Looking for a standard HR

jowen7448

Morning all,

I am hoping to find a nice standard HR zed, the decent ones at various stealers seem to be a little heavily priced in my opinion but I'm not in a rush, would rather wait and get a nice one at the price I want as it will be my daily.

I don't have a fixed budget in mind as this will depend on the car but really would like a completely standard uk GT coupe.

If I had a wish list it would be black with low miles and nav but I'm open to anything really that isn't orange.

Not that I have anything against the temper orange per say it's just that I don't think it would be appropriate for turning up to clients sites in.

If anyone has plans to sell or knows of anyone I should get in touch with then please let me know. I am happy to travel almost anywhere on the mainland but knowing that the car has been looked after will obviously make the decision on a trip to view easier.

Many thanks.

Good luck. When I was looking for my HR, there were only a couple for sale within 100miles of my house. It seemed dealers knew how rare they were & like you say, priced them very strongly. One dealer refused to even drop a penny off the full screen price, and after much haggling the 2nd dealer threw in a new MOT & Service but that was all as they already had someone else ready to buy the car if I didnt buy it.

Still, well worth it, the HR`s are cracking cars.

• Like 1

Good luck. When I was looking for my HR, there were only a couple for sale within 100miles of my house. It seemed dealers knew how rare they were & like you say, priced them very strongly. One dealer refused to even drop a penny off the full screen price, and after much haggling the 2nd dealer threw in a new MOT & Service but that was all as they already had someone else ready to buy the car if I didnt buy it.

Still, well worth it, the HR`s are cracking cars.

Thanks. There certainly seems to be few any where particularly close to my house, there are a couple fairly close held by the same dealer, wouldn't even entertain the idea of a negotiation on price which is his prerogative of course but when listed for nearly 13k and with 6 370s listed on the trader that are lower than that I thought he was probably asking a little much.

In fact the recent price drop of some of the 370s makes me wonder whether or not the HRs will come down in price or indeed whether I should consider a 370 instead.

There's a nice one on the Facebook 350/370 for sale page

Thanks for the heads up however I don't use Facebook, have you possibly got a link I can follow that wouldn't require me to have a Facebook account.

In fact the recent price drop of some of the 370s makes me wonder whether or not the HRs will come down in price or indeed whether I should consider a 370 instead.

Sometimes the dealers just try and cut their nose off to despite their face. One of the HR`s I saw, I offered the bloke a grand less than he wanted for a "quick sale". He laughed at me and wouldnt even entertain giving me 6 months road tax (250quid). I walked. I then noticed he couldnt shift the car and in the end he dropped about £2500 off the screen price before he got rid of it.

With the 370z`s dropping in price you certainly would assume that the 350z prices would drop accordingly. 370z or 350z is very much a personal preference. I had a 3 day loan of a brand new 370z when my 350z HR was in for some work. Personally I preferred the looks of the HR over a 370z, performance wise, I didnt feel there was anything in it on the road. However, the 370z was definitely much nicer inside. The dash/steering wheel, plus the media centre were all miles better (imo) than the HR.

• Like 1

Sometimes the dealers just try and cut their nose off to despite their face. One of the HR`s I saw, I offered the bloke a grand less than he wanted for a "quick sale". He laughed at me and wouldnt even entertain giving me 6 months road tax (250quid). I walked. I then noticed he couldnt shift the car and in the end he dropped about £2500 off the screen price before he got rid of it.

With the 370z`s dropping in price you certainly would assume that the 350z prices would drop accordingly. 370z or 350z is very much a personal preference. I had a 3 day loan of a brand new 370z when my 350z HR was in for some work. Personally I preferred the looks of the HR over a 370z, performance wise, I didnt feel there was anything in it on the road. However, the 370z was definitely much nicer inside. The dash/steering wheel, plus the media centre were all miles better (imo) than the HR.

I have to admit I probably prefer the HR externally to the 370. Not sat in a 370 but they do look, and others opinions tend to concur, to have the nicer interior. I know what you mean about dealers, I'm just trying to keep my eyes and ears open for any that do drop in price or appear as new listings.

I actually drove up to Leeds (in a Caterham...) when I was looking for mine, to view a nice Midnight Blue (I think that's what it's called) HR with all the trimmings. It looked really nice from what I saw and the price was about right, but the dealer was a dick (wouldn't let me test drive it unless I bought it and was clearly looking to talk me into bad p/x deal), so I jumped back in the 7 and trundled back down south.

