Exhaust options?

supermondo

My exhaust has started blowing. Looks like it's the flange connection to the back box. It's an 03, what are my options?, I've looked at stainless aftermarket boxes on ebay but I don't want a really loud one. Preferably I'd keep it standard but the oem parts seem so expensive...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ohhhhh I LOVE these posts... exactly the same thing happened to me on my 04. Same place, commonly breaks there! Best option I could ever recommend is do what I did, and get an Invidia Gemini true dual cat-back system. Not cheap (around £850) but so so so worth it! Not too loud, but lets out a lovely growl when you open the taps!

This is mine when I first had the exhaust installed :)

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to exhausts, will fitting a stainless cat back cause me any issues with MOTs or emissions?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hey, no it won't cause you any issues at all... fitting a stainless steel system means that the quality will be better and it will not corrode... the invidia gemini for example comes with a lifetime guarantee! :thumbs:

• Like 1

I assume you did your research, so did you choose that exhaust because you liked the sound or the performance benifit? There's quite a few unbranded stainless systems on ebay, would you say they're a no go? There's a japspeed cat back for around £330 are they any good?

I assume you did your research, so did you choose that exhaust because you liked the sound or the performance benifit? There's quite a few unbranded stainless systems on ebay, would you say they're a no go? There's a japspeed cat back for around £330 are they any good?

japspeed are known for being noisy and have had fitment issues

In all honesty, as I live in Luxembourg, I had to get an exhaust with a TÃœV certificate. The only two exhausts that offer this from the factory were Invidia and Milltek.

However, the Invidia Gemini is a bit of a forum favourite as far as I'm aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

japspeed are known for being noisy and have had fitment issues

Well not much of fitment as its minor issues if u r bit handy.

But quality is not so good. I bought K4 Japspeed from cat do end.

After already 1.5 year is looking for replacement. Flexible parts are ruined, I have already opend it twice to weld it from inside

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Moved to the "exhausts" section. ;)

Have a look around as plenty of threads about this supermondo. Does depend on your budget & what sort of sound/look you want with an exhaust so it is definitely a personal choice.

Some info in this thread started the other day by another member regarding options: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/109599-infinity-exhaust/#entry1640407

• Like 2

Although a few negative comments on here I took the risk and ordered a Toyosport off Ebay, managed to get one in an auction for £189 inc delivery instead of the 250 they sell them for that was for Y pipe back, then a couple of days later they reduced the price on the Y pipe so got that too for 107 inc delivery, had it fitted today and my man was impressed with the quality, took him longer to get the stock system off with rusted bolts etc than to fit the new one, went on easy , one tail pipe does hang very slightly lower that the other but so did my stock one, may go back and get the bracket heated and bent if it annoys me enough but it's hardly noticeable !

Sound is slightly deeper than stock not too loud no drone just a good growl when you give it some beans but I have a Mishimoto induction Kit on which adds to the sound a bit too, overall good value for money if (as me ) you don't have the cash to hand for a higher end one .

If you want to stay standard and want a cheap fix for the time being - the flange can be repair by cutting it out and inserting a new piece of pipe in there. I had this done on mine nearly a year and a half ago and it's been good since.

Had loads of trouble finding a garage willing to do anything other than bolting on new pieces, I did finally manage to find somewhere that has some engineering skills and have booked it in for next week. Hopefully they can make good my standard system. If not then I'll definitely go for a stainless option.

Just out of interest, just how much louder is this system than stock in your opinion?

Not much louder, just a bit more bassy and a slight crackle on the overrun , cruising not noticeably louder just a bit more when you push it, more of a deeper tone than anything.

Just out of interest, just how much louder is this system than stock in your opinion?

Not much louder, just a bit more bassy and a slight crackle on the overrun , cruising not noticeably louder just a bit more when you push it, more of a deeper tone than anything.

PS they seem to do two Y pipes if the info is orredt on eBay , 1 2.5" in and 3" out and one says 2.25" in and 2.5" out ,I've got the latter

• 1 month later...

Although a few negative comments on here I took the risk and ordered a Toyosport off Ebay, managed to get one in an auction for £189 inc delivery instead of the 250 they sell them for that was for Y pipe back, then a couple of days later they reduced the price on the Y pipe so got that too for 107 inc delivery, had it fitted today and my man was impressed with the quality, took him longer to get the stock system off with rusted bolts etc than to fit the new one, went on easy , one tail pipe does hang very slightly lower that the other but so did my stock one, may go back and get the bracket heated and bent if it annoys me enough but it's hardly noticeable !

Sound is slightly deeper than stock not too loud no drone just a good growl when you give it some beans but I have a Mishimoto induction Kit on which adds to the sound a bit too, overall good value for money if (as me ) you don't have the cash to hand for a higher end one .

The dealer i bought my Zed from fitted a new toyosports exhaust to mine when i bought her, no issues with it at all, I've had the resonater deleted and decatted and she snarls like a grizzly bear with a migraine now, probably toooo loud for most people but no drone and pretty quiet below 3K revs, over that though and god its loud

• Like 1