Mtec v Mintex

Darkside

I am with Commander, you would be hard pushed to notice any definable difference, I am using mtecs and have given them a good work out on 2 track days so far and performance has been up to par with anything else I have used and there is no defects to note.

MTEC discs on mine - drilled and grooved, with Ferodo Premier pads and Goodridge hoses..

Excellent feel and stopping power!

MTEC heat treat their discs after machining, so I'm not worried about cracking due to the drilled holes, and they do look better than dimples imo.

90% of the Mercedes in the car park at work have drilled discs on the front,and what do they know?

Edited by GrahameJ
  • Like 1

^^^ The joys of internet scaremongering.

Just to scare you even more, I spotted an Aston Martin DB9 today, and that had drilled discs on front and rear!

What do they know about stopping from high speeds?

^^^ The joys of internet scaremongering.

Just to scare you even more, I spotted an Aston Martin DB9 today, and that had drilled discs on front and rear!

What do they know about stopping from high speeds?

Don't they use some exotic ceramic stuff to make them? :)

if the disc is cast with holes in it then it will be fine, no weaknesses are introduced. which will be how all aston, Mercedes, BMW msport discs will be made.

the problem comes when discs that are cast solid then have holes drilled into them, and are then subjected to high temps. I've seen a couple of cheap drilled discs develop cracks on track cars, so its definitely not just an internet myth.

its definitely not just an internet myth.

Where did I say it was a myth?

I said it was scaremongering because somewhere, someone has read about a cracked disc. I have read people have bottom end failures on 350z, should I sell mine becuase they blow up?

• Like 1

i'm just saying consider your intended usage before buying - in general day to day driving i'm sure cheap drilled discs will be fine. But having seen the effect first hand on my own car, if you like spirited driving or trackdays especially, i'd spend a bit of extra money and get something reputable.

• 3 weeks later...

Performance Friction...

Drilled AND reputible...

TBA, yea ahd worry if ah was in a car lappin Knockhill like a was testin for Ron Dennis with a cheap Ebay disc coz, yea, things break when you drive like that...

Buy the best you can afford, forget about cracks, get on track, learn their limits and have belief doing it... Belief is everything...

• 2 weeks later...

I have MTEC discs with brembo pads fitted and can't say I noticed anything special about them. Then the other day, under heavy braking, they started juddering like mad. About 5 minutes later they were back to normal. I have no idea why this happened (maybe the discs got too hot) but its put me off this setup and will be looking at different solutions. Just my experience with them, they have been fitted on the car around 2 months so far.

Edited by Smc1992