Turbo Quiz

Zedrush

Just a quick one I know Im going on a bit about turbo but its a path Im gonna have to cross this year to mod the Z.

Now clarifying my wants with a turbo Im looking at the following:

Install a turbo kit that will give me enough power so that the engine will still be reliable and use on a daily drive and wont have to stregthen internals. Sounds nice with no lag and plenty of oomph.

With this in mind I then identified what limitations will proceed me:

Engine good up to 380bhp on standard internals (safety measures)

Ecu will need to be remapped, but if under 400bhp HKS Fcon IS is highly recommended by many tuners as being the perfect tuning for this (Vpower are better suited for cars over 500bhp)

Turbo choosing one with not much lag yet reliable, do I need to bear in mind if years down the line I want more power can i get from the turbo that i have chosen or will I be limited. Even though i say 380bhp will be plenty, 4 years down the line will I want more??

So I gather from this, the Fcon IS I bought will be worth it along with the harnesses and know a perfect tuner who says after the turbo installation will need a day to config. For UK 350z this is great news :yahoo:

The Turbo kit has me choosing between 3,

Greddy: Twin turbo but no ball bearing so will lag as old style of turbo, but the cheapest and has a nice sound, good up to 700bhp claimes

Power Enterprise: Twin turbo less lag as ball bearin, come complete, the most expensive of the three. good up to 600bhp claim

HKS Single turbo: Single Turbo has the least lag out the three so pulls quicker low down, will be restricted to 400bhp if I want to go further with mods later on...

On this note I think I am struggling at deciding which kit to go for :headhurt:

How will you map the Greedy if you go up from the standar power?

After 400bhp then will have to get the Vpower Fcon, before that hks IS is fine.

I will probably have this car for life Mike as am getting myself another car that will be unmodified or slightly next year as daily driver.. Been looking at the Q7 but Amari version. Gonna take for a test drive soon to see what I think. really like the look of it B)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/201149.htm

For me then get the Greddy kit. Its cheaper than the PE kit but if you plan to go above 400bhp anyway then you can get new ball bearing turbos as well as the Vpower Fcon with some of the money you save. 400bhp should be mroe than enough for now. You'll want to improve your skills before you start to get into silly figures.

I will probably have this car for life Mike as am getting myself another car that will be unmodified or slightly next year as daily driver.. Been looking at the Q7 but Amari version. Gonna take for a test drive soon to see what I think. really like the look of it B)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/201149.htm

Amari are right next to me, well 15mins away. Some nice cars in there.

If not the Greddy, then the PE kit.

I dont think you should think about 4 yrs down the line as youl probably want to change it 10000 times by then!

Also IMO 400 bhp is the maximum useable power the car (chasis etc) can handle, this is from various posts & reviews by people who have gone down this route. When I say useable I dont mean being able to use 500 or 600 bhp only in the dry, in a straight line, & probably only after 3rd gear.

If I was in your shoes I would think of 400 bhp as being the cars maximum, (especially if you want it as your daily drive) full stop & plan according to that only. If you want more power in the future I would sell the zed & buy something that was orginally designed with more horsepower in mind. e.g new Nissan GTR / Porsche 997 (S/GT3/turbo) / etc

I dont think you should think about 4 yrs down the line as youl probably want to change it 10000 times by then!

Also IMO 400 bhp is the maximum useable power the car (chasis etc) can handle, this is from various posts & reviews by people who have gone down this route. When I say useable I dont mean being able to use 500 or 600 bhp only in the dry, in a straight line, & probably only after 3rd gear.

If I was in your shoes I would think of 400 bhp as being the cars maximum, (especially if you want it as your daily drive) full stop & plan according to that only. If you want more power in the future I would sell the zed & buy something that was orginally designed with more horsepower in mind. e.g new Nissan GTR / Porsche 997 (S/GT3/turbo) / etc

400 if engine is new, 370-380 otherwise is the safest i heard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Greddy in general has a nice turbo for the money. There are many gripes about it by people that do not purchase it - but the fact remains that most people that purchase the system enjoy it quite a bit. Awesome bang for the buck. Anyone else here have experience with it?

Not yet, have heard though that the Greddy kit is very good but set up for RHD cars, need alot of modification to make it work

• 1 month later...

running 401 BHP at the moment with the APS TT kit. very happy with the set up and use car most days. Would not take the z above 400 living in this country, its scary as hell in the wet as it is!

I would not look back thou, best thing I ever did with the z. its so f**king fast!! If you have the money just do it!

Andy :)

running 401 BHP at the moment with the APS TT kit. very happy with the set up and use car most days. Would not take the z above 400 living in this country, its scary as hell in the wet as it is!

I would not look back thou, best thing I ever did with the z. its so f**king fast!! If you have the money just do it!

Nice B) Be interesting to see how much pressure the engine is under at 400bhp though as that must be close to the limit unless you had a rebuild :blush:

• 1 month later...
I noticed that most of these turbo kits only seem to run at around 7-8 PSI. That seems quite low, is there scope for running at higher boost levels? My GTO use to run at around 10-12 PSI without any engine or fueling mods.

My Cossie peaked at 32 psi on the rolling road. This is with standard crank, con rods, block, head, etc. with new forged Cossie pistons although the standard ones are ok and forged. You won't get away with this with modern engines though. This means if you do want big power it will be vastly expensive, as you will need forged pistons, crank, rods etc. and then there's the risk the block could crack, although I'm not up on the strength of the Zed block.

A single Turbo normaly gives more lag than twin turbos due to the larger airflow needed to spin up the turbine.

If you are sticking to 6psi why not go the SC route, much cheaper?

As a recent APS TT convertee with a "safe" 385 bhp

+10 :D