Front wheel bearing grumble (mostly at the stupid price)

Spoons

Morning all,

Just a quick one really if you don't mind indulging!

My front left wheel bearing has started to grumble. So on to the Web I went and looked at some sellers on here and the usual eBay hunt. I was gob smacked to see a price even though it includes the hub assey. At £200 pluss it just seems stupid for what is a major basic part.

Found this on eBayhttp://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111688884843

Has anyone tried these?

The difference in price is huge but even if it only lasted the 2 year warranty at that price you could replace it almost three times for the price of one from other places.

Can't believe the quality would be that much inferior.

Finally has anyone just change the bearing itself? If so do you have a bearing part number for one that fits the hub on a 2008 HR. Although I believe there all the same, correct me by all means if Im wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply in advance.

You could try Clark Motorsport, Horsham and Cougar Storee, all on here, for new parts.

Cheers iv asked the question, will have to see if they get anywhere near the eBay item price. I take it you have had no experience with those ones.

PM :pmzmanalex: He my have new and used.

Thanks Ken, :thumbs:

OP: The bearing assy in your ebay listing is an after market unit and that is the reason that it is cheap, and this is the only way that they come with the hub and abs pick up ring.

The hub assy comes as a unit for very good reasons.

Alex. :)

Thanks Alex, I assume when you say for good reason your referring to going beyond taking 4 bolts out it becomes a ball ache to do it any other way. I'll pm you to find out your price if thats how it's done.

OP: The bearing assy in your ebay listing is an after market unit and that is the reason that it is cheap, and this is the only way that they come with the hub and abs pick up ring.

Thanks Alex, I assume when you say for good reason your referring to going beyond taking 4 bolts out it becomes a ball ache to do it any other way. I'll pm you to find out your price if thats how it's done.

No, simplicity is not the reason for replacing the complete unit.

CMS have OEM genuine Nissan in stock but I guess that you already know that and are looking for a cheaper option.

You could try Clark Motorsport, Horsham and Cougar Storee, all on here, for new parts.

Cheers iv asked the question, will have to see if they get anywhere near the eBay item price. I take it you have had no experience with those ones.

No I haven't, TBH I tend to get mechanical parts off here and bulbs and wotnot off eBay.

OP: The bearing assy in your ebay listing is an after market unit and t

CMS have OEM genuine Nissan in stock but I guess that you already know that and are looking for a cheaper option.

I have looked at them yes cheers. At the price they are asking for that one item it should make a 350z a 200k super car lol. If I had to do all four corners at that price it would be a 9th of what I payed for the car. Call me a tight Yorkshire man but just doesn't make sense.

Tbh I've just replaced one of mine and just went with the Clark motorsports one myself, I did look at the eBay ones but at the end of the day it's one of the only things holding your wheel to the car, why comprise?

Oh and you can't really compare the cost of the cars now to the running costs, there's plenty of cheep cars out there today that still cost a fortune to keep in good condition

If I were you I'd shop around to find the cheapest genuine one and buy that

Tbh I've just replaced one of mine and just went with the Clark motorsports one myself, I did look at the eBay ones but at the end of the day it's one of the only things holding your wheel to the car, why comprise?

Oh and you can't really compare the cost of the cars now to the running costs, there's plenty of cheep cars out there today that still cost a fortune to keep in good condition

If I were you I'd shop around to find the cheapest genuine one and buy that

Thanks for the input. I can understand your concerns regarding a failure. looking at the construction however, I think it's highly unlikely even if the bearing failed that the wheel would fly off down the road without you.

I have since posting this spoken to a fellow engineer, who said he had used the aftermarket bearings from this company and was more than happy with the quality and performance. With a two year warranty that is a year longer than any others iv seen, if they offer one at all. They must have some faith in the standard of the part.

I think I will have to be the the Guinea pig by the looks and hopefully report back, and save a lot more Z owners from been ripped off.

Edited by Spoons

For what it's worth, I've just fitted a cheap, 55 quid eBay job. Only done a few miles so far, but fit and perceived quality seem good. To be honest, if a company can build the hub, studs, carrier and insert the bearing (which is likely from another firm anyway) to the tolerance that fits in the suspension arm hole. I can't see what they could really have cut back on?! It takes a certain level of quality just to make the part, thus I'm pretty confident it will last. Probably not as long as OEM, but I'm with the OP. For the 1hour it took to fit, I'd rather replace four times as often and pocket the initial savings.

• Like 1

Yep, I bought the front hubs for my HR from that exact same outfit... Probably three years and somewhere around 30k miles ago - fitted them myself. I've done a lot of miles on motorways, the awful b-roads where I live, and a couple of trips around the alps on them - all without any issues whatsoever.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Blazemaguire and Commander thanks both for shedding some sense and more to the point tried and tested info.

People should realise that been a genuine part doesn't always mean good standard. Look at VW and now Mitsi that have cut corners and fit bad parts.

With the multiple issues I have heard about sincro gearbox problems and bellow spec oil gallery gaskets on the Z. I wouldn't pit all my faith in everything Nissan knocks out part wise.

That said I love the Z to bits, it's character it addictive. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Edited by Spoons