Comparison against a bug eye Imprezza STI?

Jay Kay

Wrx youll beat all day.

have more trouble with a sti.

scoobys are more about getting up to 70 quickly, not 70+ - their top end is pretty low.

will be a lot harder in corners, but most of them are driven by people that cant drive.

be aware though, for very little money they can get a big power jump. and then any chance you did have is gone.

I used to have a hawkeye STi and it would have destroyed my zed up to 70. After that it felt like it was going to rattle itself to bits but could still quickly and easily make 140+. Is there such thing as a stock Impreza? I put an exhaust on, remapped and was running 400bhp.

Basically they are faster point to point and much easier to drive very quickly in the twisties. I can't see many zeds getting near them unless in three figures in a straight line. I wouldn't bother mate.

Edited by mdunbar

Hawkeye STIs also have the benefit of the DCCD (driver controlled centre differential) which I don't believe the bugeye STI had.

Are the scoobys fun to drive? I was thinking of picking up an older WRX (possibly STI) for trackdays and some backroad twisty fun but have yet to drive one. The STI seems a good bit more highly strung than the standard WRX - engine rebuilds are significantly more from what I've been told.

The 2L STi lump is hysterical when properly tuned to about 330bhp. Our old blobeye PPP one would easily keep my 911 in sights on pretty much any road you'd care to mention, it had bags of feel on turn in and with the DCCD you could essentially make it slide on a penny on command. Such a frenetic engine too, one of the all-time greats for me, and with just the right amount of driver involvement that the Evo of the era always struggled to match, even if it beat the Impreza for pace.

The WRX has the chocolate gearbox, but the STi is pretty much bulletproof in that regard. I wouldn't own a WRX as the ones we tested felt very tame, but the STi? I'd have another in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

The 2L STi lump is hysterical when properly tuned to about 330bhp. Our old blobeye PPP one would easily keep my 911 in sights on pretty much any road you'd care to mention, it had bags of feel on turn in and with the DCCD you could essentially make it slide on a penny on command. Such a frenetic engine too, one of the all-time greats for me, and with just the right amount of driver involvement that the Evo of the era always struggled to match, even if it beat the Impreza for pace.

The WRX has the chocolate gearbox, but the STi is pretty much bulletproof in that regard. I wouldn't own a WRX as the ones we tested felt very tame, but the STi? I'd have another in a heartbeat.

Would you pick the sti over the evo? Lets say either type uk sti or evo 8 fq300.... ?

STi, without doubt.

That said, I wouldn't have the 2.5L Impreza, I'd go for a 2L but a late one, so you still get the wider track and the DCCD. Basically, exactly the same car we had :lol: I prefer the styling of the Evo, and it's definitely quicker, but it sounds rubbish and it's not quite got the same finesse.

with just the right amount of driver involvement that the Evo of the era always struggled to match,

Controversial :scare:

TBH Ive never had a decent run in a blobeye but I found the Evo a proper involving car, had a sweat on many a time while driving it. Are they that good?

I think so, yeah. I mean, I like the Evo as a car and I wouldn't hate you if you gave me one (fnar), and I admit my only experience is with the aforementioned 8 FQ300, but I found it a tad harsher, less playful. Definitely quicker, and perhaps a better gearchange, but I found the Impreza to be more slidey and with more feedback. :)

• Like 1

I wouldn't recommend an Impreza to anyone to be honest. I bought mine after selling my first Zed back in 2006. I needed four doors and like fast cars/bikes and driving. It's never about going from A to B for me.

As I said it was ridiculously fast and handled exceptionally but it wasn't fun to drive in my opinion. It just seemed to drive itself... was like driving in an xbox game in that you didn't really feel involved. Depends what you like I guess. I'd rather go slower now and enjoy the drive/ride more and be involved with the process.

Sorry, I would recommend it to someone... traffic light racers. You'd love it.

I can imagine! The stock Z is no slouch and still quick enough for the UK roads. It gave someone in a brand new focus ST a surprise yesterday, I fully expected him to walk me but the Z pulled hard on him in 4th, I was quite surprised actually after the whole ST thread on here :lol:

Although Ive never owned an Impreza, so cant comment on the performance, It was between my 08 HR and an 07 Wrx Prodrive when I was looking to buy. I know that sort of thing may not be important to you but you get a lot more admiration in the Z than a Scooby IMO :)

Agree with Ekona on this.

I've currently got a completely unmodified 2005 STi 2.0 widetrack DCCD PPP. Although I've never driven a 350, the standard 370z's I've driven wouldn't come close I'm afraid.