Hello, GT4, bad dealer and pain!

leigh_boy

As at May 2015 "Ken" on here who is the GT4 registrar had not heard of a GT4 engine having had the same oil issue as the "rev-up" engines introduced in 2006.

Although, for all intents and purposes, they are same engine I gather that the pistons/rings used in the GT4 were different to those used in the later rev-up engines as different tolerances had been used.

As you have involved Abbey I am sure they can verify, or otherwise, that information but the fact there has been an absence of reported issues with the GT4 engine seemed to indicate they might be more durable. Of course a lot depends on how they were maintained and driven and of course the dreaded dipstick design has not been helpful whilst if sub 98octane fuel has been regularly used and the engine asked to regularly pull over 5k revs that is helpful for engine longevity.

Did Abbey do a compression tests and/or use a boroscope to check for bore wear, as I'm clear what you are saying they checked? Maybe a written report from them that you can send the supplying dealeras to what they found would help your case. :)

As at May 2015 "Ken" on here who is the GT4 registrar had not heard of a GT4 engine having had the same oil issue as the "rev-up" engines introduced in 2006.

Although, for all intents and purposes, they are same engine I gather that the pistons/rings used in the GT4 were different to those used in the later rev-up engines as different tolerances had been used.

As you have involved Abbey I am sure they can verify, or otherwise, that information but the fact there has been an absence of reported issues with the GT4 engine seemed to indicate they might be more durable. Of course a lot depends on how they were maintained and driven and of course the dreaded dipstick design has not been helpful whilst if sub 98octane fuel has been regularly used and the engine asked to regularly pull over 5k revs that is helpful for engine longevity.

Did Abbey do a compression tests and/or use a boroscope to check for bore wear, as I'm clear what you are saying they checked? Maybe a written report from them that you can send the supplying dealeras to what they found would help your case. :)

they did to comp test 180 and 190 retrospectively, they also said that the bores are in good nick, they did note that oil was siting on C6 and suspect sparkplug gasket is leaking. They also say the engine note was strange.

with that in mind i dont think it would be leaking 4L worth?

on a side note iv only run the car on momentum 99 but for the last 90K who knows. the manual clearly states 98 and if 95 is used dont go over 5k rpm ( i think from the top of my head) and only do a half a tank.

it is interesting about no reports of the gt4 using oil.

Edited by leigh_boy

You sure it was 4L you put in? The DE dipstick is notoriously crap.

the stick is rather crap and the more i diped it the more it showed so i took to checking it in the morning when the car had sat 9 hours or so .

i started off with a 1L bottle it drunk that ( back to full) a week later and 200 Miles i checked again so i bought a 4.75L bottle and had to keep topping up ( if i go over 4/5K rpm thats when it seems to really effect it.

Edited by leigh_boy

Really sorry to hear what's going on :(. Hope it works out, I'm sure you have a case.

As far as doing any work on the car, I wouldn't. Leave it because you have a case to give it back and get a refund, if you start fiddling with it then they could say "No, this isn't how the car left the lot". Their argument might not stand up, but why give them some ammo?

Really sorry to hear what's going on :(. Hope it works out, I'm sure you have a case.

As far as doing any work on the car, I wouldn't. Leave it because you have a case to give it back and get a refund, if you start fiddling with it then they could say "No, this isn't how the car left the lot". Their argument might not stand up, but why give them some ammo?

true i guess, i did want to see if it is genuine though as they sold it as genuine and if it isnt thats a breach of contract and can be refused with out them looking over the car.

I do not understand how you are still missing the point.

The car can be rejected and returned without them looking over the car.

im told other wise by them and TS at the end of the day no use of me handing back the keys if they arnt going to give me the keys back to my old car or refund me.

Jesus......it's not rocket science is it...you bought an item that's not fit for purpose..return it and stop twatting about, Ekona has far more experience and knowledge of these things he and others have told you exactly how to return it and to do it correctly, I would also add that you should also stop any further payments and approach the finance company.

i would also happily keep it if it was repaired

Repaired by who ?

Who pays ?

who, ideally Abbey, who pays, not me.

Im waiting for a call back from the owner today

Abbey will do a good build, however that is not going to happen.

• Like 1