Seems like HRs and dealers don't mix well!

I actually drove up to Leeds (in a Caterham...) when I was looking for mine, to view a nice Midnight Blue (I think that's what it's called) HR with all the trimmings. It looked really nice from what I saw and the price was about right, but the dealer was a dick (wouldn't let me test drive it unless I bought it and was clearly looking to talk me into bad p/x deal), so I jumped back in the 7 and trundled back down south.

I find that approach of no test drive before you have bought it to be mental if you have someone who is clearly a serious potential customer. I mean who in their right mind would buy a car without having driven it?

Which Caterham have you got? I always think that they would be an awesome weekend toy. Had a go in a 2.0l westfield 7 clone at some point and that was very grin inducing. Since I can't convince the missus we need more than one car at the moment something like this would be out of the question for me but always love seeing them out and about.

Edited by jowen7448

Good price but high miles at 93k

What sort of price we talking, any mention of clutch etc? And thanks for the extra info. Whilst all of my car purchases in the past bar one have been sub 60k I don't mind more miles on a well looked after car for the right price.

HR and dealers seem to be a bad mix , the only leeway I got from my dealer 2 months ago was a full tank and he was not open to ANY type of offers in any shape or form even though he knew I was a serious buyer that took a train up to view the car in Manchester :scare: they tend to drive a hard bargain especially if the car is in good condition

I find that approach of no test drive before you have bought it to be mental if you have someone who is clearly a serious potential customer. I mean who in their right mind would buy a car without having driven it?

Which Caterham have you got? I always think that they would be an awesome weekend toy. Had a go in a 2.0l westfield 7 clone at some point and that was very grin inducing. Since I can't convince the missus we need more than one car at the moment something like this would be out of the question for me but always love seeing them out and about.

I had the same thing at another dealership down in Bournemouth as well. Thankfully that time my mum lent me her GT86, which is somewhat more suitable for motorway miles :D

I had a Roadsport 125 in race spec, as I did the Academy season. They are great fun of course, but just too compromised except as a 'very occasional use' toy even for hardcore drivers (the lack of a locking boot was the thing that finally did for me). Caterham's are overpriced for what they are without a doubt as well.

I had the same thing at another dealership down in Bournemouth as well. Thankfully that time my mum lent me her GT86, which is somewhat more suitable for motorway miles :D

I had a Roadsport 125 in race spec, as I did the Academy season. They are great fun of course, but just too compromised except as a 'very occasional use' toy even for hardcore drivers (the lack of a locking boot was the thing that finally did for me). Caterham's are overpriced for what they are without a doubt as well.

Is that the k series engine or the ford lump? Even if they are over priced and a bit hardcore would love to have something similar at some point.

HR and dealers seem to be a bad mix , the only leeway I got from my dealer 2 months ago was a full tank and he was not open to ANY type of offers in any shape or form even though he knew I was a serious buyer that took a train up to view the car in Manchester :scare: they tend to drive a hard bargain especially if the car is in good condition

It seems a bit poor form to me, I know it's quite a desirable car but I can't imagine they are selling mega quick or anything. I may of course be wrong on that point but I have never paid original asking price for a car.

:teeth: Actually I think the dealer saw the desire in my eyes :D so it was game over, plus I had send the RAC over to look the car over ( they took the car off the dealer for 2 hours) so I think the dealer rightly surmised that I was a very motivated buyer :surrender:

:teeth: Actually I think the dealer saw the desire in my eyes :D so it was game over, plus I had send the RAC over to look the car over ( they took the car off the dealer for 2 hours) so I think the dealer rightly surmised that I was a very motivated buyer :surrender:

Ha I would imagine if all that came before price negotiation it was pretty clear you were reasonably well invested. One assumes you are pleased with your purchase.

Is that the k series engine or the ford lump? Even if they are over priced and a bit hardcore would love to have something similar at some point.

Ford engine these days

I cant believe dealers want 13k for a HR zed...

I Test drove a HR which was mint with only 11k miles on it for £14.5k, but that was 5 years ago now.

Probably should have bought it in hindsight but I saved £4.5k getting my Revup in the best colour :)

I paid £13'500.00 for my 2008 black uk GT HR with 8000 miles on the clock a year and a half ago. My motto is if you like it then buy it. Lifes too short and its only money ... Enjoy yourself. PS i prefer the 350 to the 370 also