VDC off?

88 Zed

Hi all, ive had my zed for about 8 months now and all is good!

My previous car was a CTR and that handled really well, that well that i cant seem to get the same level of confidence out of the 350.

Now i have very limited track experience and i know that the 350 being real wheel drive is a completely different kettle of fish but my question is......

How much dose the VDC interfere when driving enthusiastically?

Ive been pushing the car a little bit further (road conditions and traffic depending) each time i get a chance, most of the time with VDC off, except for the other day. I entered a long right hand bend at around 55/ 60 and the VDC/ slip light showed its face and slowed me down. The civic would easily do 70mph in the same conditions.

This makes me think that if the VDC was off it could have gone really wrong. Or would it? Would it have been controllable (obviously depending on the driver) or would i have been in a bit of a muddle?

Tough question i know 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will intervene if it detects a certain amount of slip from the wheels. That exact figure I don't know, I'd guess around 3-5% from experience.

In your example, you have to remember that weight transfer is key. In the CTR, if you go in to fast then all you do is understeer, as the wheels cannot turn and transfer all the power at the same time. To fix this, you simply lift off a fraction. In the Zed, if you enter too fast then the back end will overtake the front as that's where the power is coming from, assuming a steady or increasing throttle. My guess is that you braked/lifted as you entered the corner, and then got back on the power too early. This caused the rear end to light up, which the VDC quickly decided (rightly) was a bad idea and so cut power. Basically, and without sounding too patronising, you're going to have to learn how to drive! ;)

RWD isn't easy, especially if you've come straight from FWD. It does take time, and after a while yes, you will be able to go quicker with VDC off as you actually want the car to be in a neutral four wheel slide as you enter a corner, but if you're still finding the VDC kicking in unexpectedly then I'd be leaving it on for now.

That said, in your specific case check the basics. What tyres & sizes do you have on? Pressures? Tread remaining? What geo are you running? Got the spare wheel still in? It might well be something fixable rather than your own skill.

• Like 1

Im savvy with the basics of oversteer and understeer and ive always been keen to learn about driving techniques to keep weight transfer to a minimum, ive even dabbled with a bit of left foot braking in the past.

My boss used to race XR3is at club level years ago and he thinks i would benefit from a super trail?

Also a college of mine has raced grass track since he was very young and they have both explained all about the different techniques to get around a corner quickly!

Im not saying im a good driver just that i understand some of the principles 😊

As for the car, its still got the spare in and its running 225/45/18 proxys on the front and 245/45/18 kumhos on the back, with 32 psi all around, checked weekly as im a vehicle technician and constantly see people wrecking there cars because of the lack of simple checks!

And as far as i can recall i didn't go anywhere near the brake during the corner, id changed gear and got the car ready to turn in slowly well before.

The one thing i can think of is that the previous owner has lowered the car but only fitted the springs (the civic was lowered with springs and shocks)

More grip on one axel than the other?

I bought the kumhos because they were good in the wet on the civic and its my daily drive so i wanted some i trusted.

It might be time to get a full summer set then!

As has been said matching tyres would be a good plan, and all at 35psi.

MPSS are highly thought of.

Book a track session and get to know the car and practice with the VDC on and off.

If you are competent then you will soon be running with the VDC off every time, except when extreme weather conditions prevail.

• Like 1

Can you book tutoring in with the sessions or is that big money?

Ive been on quite a few of those christmas and birthday super car experience things but you get very limited track time and they don't encourage quick lap times, which is understandable!

No, get yourself to a proper open pit lane track event, some of which will offer tuition, sometimes free, however best to get at least one track day under your belt before you think of tuition.

Open pit lane track events can be as little as a 2 hour session up to a full day.

Edited by ZMANALEX

Cool ill look into that, im not planning on becoming the next lewis hamilton i just want to be confident that i can control a car under different circumstances really ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Mixed tyres. Causes vehicle instability on high speed turn in, that's the first thing I'd change.

Weird how I didnt ever have that problem ;)

VDC can do two things, it either cuts power to the rear wheels if it senses that they are slipping, or it will fiore the front brakes if it feels there is a speed difference between front and back (understeer).

I personally found the whole system to be oversensitive so binned it off but its worthwhile keeping it in play until youre confident that you know what youre up to.

• Like 1

Mixed tyres. Causes vehicle instability on high speed turn in, that's the first thing I'd change.

Weird how I didnt ever have that problem ;)

VDC can do two things, it either cuts power to the rear wheels if it senses that they are slipping, or it will fiore the front brakes if it feels there is a speed difference between front and back (understeer).

I personally found the whole system to be oversensitive so binned it off but its worthwhile keeping it in play until youre confident that you know what youre up to.

It dose seem to interfere quite a bit but when its switched off its not a handful at all.

Its most likely a combination of my driving and the lack of proper suspension set up and mid range tyres, i was just curious of how and when it works because the CTR managed the same bend alot faster without driver aids.

Saying that i will be keeping it installed! Im not that 100% confident that id know how to handle it if i got it well out of control.

FWD generally inspires more confidence than RWD anyway, particularly if youre used to it but if the VDC is coming on before the car is anywhere near the limit of grip you might have another problem - maybe a dodgy ABS sensor or an alignment issue. Worth checking that your brake fluid is topped up as this can do funny things to VDC as well.

In the dry you shouldnt really be seeing VDC at all unless youre driving like a right tool, there might be something else up here.

I tried the same corner again tonight, but a lot slower and tried accelerating out of it and the VDC was all over the place, im pretty sure it would have been fine with it switched off!

Its hard to tell but i think i felt a bit of understeer, just cant tell if it was or it was the VDC.

Its annoying because the car feels great in all other situations, plenty of grip from the rear.

Edited by 88 Zed

Yea it's all pointing towards the geometry isn't it.

Anybody know of any decent places to get it checked out? My garages alignment equipment is limited to a set of old tracking gauges unfortunalty.

• Like 1

Yea it's all pointing towards the geometry isn't it.

Anybody know of any decent places to get it checked out? My garages alignment equipment is limited to a set of old tracking gauges unfortunalty.

Not sure where in your area would do it but you need to get it setup by a garage that uses Hunter or Hoffman alignment equipment.

No, you don't. You just need it set up by someone who knows what they're doing. I've seen race cars set up with string and given perfect geos, and I've seen cars on Hunter machines crab around the first corner.

Go somewhere decent first and foremost.

I had the same the other day. Coming from a clio 172 to a 350z I'm about 15mph slower around a large motorway roundabout near me. I had no problems with the traction coming on but the back end felt very light. Just held it there all the way around. Felt that if I had applied more power it would have spun out. Iv had a play with traction off but not at high speed yet. I'm just slowly getting used to it. When I had the clio at first I was young and daft but after owning it for 3 year and slowly getting used to it wow I could make that car dance, it was like the car was a part of you. I'm just hoping eventually ill get the same feeling in the z

• Like 1

Just turn it off and see how you get on. What's the worst that could happen 😉

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Well! My step bro knocked down one of the lampposts years ago in a montego on the same bend so i suppose i could help update the rest of them