Anyone with Milltek + HFCs?

colesl4w

Hi all,

I know this question has been asked by others before, but I would love some more up to date opinions.

I've recently bought a Milltek catback exhaust as my OEM one was totally corroded. I loved the OEM sound, and thought the Milltek would be very much the same, but it seems in this first week of driving that it is very VERY quiet. With the OEM exhaust you could hear downshift blips, a nice grumble on start, etc., You were always aware you were driving something nice. However, with the Milltek it's all extremely tame - you wouldn't know there was a lovely big engine in there. A youtube video from Milltek showing the Milltek system running seems nothing like what I have. It's much deeper and gives that distinctive 350z gurgle on acceleration. All I can really hear is engine.

Many people swear by the Milltek + HFC combination. Do any of you have a video of that running? I have read countless threads on here and elsewhere about the combination, but can't find a video. If it would give me back that nice deeper grumble and distinctive 350z noise then I would get them in a heartbeat. I'm worried I'll sink even more money into it and not have much difference, or even worse lose torque.

Any input at all would be very much appreciated :).

Edited by colesl4w

Give it a couple of hundred miles for the exhaust to bed in. My milltek came to life on a road trip to Germany.

Popping on downshifts and overrun etc.

Get a few miles on it then make a decision after that :)

Ah Jake that has really cheered me up! I'll give it a month and see how she goes. I'm really glad to hear that. Are you stock apart from the Milltek?

Thanks!

I had the HFC first with oem exhaust .

The Milltek does get louder with miles as it cokes up .

Still not super loud but that is what I was after .

Alan

Did the Cobra HFCs make much of a difference to your milltek sound, before the headers were changed?

I'd agree with Jake, takes a bit of time to settle in. I loved the sound of my stock with Berk hfc's but after the 2nd stock failed i opted for the Miltek as a worthy replacement that had the look i was after. Gotta admit i was a tad disappointed at first but now i think the combination is probably bang on. I did toy with removing the silencer on the mid pipe but never bothered. Nice tone when in town and then unleash the fury on the work run and it's got a good tone to it that attracts the attention of the Aston guys rather than the Corsa massive.

Worth looking at a set of hfc's though, well chuffed with the Berks

I had a Milltek and they are very quiet with the stnadard cats unfortunately. I eventually went for Berks HFC's and it did improve noise levels a lot but still nothing intrusive, lovely sound at anything over 3k revs. I'm now running an Ark on standard cats and to my mind this is how the Zed should have always sounded, louder than the Milltek but a nice deep sound and not too intrusive. As others have said give the Milltek a bit of time to coke up and it will improve, only you will know if it's right for you. :)

I had a Milltek and they are very quiet with the stnadard cats unfortunately. I eventually went for Berks HFC's and it did improve noise levels a lot but still nothing intrusive, lovely sound at anything over 3k revs. I'm now running an Ark on standard cats and to my mind this is how the Zed should have always sounded, louder than the Milltek but a nice deep sound and not too intrusive. As others have said give the Milltek a bit of time to coke up and it will improve, only you will know if it's right for you. :)

Thanks for the responses all! Do the Berks make any difference below 3k? Like during startup and idle?

Thanks for the responses all! Do the Berks make any difference below 3k? Like during startup and idle?

Some difference but it comes into it's own over 3k imo

Give it a couple of hundred miles for the exhaust to bed in. My milltek came to life on a road trip to Germany.

Popping on downshifts and overrun etc.

Get a few miles on it then make a decision after that :)

Ah Jake that has really cheered me up! I'll give it a month and see how she goes. I'm really glad to hear that. Are you stock apart from the Milltek?

Thanks!

Umm not until recently. Had it standard for best part of 8 months. Now I've got a pop charger induction kit and love it.

All personal choice as other people have said. I love the tone of it, and no drones on long motorway journeys.

Loud enough to get looks when driving (and occasional head shakes haha)

No rasp ?

I thought all exhausts have this when you go to hfc or de cats .

I'm with Graham.Ark true dual grip for the win.No rasp or drone,just a quality deep rumble which makes the car classy without being over the top.Great looks too.