Another HR with failed oil gallery gaskets

johnrw

My 07 which has done 58k has just started showing poor oil pressure, unfortunately it's also been using allot of oil over the last 5k roughly 400-500ml per 1000 miles which seems to be pretty bad for a HR?

Had a look this morning and after driving 5 miles idle was sat around 18psi ! Nissan quotes 14.5psi at 650rpm for the HR which is obviously hot idle pressure this is from Nissan themselves telling me from a spec list of pressures/temperatures etc.

Edited by Dave6188

Yep the minimum spec from Nissan is 14.5 psi , we usually find that post gallery gaskets with fresh 5w30 the HR engine will make 28-30psi on the gauge

We are starting to check the oil pressure on 370z's as well during services just to be safe

Yep the minimum spec from Nissan is 14.5 psi , we usually find that post gallery gaskets with fresh 5w30 the HR engine will make 28-30psi on the gauge

We are starting to check the oil pressure on 370z's as well during services just to be safe

Good move rich

I'm a Hydraulic Engineer by trade so deal with oil & pressures day in day out, technically speaking if the gaskets are passing oil and you do have a lack of pressure due to this (below 14.5psi) then it should trigger the oil pressure warning light on the dashboard and limit the motor to 3000rpm which is basically limp mode even if it is an internal leak ?

So if your car's warning light comes on change the gaskets if not don't panic, minimum working pressures have been calculated by Nissan so the engine will still run safe at that pressure. Correct me if I'm wrong or enlighten me !

I'm assuming this is a "When they fail" more than an "If they fail"?

I've put 90k on the clock since ownership of my HR. Although showing no symptoms I'm thinking this should be my next investment.

As nissanman312 said, is there a link to the uprated gaskets? Think I'd rather get them in for my mechanic just to make sure he's fitting the correct ones.

These are the part numbers I gave to Rich when I replaced mine. Be warned I got mine imported from the US as Nissans lead times were to long.

Oil Galley Gasket Part Numbers:

13533-JK21A

13533-JK21B

Can cover oil Seals Part Number:

1042-3HD0A

Edited by blobbish
  • Like 2

hi these car do not have oil pressure based trip I am afraid.

These parameters can be added on the 370Z with ECUTEK but only way to go that way on a HR is a Syvecs S6+ upgrade both will need oil pressure senders being fitted and wired in.

Hi mark,

Can this be added to my ecutek tune remotely via a re flash with a cable as I already have a license.

These parameters can be added on the 370Z with ECUTEK but only way to go that way on a HR is a Syvecs S6+ upgrade both will need oil pressure senders being fitted and wired in.

Hi mark,

Can this be added to my ecutek tune remotely via a re flash with a cable as I already have a license.

With some hardware parts added we can make a few upgrades, oil pressure trip so if the oil pressure drop below a certain levels at a certain RPM the car goes into limp home and we can make the oil temp gauge become and oil pressure gauge.

Email me for costings please

Hi mark,

With some hardware parts added we can make a few upgrades, oil pressure trip so if the oil pressure drop below a certain levels at a certain RPM the car goes into limp home and we can make the oil temp gauge become and oil pressure gauge.

Email me for costings please

Can you make it do temp pressure and tc or not?

I've put 90k on the clock since ownership of my HR. Although showing no symptoms I'm thinking this should be my next investment.

As nissanman312 said, is there a link to the uprated gaskets? Think I'd rather get them in for my mechanic just to make sure he's fitting the correct ones.

This thread is definitely making it seem like it's something I need to be doing. Mine's coming up to around 96k and the gauge (on the dash, I haven't had it measured 'properly' yet) is sitting between 0 and 30 when warm and idle, so it may well be in that risk zone.

Oh well. Another job.

This thread is definitely making it seem like it's something I need to be doing. Mine's coming up to around 96k and the gauge (on the dash, I haven't had it measured 'properly' yet) is sitting between 0 and 30 when warm and idle, so it may well be in that risk zone.

Oh well. Another job.

Just got to find a garage capable of tackling it within a decent time frame now. My local has done all sorts on my motor but they haven't ever tackled this on any HR before which normally suggests an hour or so extra for head scratching. A frustrating and costly issue but needs must i guess.

Are people getting the timing chains, guides, and tensioners done the at the same time? It might be a silly question, but while it's going to increase the cost of the repair it would seem prudent when you're already in the car's guts.

Are people getting the timing chains, guides, and tensioners done the at the same time? It might be a silly question, but while it's going to increase the cost of the repair it would seem prudent when you're already in the car's guts.

Not routinely but we inspect everything throughly and have changed tensioners but not chains

In two minds whether to do this myself or not as to be honest I don't ever wanna risk the engine going pop ! Is it something I could do on the driveway or not ? If not anyone know of a reputable garage near Hull/Yorkshire ???

Just got this done by Horsham, luckily aswell because apparently my engine was about to go pop, just bought the car and wasn't aware about common problem! Now running better oil pressure! Bank accounts not looking pretty mind

Who told you the engine was about to go pop ?

Just got this done by Horsham, luckily aswell because apparently my engine was about to go pop, just bought the car and wasn't aware about common problem! Now running better oil pressure! Bank accounts not looking pretty mind

One of the cam chain guides had failed on his engine , nothing to do with the oil issue just a lucky catch the cam chain could have jumped at any time

• Like 1

My bad, I don't have a clue with mechanics!

One of the cam chain guides had failed on his engine , nothing to do with the oil issue just a lucky catch the cam chain could have jumped at any time