2nd set of wheels to fit track tyres, which diameter?

350_Jer

Hi all,

Hope this hasn't been covered before, I did look but I'm still getting used to the forum so might not have looked in all sub-forums!

Basically I want to get a second set of wheels to fit some trackday tyres, 888's if possible, ran these on my BMW I had before and loved them. Question is do I go for a set of the standard 350z 17" or 18" wheels to get the best tyre size?

I thought I had it sorted until I read on here that if the difference in rolling radius from standard is changed then the traction control plays up, would this matter if the traction control was turned off while the different sized tyres were fitted?

Any advice appreciated, thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

id go for wide 18" wheels, don't seem to get particularly wide tyres in 17" size.

18" rays will be your lightest wheels at reasonable cost, there are lighter wheels out there but they are pricey.

you can then run 245 front and 255 rears, if you want bargain track tyres I can only say good things about Federal 595 RS-Rs which I run on my track beemer.

• Like 1

Federal 595 RS-Rs

CRAAAAZY good tyres! I've also heard that the Nangkang NS2R is a terrific tyre for track too.

Split the tyres on the set up i listed above between the two, both very good tyres, especially at the cost.

Looking forward to the new Nankang AR1

Jetpilot I'd be interested in feedback on ar1, weren't available when I bought my last set of track tyres so got ad08r.

And sorry guys but the rays aren't light, and you don't need to spend 1200 to get lighter, only if you buy brand new.

Lots and lots of lighter wheels out there. I have two sets of regamasters I paid £300 a set for, for instance.

Waiting for the next batch of sizes for the Ar1, due 3 or 4th quarter apparently. The 888's on my vx are getting low so holding out for these, will keep you posted.

Agree there are lots of light wheels about but its finding them, regas, te37's, racing sparco viper r's, bbs rg f1's, mazdaspeed ms01's , ssr type c and gt1's etc (as above ;) )

Edited by Jetpilot

Jetpilot I'd be interested in feedback on ar1, weren't available when I bought my last set of track tyres so got ad08r.

And sorry guys but the rays aren't light, and you don't need to spend 1200 to get lighter, only if you buy brand new.

Lots and lots of lighter wheels out there. I have two sets of regamasters I paid £300 a set for, for instance.

what specs are your regas on instagram they look a little weak

Got 18x8.5 on atm which run 255 front and rear tyres and a set of 17x8/9 staggered but my mates running them on his drift car atm lol

Can't run any wider at the front due to the wise fab :( but hoping to sort the wise fab out and then look at getting something wider but still light

• Like 1

As cheap as the Rays? I mean, I'm not denying there's lighter wheels out there, but you either have to spend more money or find a four leaf clover in a field nailed to a pot of gold whilst a pig circles above.

The rays aren't light though :/ so many other options, they're light compared to the non gt wheels, but as far as forged wheels go, they're quite the heavyweight really.

But yes they are cheap, and look good. And if you can't be bothered to find the better alternatives they are an easy solution

You could save about a kilo if you were inclined with some wheels coming in at low to mid 7kg's, which is a fair bit when it comes to unsprung weight, but in terms of description I would say Rays can be described/classed as light. Just a pity the widths are a bit weak for track work imho.

• Like 1

Wow loads of replies! :) I've got a set of the 18" non-Rays wheels on their way, it's a 2nd set of wheels so wont need them to be road legal. Was going to go for 225/40-18, and 245/40-18 for now, would that be ok to keep the T/C happy? I'm not too worried about going bigger diameter or wider tyres yet, my last car was running 205/50-15's RWD with 250lb/ft torque so I'm used to balancing a car on the throttle! :D