Vibra-technics engine mounts :-)

RobPhoboS

So I decided that I'd renew my engine mounts, and Vibra-technics seem to have a good reputation for all sorts of cars.

They'll be going on this Monday.

It'll be interesting to see how, if at all, there is any difference between these and one of those engine dampers which I installed last week. (that thing definitely works)

I got them for £225 including delivery.

DSC_0030_zpswbtgcomn.jpg

DSC_0029_zpsba1q9be5.jpg

DSC_0031_zpsrnz7unfy.jpg

• Like 2

It will transfer a lot of vibration in the car, be prepared for that :) Also, not easy to fit without a ramp and an engine crane :)

I did my reading first, looked at other cars and since it's not a 'daily' and I have other parts with are solid/poly - it's fine by me but a warning to others for sure.

I'm pretty strong, so I reckon I can do it :lol:

Ok ok ... It's off to Kaizer on Monday morning, after looking at the tutorial here, I didn't fancy it without seeing how it's done first of all:

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/548432-motor-mount-replacement.html

Also I have access to a ramp pretty much all of the time now :yahoo:

From the way the z engine moves on the mounts, my money on these not being better than a damper...... But im keen to see the results :D

I had some on mine, was very impressed, no additional vibration and actually felt like it tightened up the front of the car too. They also dont fail like homemade lower arms might do, for instance ;):p

• Like 3

I've just landed back home from a trip to Kaizer Motor as it's certainly not a job I was up for doing, even with access to a car ramp.

A HUGE thank you to Sly and the team, they are a brilliant bunch and are worth heading over to.

A couple of things to point out, I did want to take some snaps to show others but I didn't want to get in the way of the guys working on it so I left them to it.

You'll probably need to do what they did and have a piece of 1/2inch square rod welded to a socket, as access to one of the bolts isn't even visible !

Lastly, it sounded like there is one bolt that goes into the engine block, obviously this is one you do NOT want to f-up.

Check that thread I linked a few posts back as that will show you just how tricky it is, and much credit to the Kaizer team I didn't hear one swear word shouted out at the car or me :lol:

My journey back was just slow going motorway guff as I was up around 5:30am, and feeling the burn.

However what I can say is that I can't feel an increase in vibration at all, most probably because I have various parts changed to poly or spherical bushings already. The engine feels far more connected to the chassis now, it's very noticeable when you go over undulations as the car feels connected to the road now whereas before it would float up momentarily then come down.

So far it's all positive, aside from spending a wee bit of cash but the car feels tight :)

The engine damper is still connected but on the weekend I'll still get a video to show with it on/off.

Here are the old ones:

IMAG1426_zpsgam5w0x3.jpg

(a bit of weight saving from the VT's - they come in around 1025g)

IMAG1427_zps5eyyhehy.jpg

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 1

Well after pedalling around a little more, not too much as I'm still waiting for some other parts from the US, and require my geo sorting after but...

I can definitely say they have improved gear shifting even more, the 'box feel's lovely now.

Also the transmission of power to the wheels has noticeably improved, far, far less slack now and as mentioned before the engine isn't floating up ahead, so the suspension is doing more of what it should do :thumbs:

It would be interesting to compare back to back the solid mounts vs the poly engine mounts. My solid mounts made everything direct same as per your feedback Tim except the NVH is very significant but my whole car has solid bushes everywhere so its acceptable to me but would strongly advice iagainst for those non hard cire guys👀. I still have the stillen damper attached but don't think its confributing to anything now.

• Like 1