Alarm keeps going off!

GeorgeW

This has only started during the cold nights but the alarm is going off all the time, does anyone know how to sort it? I've jus Trajan the car out for a spin in the hope that it will warm it up, if it's to do with being cold.

Help before my neighbours kill me!

personally id investigate all the possible ways for an alarm to go off, and then start unplugging sensors until the problem goes away.

when my old beemer alarm started going off every 5 minutes I simply disconnected the 'bonnet open' sensor which is known to fail, and also took out the interior movement sensor. fixed the problem.

but try disconnecting the interior sensor, if that fixes the problem, either leave it unplugged or swap it for a new one.

I had this issue before, super easy fix.

Go to Halfords or local motor factor, purchase an Air Conditioning Cleaner Gas Bomb, start car, set fans to recirculate, put passenger seat all the way back, activate bomb and place in passenger footwell, exit vehicle, wait...wait.....have a cuppa....wait some more, after about 30 mins, shut off car and open doors to air out gas (make sure no new lifeforms enter vehicle while doors are open)

Job done

• Like 2

I would get your battery checked first. The alarm used to go off all the time on my track car if i hadn't run it

in a while and the battery went low. Plus the cold really affects older battery's this is probably why it is going off on cold nights.

Edited by lance350

I would get your battery checked first. The alarm used to go off all the time on my track car if i hadn't run it

in a while and the battery went low. Plus the cold really affects older battery's this is probably why it is going off on cold nights.

Thanks for that, I will pop into to the local motor store, he will be happy to check for me :)

I have recently got my first Zed. When it got cold at the beginning of Jan the alarm was going off in the middle of the night. Read up on the issue and as well as possible insects disturbing the sensor it could be your bonnet sensor that setting it off. Apparently the bonnet expands and contracts enough that it thinks someone could be trying to open the bonnet. I removed the sensor and put 2 washers underneath and bolted it back on so it is now slightly higher, giving a better fit once its closed. The alarm hasn't gone off since, fingers crossed.

OK so here's an update,

the alarm is still going off, even this morning at work - its a nice sunny day so the cold must not be the issue.

next up was the battery. i have had no issues with starting etc so couldn't see this being the issue, but in the face of science and angry neighbours i popped to Halfords. the tested it for free would you believe it! (*considering they sting you £3 to change your wipers lol). After many car compliments, the results were in - 409/500. very good battery!

Right next plan was the Air conditioning. I haven't ever cleaned it out, so this idea was a nice one even if it doesn't fix the issue. So I bought a bomb! This was set off 20 minutes ago, and went for 10 minutes. By god the car smells fresh! I am currently sitting in my office chewing on half a french stick filled with salmon, and have given the warehouse boys stick instructions to report back to me if it goes off again.

Alio, I have only just seen your message, and if it goes off again, your solution will be next on the list, so thankyou :)

I had exactly the same issue - as daft as the spider comments sound, t was a daddy long legs floating around in the car at night - although I haven't seen many of those about lately it could be something similar. It just floated out one morning when I was getting in the car and all was fine again!

• Like 1

Mine has an aftermarket alarm as it's an import so not sure if the same but I have a sensor at each side of the windscreen. Perhaps you could try sticking some tape over them and see what happens! I assume your alarm would still work in terms of bumps and the doors etc. However, I am the sort of woman that puts screws in with a knife instead of a screw driver so take my advice with caution! :lol:

• Like 1

I had this issue before, super easy fix.

Go to Halfords or local motor factor, purchase an Air Conditioning Cleaner Gas Bomb, start car, set fans to recirculate, put passenger seat all the way back, activate bomb and place in passenger footwell, exit vehicle, wait...wait.....have a cuppa....wait some more, after about 30 mins, shut off car and open doors to air out gas (make sure no new lifeforms enter vehicle while doors are open)

Job done

This is a great idea! Not just for alarm issues, but getting rid of any little buggers living in the car haha