New Wheels - Slip Light! Help

AshbyJoe

Hi,

I've just fitted some 19" alloys all with 245/40/19 tyres. I've noticed my slip light flashing when I'm definitely not slipping.

I've done some searching and it tends to be wrong size tyres, is this the case?

Apologies if the answer is already out there.

Thanks,

Joe

So you're not running a staggered set up anymore then?

I used to run 19's on my old Zed ~ front 245/35/19 and rear 275/35/19 ~ never had any slip light issues.

I'm guessing it will be down to a combination of not running the staggered set up & possible the higher profile although the latter may not be the problem.

The G35 tyre sizes of 225/40R19 front with 245/40R19 rear are known to work without issues so that could be a good option. If you want wider then the sizes GMballistic suggested are the most common. It really depends on your wheel widths and offsets though.

I had them off a member on the forum, he had them on his Zed previously so I just assumed the sizing would be okay.

The fronts are in need of changing which I'm doing tomorrow, but the rears have good tread.

Maybe staggering the sizes will nip it in the bud.

I had them off a member on the forum, he had them on his Zed previously so I just assumed the sizing would be okay.

The fronts are in need of changing which I'm doing tomorrow, but the rears have good tread.

Maybe staggering the sizes will nip it in the bud.

Do you know....

Are the alloys the same width? (E.g. 9J)

Are the alloys the same offset? (E.g. ET20)

If so then why not put alloys with the decent tread on the front and then change the rears to a wider tyre like a 265 or 275 width? This is of course providing that the alloy width & offset will allow for the wider tyre on the rear without any rubbing on the arches.

For example, my old alloys which were Rotas had an offset of ET20 both front & rear.

The front alloys running the 245/35/19 tyres were 9.5J whereas the rear alloys running the 275/35/19 tyres were 10.5J. This set up was on a standard height 2003 350Z and caused no slip issues or rubbing issues.

I think not having a staggered set up is most likely your problem.

• Like 1

I've just checked they are all 8.0jj.

I do believe ET40.

Apologies I'm not too clued up on tyre sizes������

What would you recommend ideally keeping the two 245/40s?

Thanks

Definitely put the 245/40 on the back and get some new 225/40 for the front. You can't go any wider really.

I'm surprised those fit due to the high offset, I assume you're running spacers front and rear?

Edited by roadtrip

Okay thanks, I'll get the 225s tomorrow instead of the 245s.

I've not actually got an spacers on them, i asked him if they were required and he said he ran as standard.

Would it be noticeable that I need them?

Definitely put the 245/40 on the back and get some new 225/40 for the front. You can't go any wider really.

^^ That maybe your only sensible option. I think on an 8J rim size 245 is about the maximum width you could fit or would want to fit safely.

See here: http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

350Z wheel specs for OEM alloys: http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wheel_Specifications

Some other tyre related calculators:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=45&diameter=18&wheelwidth=8.0&offset=30&width2=245&aspect2=40&diameter2=19&wheelwidth2=8.00&offset2=40&Submit=Calculate#content

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Okay thanks, I'll get the 225s tomorrow instead of the 245s.

I've not actually got an spacers on them, i asked him if they were required and he said he ran as standard.

Would it be noticeable that I need them?

As long as the wheels aren't causing problems with your brakes or suspension then you don't need spacers. They will certainly look 100% better if you had some spacers on there though.

That's some great info, thanks for your help guys, looks like I'll be having some 225s fitted on the front tomorrow instead and I'll have a look into the spacers.

Thanks again gentsðŸ‘

They're Zito brand, similar looking to the Rays.

When I bought them all tyres were 245/40/19

Then all the tyres are the wrong size. Maybe the previous owner was constantly driving with the traction control off. If I was you, I'd try to flog them off to someone who could use a square set up and the weak offsets would fit they're car better.

Alternatively, buy 4 new tyres of the correct sizes - 245/35/19 and 275/35/19.

• 2 months later...

Hi Joe,just saw your thread now...I have used those wheels for 3 months when I bought the Zed last August and without any issues.

I know is not a great set up hence the fact I changed them and bought some better ones and that is why I let them go for that low price.

I suspect is something else as I never turned off my traction control and had no slip light come on unless it was wet outdoors and I was stepping it a bit...