Removing upper plenum and throttle body issues?

GeorgeW

Now before I start, I do want to point out that:

1. yes I have searched the forum and internet for answers, but nothing seems to help

2. yes I know this should be an easy job, but:

3. No I haven't had much sleep due to illness, and a new baby!

SO!

I want to remove the plenum and throttle body for painting. So I took the strut off, then the plastic cover, then onto the plenum bolts. I worked my way around getting all that looked like they were holding them down. I gathered that it was just a case of removing the bolts, but for some reason it isn't budging! I am either missing extra bolts or its stuck and needs prying off. Though I haven't seen anyone mention this so didn't want to try it and ruin something!

Any help would be great

yes maybe, but Im sure I got them all around the sides and front, and thought even if one was still on the back, it would still wiggle the front up and down! maybe it is that the seal needs breaking. what about removing the throttle body, I see people removing both at once, but then on the internet people say to remove the plenum first. if so, how easy is that to do?

Edited by GeorgeW

There are 18 bolts in all. 11 around the perimeter of the plenum. If you've only found 10, then there's your answer. Don't forget number 9, whilst not obvious can be missed. Also number 8, you need to reach right over the plenum.

upperIMC.jpg

• Like 2

Also you'll have hoses attached to the plenum. If I recall.

• One to the left, easy to spot
  • Behind the Throttle Body
  • Then a final one underneath the Throttle Body, which points towards the air intake tube

The last in that list is the hardest to reach under and remove.

Thanks wasso, maybe it was number 9 that was doing it. Is there a drawing for the throttle body removal as well?

4 Allen bolts hold the TB in place. There's an electrical plug to the right hand side, of the TB which must be removed. That's it really.

IMG_1680.jpg

Recommended yes, but I never have. Disconnect the TB via the plug. Just go careful with the TB butterfly. Extreme care is required not to move the butterfly as it's electronically set. It would be safe to undertake the TB reset procedure once you've done what you need, if in doubt of moving the butterfly.

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/371324-how-do-i-do-the-throttle-body-relearn-procedure.html

ok nice one. I only want to spray the outside so hopefully don't desturb the butterfly when masking up

You'll be fine, once it's taped both sides it will give it some nice protection. Don't drop the TB for god sake!

I don't tend to drop things, but not you've said that I'll bloody drop it down a black hole. My carbon hood will be going on at the weekend if we don't get TOO much snow, so I will give this a go then. Cheers for the help so far

• Like 1

Great guide from Wasso. Have removed my plenum and throttle body a few times now and its not that difficult if you take your time. Use your mobile to take some photos as you go if you are not sure of where things go back etc. Be careful not to damage the gasket too when you remove the upper plenum. Don't forget to put the centre plenum bolts back in the right order too and torque them. They are different lengths too so make sure you make a note of which lengths go where.

Good luck,

Yes I found that out last night, but eventually worked out which ones go where. Thats the type of tip which saves alot of hassle when someone tries something for the first time. It may seem obvious when you have done it, but I had no idea they would have different length bolts!

I was a bit anal first time a made a diagram on a thick bit of card and then pushed each bolt into the cardboard diagram when I took them out so I knew exactly where they had to go back to. Sick of always having one bolt left on previous projects !!. Seasoned pro now, but novice at the start. Wasso helped me loads in my first year of ownership and modding. He's a top man.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 2

Yes I found that out last night, but eventually worked out which ones go where. Thats the type of tip which saves alot of hassle when someone tries something for the first time. It may seem obvious when you have done it, but I had no idea they would have different length bolts!

If you use the plenum bolt guide above the following applies:

Red - Long

Yellow - Medium

Green - Small

I was a bit anal first time a made a diagram on a thick bit of card and then pushed each bolt into the cardboard diagram when I took them out so I knew exactly where they had to go back to. Sick of always having one bolt left on previous projects !!. Seasoned pro now, but novice at the start. Wasso helped me loads in my first year of ownership and modding. He's a top man.

Sorry about that :lol:

Ian. Fond memories of driving up to meet you to pick up my polished plenum, strut bar etc and then several months later speaking at 11pm on a Friday night after you spotted an ARC catch can for me in Texas !!. After seeing Suzie I was hooked on modding my z. You have a lot to answer for mate.

Ian. Fond memories of driving up to meet you to pick up my polished plenum, strut bar etc and then several months later speaking at 11pm on a Friday night after you spotted an ARC catch can for me in Texas !!. After seeing Suzie I was hooked on modding my z. You have a lot to answer for mate.

Now thats man love right there! :cry:

Apologies on both accounts :lol:

To be honest if you put my car and Payco's together in a carpark the only difference is the colour (bar a few mods). Although Payco has now made some radical changes to his bay.

Was a pleasure to help anyone else get the Zeditus bug. It's painless until you click "Add to Basket"!!!

• Like 2