Engine bay cleaning

Andy

I have heard mixed things about cleaning engine bays in the past regarding getting electrics wet etc, etc...

What recommendations can anyone give me on what to do and what not to do as far as cleaning the engine goes such as use a hose or not etc.

I have a Rolling Road day in a couple of weeks and i'd like my engine bay to look slightly less dirty for the pictures! :lol:

Ta muchly!

Everyone will tell you not to use a pressure washer , but I always do on my cars..

Spray on a bit of degreaser , scrub in well ., pressure hose off , then spray on a weak solution of TFR then hose off again,, will come up like new :thumbs:

My Zed

P1010006-3.jpg

my Jag engine bay

jag2001.jpg

My GTO before

mitsbefore.jpg

and after

mitsafter.jpg

I use a roll of cling film, AG Engine and Machine Cleaner, an alloy wheel brush and hose with sprinkler attachment and AG Vinyl and Rubber Care.

I just look for anything with a wire near it and wrap dry cling film around it, then cover the engine bay with the AG Cleaner. Then use the alloy wheel brush to agitate it and rinse with the hose very lightly and use an old cloth to wipe everything over. This helps cut down on the amount of water needed and you can be a bit more accurate with the clean.

Start the engine and make sure that nothing is failing, the belts will squeak and let the engine warm to remove moisture, don't put it away wet!

Then use the AG Vinyl and Rubber care with a liberal spray and wipe with a cloth. You can have either a matt or slightly shiny finish depending how you treat it.

Before

DSCF1117.jpg

After

DSCF1119.jpg

:)

Nobody can see under the bonnet so why bother? :p

Nobody can see in your pants , doesnt mean to say you dont have to give your tackle a wash every now and then? or dont you bother with that either :lol:

Some people do see in my pants, on a regular basis might I add B)

I use a roll of cling film, AG Engine and Machine Cleaner, an alloy wheel brush and hose with sprinkler attachment and AG Vinyl and Rubber Care.

I just put mine in the washing machine! :lol:

Yours aren't rubber!! :p:lol:

Nobody can see in your pants , doesnt mean to say you dont have to give your tackle a wash every now and then? or dont you bother with that either :lol:

:lol:

priceless :lol::lol: :lol:

+1 Lovely riposte there, Tim. :thumbs:

With H5 on this. I also use the left blower to remove any excess water, and take for a quick trip around the block. Normally does it.

The beaZty will be entering show season in 2 weeks, this weekend will be hard out Zed cleaning. Engine bay will be fully detailed, eeks, out come the soft tiny brushes for painting on detailer. :teeth:

I'll try to remember to do some before and after shots. ;)

With H5 on this. I also use the left blower to remove any excess water, and take for a quick trip around the block. Normally does it.

The beaZty will be entering show season in 2 weeks, this weekend will be hard out Zed cleaning. Engine bay will be fully detailed, eeks, out come the soft tiny brushes for painting on detailer. :teeth:

I'll try to remember to do some before and after shots. ;)

Full write-up would be good :thumbs:

I have pressure washed most of my car engines. As long as you are careful - the cling film idea is a good one - there should not be a problem.

A degreasant followed by elbow grease, a good drying and lots of scrubbing will make a great difference

My eldest lads first car

This

Enginebefore.jpg

became this

Engine1stclean.jpg

in an afternoon.

The car was free, the effort was paid for with beer.

Ming the Blinger

And no response from Sarnie on that one Tim :thumbs: Think you dealt him a knockout blow :boxing::lol:

And no response from Sarnie on that one Tim :thumbs: Think you dealt him a knockout blow :boxing::lol:

doubt it , whenever a chance for a good spam post arises I'm sure Ol Sarnie will rise to the challenge :lol:

That's because its taking him so long to scrub down his engine bay and tackle :lol:

That's because its taking him so long to scrub down his engine bay and tackle :lol:

wont take that long for his " tackle" :teeth: