the run today was 219.9, will have to dig out last years one from the garage tomorrow :thumbs:

Wow, that's a bit low :scare: Usually around the 230 mark at the wheels stock

To give you 268 at the fly, the approximation being added is 23% which is untypically high. Are you sure it's 219.9 :wacko:

I do know someone that has a Unichip with mods and is running at about 338BHP and it cost him about £850 fitted... Will be going the same route as him.

Pain in the arse thing is that they could have put in a ECU that stopped you going over say 350bhp after you had modded it. If you chose not to mod it would have stayed at the 280 stock figure.

Nissan want to make it hard for aftermarket tunning, especially after old gen modded Skylines were running 700 bhp plus on Nissan Ecu. Same with new GTR which will make it even harder to muck about with ECU & bolt on mods being adapted by ECU.

Only diff with JDM ECU is it is mapped to run on 100 octane (or 100plus) fuel so if you fill up with 99 Ron or more here in UK you should see better performance figures than a UK zed, same model, running on see 99 Ron fuel which will be mapped to lower octane fuel.

Im still not sure about his clame to 338bhp! he told me that was on a very happy dyno! lol..

I do know someone that has a Unichip with mods and is running at about 338BHP and it cost him about £850 fitted... Will be going the same route as him.

Pain in the arse thing is that they could have put in a ECU that stopped you going over say 350bhp after you had modded it. If you chose not to mod it would have stayed at the 280 stock figure.

:ninja::ninja:

That's very interesting!! Do you have any more details such as exact mods and where he got the car set up? Cheers.

Guest prescience

I'm not disputing the figure, but assuming it is an MY03 motor, you have to ask yourself whether, if it was that easy and cost-effective to extract nearly 60BHp extra, Nissan would have gone through a minor and major engine re-design to only extract 35Bhp or thereabouts :wacko:

Guest prescience
Ok, it is a bit apples vs oranges, but one can post the same question about the turbo engines produced by Audi/VW.

My TT: bog standard: 180hp 235Nm. After chiptuning 210hp and 340Nm. Why dont they sell it with e.g. 200hp standard then?

I thought they did - 225BHp TT? Anyway, aside from that I could get your TT to much higher power, with some wire applied to your wastegate to keep it shut :p

Milltek recently tested an Audi R8 and found it only had 391bhp instead of the claimed 420bhp.

If any of you think that the ECU on your 350Z is adapting to your mods then reset it. It only takes 45 secs.

350Z ECU Resetting Procedures

Please read all instructions and be familiar with them before any attempts.

A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ONâ€

Ok, it is a bit apples vs oranges, but one can post the same question about the turbo engines produced by Audi/VW.

My TT: bog standard: 180hp 235Nm. After chiptuning 210hp and 340Nm. Why dont they sell it with e.g. 200hp standard then?

I thought they did - 225BHp TT? Anyway, aside from that I could get your TT to much higher power, with some wire applied to your wastegate to keep it shut :p

Yeh there are 2 different TT's one comes with an additional styling pack, including hair straighteners, clips, hairspray and hair extensions...

True, but not something you want to be doing every other day.

Milltek recently tested an Audi R8 and found it only had 391bhp instead of the claimed 420bhp.

If any of you think that the ECU on your 350Z is adapting to your mods then reset it. It only takes 45 secs.

350Z ECU Resetting Procedures

Please read all instructions and be familiar with them before any attempts.

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ONâ€