Car won't start - dash lights up but just clicks instead of starting

Mucksley

I have an unusual problem I hope someone will be able to help with. Only use my 350z roadster when the sun shines so not much recently. Replaced battery 9 months ago but when I go to the car to start after 7-10 days all the dashboard lights come on but the engine won't turn, I get a clicking noise and the dashboard lights flash a bit. If I attach jump leads the car starts first time? Volts on the dashboard shows 15? Is the battery on its way out?

Any help greatly appreciated.

What do the battery volts say before you start it?

Mine gets a bit sluggish if I don't start it for a week or so especially during the cold weather. If the battery is only 9 months old I would suggest a good couple of days on the charger (I've a ctek mxs5) to boost it up. And then after that start it regularly

If that doesn't resolve it the battery is probably suffering from a deep discharge and may well be unrecoverable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paul K

Either very low amperage in the battery, loose battery terminal or starter motor wiring connections, most likely a duff battery due to the fact it starts ok on jump leads. One thing batteries don't like is being left to sit with no use. If you have access to a battery charger remove the battery and put it on a slow / trickle charge and try again.

• Like 1

Totally agree with the other guys. People forget that the alarm system trickles away at the battery and if it's cold, it's a recipe for a serious loss of power. Get that battery off for a nice long trickle charge and start AND RUN regularly otherwise you'll lose a lot of power on startup and won't recharge properly on tick over.

Hope we have all been of assistance. :D

I have an unusual problem I hope someone will be able to help with. Only use my 350z roadster when the sun shines so not much recently. Replaced battery 9 months ago but when I go to the car to start after 7-10 days all the dashboard lights come on but the engine won't turn, I get a clicking noise and the dashboard lights flash a bit. If I attach jump leads the car starts first time? Volts on the dashboard shows 15? Is the battery on its way out?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Considering the age of the battery it's worth attempting a full recharge. I had to replace the original battery on my Zed after 2 years probably because it was left standing for over a month in both the summer of 2007 and 2008. Also, many batteries have a 4 year warranty, like the Varta I just bought for Caroline's Zed, worth checking if there's any paperwork attached to the side of the battery.

Pete

15 volts is overcharging I'd say.

The reg on the alternator could be toast and it's fried the battery.

Should be around 13.8 to 14.5 at idle...or there abouts. Someone will know the exact figures for the zed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk