If you had £500 to re-train.....

Kraziekatz1

Marshalling is volunteer work and unpaid. The track location is valid and seeing as Thruxton run very few track days you will be ltd, Combe is an alternative though, trouble is, if you get your license, you are under probation for a year where you must get 6 stamps (most likely unpaid) you will be at the bottom of the list and if you do get a call, no matter where, you will need to go or forget getting that call again.

• Like 1

I've done the ARDS National B test. It's very basic and on it's own doesn't teach you that much. If my memory serves me correctly, it consists of a fairly basic multiple choice test (flags etc.) and a few laps during a track day with an instructor, purely to show that you're not a complete numpty behing the wheel.

Of course, it's the first step to making a career for yourself in motorsport, but I'd imagine it would be a long way after that to get to the level where you could be an instructor, as jetpilot said. My instructor for the test had something like 20 years as a professional racing driver (I'm sure that's far from the minimum, but just to give you all the info I have).

Software engineer, if you get good enough you'll get into a good company without a proper degree in it. Generally following a "fun" dream ends in tears. I'm quite cynical though.

I can't do an office job or sit at a computer all day. Would do my head in. Am more a hands on person, like to be outside when I can. Have already built my career as such, have a couple of degrees, lots of publications and am well established in my field of Science. But I have a once in the lifetime opportunity to take a break and try something a little different. I'm leaving with a good redundancy package and can afford to take some time off for me. Ultimately I will probably end up going back to a science job, unless I become an awesome racing driver that is lol

Appreciate £500 doesn't buy a lot of re-training, but it does have to be 'training'. I can't spend it on track days, and I have to justify my reasons. I was contemplating being a track day racing instructor. These days women are getting more into track days and I thought a good female instructor might be a good move.

I have a very good female race friend/customer who is a qualified ards instructor, I would be happy to introduce you to her if that helps. She would be more than happy to talk to anyone who wants to instruct.

I do know the pay is not great but every day on track is a buzz.

Gas fitter, easy money and been trying for months to get someone to fit a gas fire but no one seems interested. Would do it myself but would invalidate house insurance etc :surrender:

Its your house and your fire so providing you follow the manufacturers instructions and fit it correctly then there is no reason why you can`t. You just need a qualified gas service engineer who is ticketed for gas fires to connect the last part of the gas supply and commission it. ( ex gas engineer mate in case you were wondering )

Gas fitter, easy money and been trying for months to get someone to fit a gas fire but no one seems interested. Would do it myself but would invalidate house insurance etc :surrender:

Its your house and your fire so providing you follow the manufacturers instructions and fit it correctly then there is no reason why you can`t. You just need a qualified gas service engineer who is ticketed for gas fires to connect the last part of the gas supply and commission it. ( ex gas engineer mate in case you were wondering )

I'm quite interested in the role of a Gas engineer and the pay with it, wondering if I can get some insight from you on the job, how difficult was training and getting into the job and did you enjoy it? :)

Everyone panics about gas fired products and the industry itself tries to imply that only gas safe engineers can fit them. There is legislation regarding connecting to the gas supply and commissioning the product but providing you follow the correct installation instructions and comply with them completely there is no reason why you cannot install your own.

I have known many `engineers` from different industries who would be more competent to fit gas fired products than some of the gas engineers i have met... lol

If you are technically minded then you can easily train to be a gas engineer.

I was a car mechanic

then i worked in engineering setting machines

then a gas engineer.

Its a nuts and bolts and combustion so no probs crossing over.

I now run a B and B chynowethtrelashbandb.co.uk

A change is as good as a rest as they say :teeth:

How about re-training to hold the Stop/Go sign at road works.

Standing around all day holding a pole and staring at traffic, while your fellow workmates sweat their guts out digging trenches.

You must be able to stand around for hours on end without any human intervention whatsoever

The standing up version of being a travel agent. :stir:

Had a serious chat with OH last night about the whole ARDS course (I did get him drunk first) :) And he's being really supportive. I think we all know it won't amount to anything serious but I know that if I don't have a go now then I'll probably look back later in life and regret it. Everyone's allowed to be a little bit crazy once in a while, plenty of time for seriousness later. I've got enough money to not need to worry about lack of income for a little while, so will be interesting to see how this all pans out. Watch this space.........

Just need to convince work to pay for it now lol

• 1 month later...

Sounds exciting, good luck!

Also your OH is obviously awesome.

PLEASE! Clearly I am the AWESOME one here for persuading him in the first place lol

Update: Work have paid for my ARDS course/test! I just need to get plenty of track practice in before I book the test date :)

• Like 1