Meets, Shows and Events Sub forum ideas

Grundy

Just some things I've personally noticed this year round due to the Japfest event. I have a few ideas that all pretty much tie in together.

1. - New Sub Forum - 'Convoys' An area dedicated for people looking to arrange convoys to designated event. At the moment we have about 10 different threads going at the moment in different regional areas. This works, however there is a fault. Judging by a few people I've seen crop up now and then, members subscribe to certain sub forums, such as there retrospective local area. That's fine. However a lot of the times there is a convoy going on, which passes through or is near said persons area, But they don't see that thread because it isn't in their regional area they are subscribed to. We have to understand that not everyone on this forum uses it daily, knows all it's features and layouts etc. For example I see a lot of comments to new comers say - PM such and such - to an 'outsider, it's not always that easy to follow those instructions, as simple as they may sound) So expecting them to look through each sub forum can't really be expected.

This then leads me on to suggestion number 2.

2. - Major events and Regional Area's. - IMO a rule should be set in place. Events like Japfest/Trax/JAE/Wales etc all usually come under Major events. Which is good. However things like Ace Cafe/Incarnation/ meet come under regional. I think ALL meets that are like the above should be in one Sub Forum. Why? Because I think we need to set a precedence that people should sub that area for the events, because the ones that subscribe to regional meets don't get notifications of whats going on (Yes this is there fault for not looking/Subbing to Major - But thats my goal, get people to sub to Major) With Incarnation, it's a big event (Not Japfest huge, but there is a large turnout of cars) Now if I didn't use 'View New Content' I wouldn't know it existed unless I looked through each regional area. I'm only 40mins away, but because it's in South East, I'm not going to see it. And I feel this could be the same for a lot more members on the fourm.

Why did I raise this point? Because I noticed on a thread in one of the convoys, Someone popped up basically saying does any one have a spare ticket, or where can I get a ticket from etc. That to me seems like they aren't even aware of the main Japfest thread because they only got an email to say - A new thread has popped up in such and such forum.

So what's the point in Regional Area's Sub forum? - Keep it, and use it just for Local organised meets, not for Shows and Events. If I was going to organise a local meet at a local pub that wasn't going to be anything exciting other than parking up in a pub car park, I'd use the regional area, as it's not a Big Event, It's not worth Travelling down 3 hours from north to attend etc.

I totally rambled on here, and it doesn't even effect me in the slightest :lol: But the overall goal here might generate a larger turnout to events through out the year.

3. - I've just literally noticed this one whilst I was typing up the below TL:DR. Sort out the Meets, Shows and Events area :lol: Lock that down. You need just Big UK Events and Regional. The Meets, Shows, and Events forum should just then lead to the Major and Regional. Peoeple should be able to post in that section. Whats the point? It's got so messy right there. You've got people organising mini meets, asking about events, asking where people are from. This should be a tidy area which is clear for everyone to know whats going on - I.e. links to two sub Forums. Events for the UK throughout the year and Regional area for people to organise mini meets.

(Change #3 I've cut short as I'm hungry and want lunch)

TL:DR? -

Keep Regional Area's to just local pub meets.

Make use of the Major Event Don't be afraid to post a big event in there.

Add a new sub forum for people to post convoy threads in, keep it in one place.

Set some rules to make finding an event easier.

Hopefully it's not just me who see's it this way :lol:

Let me know your thoughts.

Edit

Links to what I'm talking about. These are no means digs at people who started the thread, as we have no rules as to where these threads go.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/20-meets-shows-and-events/ - This is the main forum for Events. This then cascades down to two sub forums. Major and Regional.

I personally feel there is no need for posts to be placed here as we have the two sub forums. Here are events which should be in the Major sub forum.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/105406-jap-day-14th-may/ (Although this one should really have information in the opening post. List of names, but didn't see information on payment etc)

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/106739-wings-and-wheels-at-dunsfold-28th-of-august/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/106014-nissan-day-2016-niss-day-sunday-14th-august-rockingham/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/107035-supercar-siege-brands-hatch-sun-8th-may/ - An event at Brands, hardly any activity.

Then there are just a list of other random threads, Convoys, Any meets coming up, Tunnel runs etc. That just are lost in the abys.

We should have a template of some sort when organising a meet. I.e. Tunnel Run. That header doesn't' do it justice. Maybe London Tunnel Run, Hampshire Drive, Dartford Run etc. This helps people know where it is straight away without looking at it.

So I guess a fourth suggestion - Event Post Templates. A structure when organising an event. Not just, Meet going on over here, anyone want to come?

Edited by Grundy@TeamTarmac
  • Like 5

Can I make an alternative suggestion, one that's perhaps more radical? Ditch the sub-forums altogether.

If we had two main forums, National & Local, then a sub forum in each entitled Convoys, we could reach a much bigger market. National meets will sell themselves, you could happily sub forum out each even if you wanted. What I'm talking about helping really is the local ones.

If we got REALLY strict on thread titles, this would be very easy to do. I'm thinking something like this:

1. ESSEX - Pub meet at The **** Inn, Tiny Village, 25-4-16

2. YORKSHIRE - Run out across t'moors, Even Tinier Village, 17-7-16

3. SCOTLAND - Haggis eating competition, Hamlet Of Four Men & A Sheep, 3-11-16

...and so on. Very easy to scan by eye as to events local to you (hell, even the search function would work perfectly with that!), keeps everything so simple, but allows everyone to see what is out there and when. Keep a sub-forum for convoys, with the same naming scheme. If people don't name their threads properly (and they won't!) then it's not too hard for a mod to change. If you want a volunteer mod just for that task, then I'll do it: You can set permissions so I can only mod in that forum and keep me barred from the main mods forum.

Biggest issue I can see is with potential meet discussions, but that could be done like so:

1. LONDON - Potential pub meet, June/July 2016?

2. CORNWALL - Drive out, weekend of 23/24 April 2016?

Again, a question mark should always be added. Easy as that. :)

I just feel we're not really making the most of the events section, and it's too convoluted for it's own good. So yeah, merge what Grundy said here and I reckon we could sort this out easy.

• Like 1

For convoys could a map with plotted route be uploaded, inc pre designated stops from whatever area (say south) and members can join along the way say coming from the west/east etc, getting closer to the venue you would then have a good size convoy going as people have taken the opportunity to tag on, if thats peoples bag of course.

If you follow Fannys idea of two sections, why not just add a third for proposed rather than just a ?, soon as it becomes a definite it gets transferred to Local.

Edited by Jetpilot

I was joking.

I think all the mods are at Alton Towers today anyway.

If I was a mod Id give everyone a warning point, just because I could. Even other mods.

If Alton Towers is in Oldham.............................

I was joking.

I think all the mods are at Alton Towers today anyway.

If I was a mod Id give everyone a warning point, just because I could. Even other mods.

If Alton Towers is in Oldham.............................

I dont think it is Graham. More Derby way :p

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fanny danny - ekona

It was Danny Fanny, actually :p:lol:

I thought about another sub-forum for proposed meets, but then it's just one more click for the lazy who may want to go to an event, but won't put their name down unless it's right in front of them. Definitely worth trying though, we could always merge if it doesn't work :thumbs: