which compound/polish to use?

willow990

ive got some carbon collective paint/wheel/glass sealant as a present from my girlfriend and im looking to get it applied when the weather gets better. but before that i want to give my car a good going over with the machine polisher to get rid of scratches and swirls and to try get the color popping. can anyone recommend any polishes or compounds or pads to use? ive been looking myself but theres just so many to choose from! a couple ive been looking at are 3M, auto finesse, rupes, gtechniq and menzerna. any advice or recommendations would be appreciated! :)

• Like 1

What machine do you have? If on a rotary, the usual caveats apply!

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Scholl stuff, and the S17+ is pretty much my go-to polish of choice. Sometimes I follow it up with some S30+ too, although if you've only got fine swirls you may find that's enough alone. As for pad choice, I like the Lake Country pads as they're versatile but offer the feedback you'd want. You'd only want the orange and red pads, really.

It's very much a personal choice though, there's no wrong or right answer. Truth is I'll use different polishes depending on what car I'm working on (for example, on the 182 the paint is as hard as nails so I had to use something incredibly aggressive just to make a mark!), but for the Zed the stuff I've mentioned will be fine. :)

Read this thread through for a start.

Highlights from others, for a Z;

For an (almost) all-in-one off the shelf kit

I'd recommend this; http://www.polishedb...g-kit-cat1.html

If you wanted to you could add in a finishing pad, but that would be all you'd need to keep you going for a while.

That said;

I'd recommend Scholl S30+ and S20 over the Menz in that kit; although the Menz are very good polishes themselves and quite forgiving for a newbie to machine polishing, I find the Scholl just that little bit better for me & my technique.

For other cars (read; paint hardness) other compounds may be more suitable.

What machine do you have? If on a rotary, the usual caveats apply!

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Scholl stuff, and the S17+ is pretty much my go-to polish of choice. Sometimes I follow it up with some S30+ too, although if you've only got fine swirls you may find that's enough alone. As for pad choice, I like the Lake Country pads as they're versatile but offer the feedback you'd want. You'd only want the orange and red pads, really.

It's very much a personal choice though, there's no wrong or right answer. Truth is I'll use different polishes depending on what car I'm working on (for example, on the 182 the paint is as hard as nails so I had to use something incredibly aggressive just to make a mark!), but for the Zed the stuff I've mentioned will be fine. :)

i have a rotary one, but thanks i never thought about the hardness. That's definitely something ill have to consider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have used 3m Finesse It. Had good results with it and not too agressive when using a machine polisher

Finesse it is great but absolutely chock full of fillers (more of a bodyshop product). You'll get loads of shine but an IPA wipedown is needed to see what actual correction you've done.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Which normally turns out to be chuff all.

Yeah with the greatest respect to it, it falls into the catagory we refer to as 'bullshit' products........right up there with tyre black, megs ultimate compound etc.

Not to say that they are bad but they create an illusion rather than a reality

Which for most people, is probably what they want. Something that takes little effort, delivers good results but with little risk. It won't last as long, but it'll certainly give that wow factor.

But yeah, I'm pinching bullshit products as a new catchphrase :lol:

Yeah with the greatest respect to it, it falls into the catagory we refer to as 'bullshit' products........right up there with tyre black, megs ultimate compound etc.

Is there a 'genuine' way to keep / make your tyres black?

Is there a 'genuine' way to keep / make your tyres black?

500 boxes of these ;)

marks-a-lot-08888-black-permanent-marker.jpg

Thanks, but I think I'll stick to tyre gel :p

Gel is the absolute best bet but it's just a good old car dealer trick isn't it........whack a bit of bullshit on the tyres and that 2mm all of a sudden looks brand new :lol:

Thanks, but I think I'll stick to tyre gel :p

Gel is the absolute best bet but it's just a good old car dealer trick isn't it........whack a bit of bullshit on the tyres and that 2mm all of a sudden looks brand new :lol:

True. I actually used tyre gel for the first time the other day, and was pleasantly surprised by the result (although my tyres are actually pretty new, so it's not like I'm trying to convince myself that they're alright :D).