19" wheels for a 350z (370 OEM wheels?)

Spatt

Hi Folks,

Just a feeler to see whats around, I've been thinking about it for a few months and i want to replace my Volks with something a little more practical. I'm looking at possibly getting some 370 wheels or some concave type wheels.

Does anyone know if theres anything around?.

Oh and yes the Volks will be for sale (probably at the end of summer if i can find something to replace them)

w2_zpsibqzrbxa.jpg

12000808_10153018931896050_1554853059439488855_o_zpszuz8jrje.jpg

Hi Matt.

With those Volks being so damn fine........probably the sweetest rims to adorn a Zed, would it not be an idea to get some OEM 18' Rays for winter.

I saw some on an Azure that were painted white and they looked pretty smart.

You could probably bag a bargain on some battered 2nd hand ones with tyres knowing that you're planning a refurb!

You could then get a glass plate and use the Volks as a feature coffee table in the lounge :teeth:

Hi Folks,

please lets not turn this into a dibs thread for my rims, im testing the water to see what i could replace them with.

I have a set of winter wheels so that isn't the problem.

The problem i have with them is they would simply better suited to a weekend car or show car I frequently go for large GT drives out with friends and although the wheels look great for the first 100 miles or so they get covered in brake dust and take ages to clean because of the design. i'm also worried that in my company they'll start to deteriorate as i dont get chance to clean them up when i get back home each time.

I'm also getting a price for having them lacquered on the rim which should hopefully make them easier to clean up each time

My Dibs was only a joke, I couldn't afford them lol

I see your point now, you're worried they are going to go to waste in your ownership rather than being kept perfect and shown off. I get it. :thumbs:

However, I wouldn't lacquer over the polished lip, one stone chip and the water will ingress and case it to spiderweb, lift and turn white.

I see your point now, you're worried they are going to go to waste in your ownership rather than being kept perfect and shown off. I get it. :thumbs:

However, I wouldn't lacquer over the polished lip, one stone chip and the water will ingress and case it to spiderweb, lift and turn white.

you're probably right.. i need a nice wheel for street use and putting miles on the car. I think after a couple of years these wheels will look terrible and would be much better suited to a show car that only comes out in good weather :thumbs:

Ive spent hours polishing them with rotary die grinder at work but a few weeks later they go back to being pitted :(

you're probably right.. i need a nice wheel for street use and putting miles on the car. I think after a couple of years these wheels will look terrible and would be much better suited to a show car that only comes out in good weather :thumbs:

Ive spent hours polishing them with rotary die grinder at work but a few weeks later they go back to being pitted :(

Do you coat them with anything after polishing?

No not really, i tend to use a wheel wax or recently ive been using WD40s "wax polish" its sprays on and is easy to take off and provides some basic protection. I've found my fronts have become pitted pretty bad and i cant get in with the polisher to get them any better, i may have to split them myself to give them a good clean

I wonder if anyone has tried paint protection film on lips.

I know it would only be the the dished surface and not roll onto the outer edge......and then there's the join line........BUT, it could stop the pitting on the most vulnerable surface where stones and brake dust get battered about like in a tumble dryer.

That also leaves a much easier outer edge to maintain with regards to polishing and maybe using a sealant like Gtechniq C5.

You can tell I really love how these rims set off your zed and would miss seeing you with them on :lol:

No not really, i tend to use a wheel wax or recently ive been using WD40s "wax polish" its sprays on and is easy to take off and provides some basic protection. I've found my fronts have become pitted pretty bad and i cant get in with the polisher to get them any better, i may have to split them myself to give them a good clean

I'm far from an expert so I'm afraid I can't offer any real help, hopefully someone will know more and give you an alternative to having to sell. I'm also interested because I want to get my LMGT4's refurbed and would like to protect the polished/diamond cut lip as best as possible.

I have asked on the detailing threads and i believe the best option is something like a synthetic nano coating. Something like Gtechnique C5 wheel armour.

Wheel waxes and other natural products just dont cut it in the real world. i think if you detail your car and then drive to a show at 55 mph the next morning a rim wax would be fine but diving on the brakes from high speed every 2 minutes tends to layer up the crap on the surface.

I suppose i could wait until winter, split them up myslef, give them a damn good polish and then try to seal them and see if that helps any.

I am guessing the lips are polished, which is why its a pain to keep them looking their best. You do have a few options to make them maintenance free, would be a shame to get rid of such a great wheel just because of a polished lip.

You could lacquer them as you say, but as Kyle says, overtime you will get the odd white worm where water gets in, but i would say, they would last a good 2 or 3 years before you need to do them again, well worth it to keep some epic rims rather than something "practical" that everyone has.

Another option is to get them split and lips polished and then clear anodised, this will protect them for ages and are then a simple wash down as any other wheel, maybe a light rub with some metal polish at the start of a season.