Stocks and Shares Trading

Leosille

Are you guys treating buying stocks as a hobby or as a serious investment tool?!

20% return on £1000 sound great but actually isn't that much to write home about. 20% return on £20K is a different matter.

But I haven't got the balls needed to play with £20k of my own cash on stocks.

Edited by gangzoom

[quote name='Pritchard' timestamp='1454073660' post='1579933']

After all this, there is only one peice of advice i would give anyone, ever:
1 - Use a Demo account for a LONG time before you deal with real money.

[/quote]

This!

[quote name='gangzoom' timestamp='1454076897' post='1579954']
Are you guys treating buying stocks as a hobby or as a serious investment tool?!

[/quote]

it's my job, I don't actually trade with my own money though

[quote name='Tom-89' timestamp='1454077520' post='1579958']

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what would you do with a £20-40K lump sum, in the short to medium term - 12-24 months.

[quote name='Tom-89' timestamp='1454073095' post='1579929']
[quote name='Juggalo' timestamp='1454069145' post='1579889']
Buy VW shares. No brainer really.
[/quote]

with an unquantifiable lawsuit hanging over them in the US...
[/quote]

Even better.
VW will survive, they're too big to go under, the German Government will see to that.

20% return on £1000 sound great but actually isn't that much to write home about. 20% return on £20K is a different matter.

But I haven't got the balls needed to play with £20k of my own cash on stocks.
[/quote]

Myself and older brother both work in engineering and both want more and more money. We are both trying to learn, with the intention of using this as a extra income and possibly a way of making serious money understanding that it takes a large investment of time and skills to become successful.

[quote name='Adrian@TORQEN' timestamp='1454070742' post='1579894']
[quote name='Dashurik' timestamp='1454003947' post='1579610']
Adrian! Now we know where your money coming from to fund your passion for cars! Looks like you are the pro in fx game?!
[/quote]

Now you know, you can sleep better tonight :lol::lol:
[/quote]
Will sleep much better if you tell me the secret of your trading! ))

Edited by Dashurik

[quote name='Commander' timestamp='1454087666' post='1580025']
GangZoom - Premium Bonds and an ISA.

Or spunk it on a well expensive used car that won't depreciate too much and sell it later when you need the cash.
[/quote]

Got premium bonds + ISA already. Been lucky win premium bonds, last 3 years averaging a refurn of 7% for 0 risk :). ISA, got a fair amount now just coming out of a longterm deal, but current interest rates are horriclly low.

As for spending it on a car, that in the pipeline, 11 months to go. Already know the spec I'm after..But I'm pretty sure it'll deprecate by ALOT. Probably will loss less money if I gamble the pot on the makers...I may not be into petrol/diesel cars, but I'm still very much into wasting money on cars :)

[quote name='gangzoom' timestamp='1454078654' post='1579968']
[quote name='Tom-89' timestamp='1454077520' post='1579958']

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what would you do with a £20-40K lump sum, in the short to medium term - 12-24 months.
[/quote]

For all sorts of liability reasons related to work (may constitute giving advice, breaching fca regs for my approval blah blah - regardless of what the media sometimes suggests it is an incredibly regulated industry, partly why I don't deal for myself) I can't specifically say stocks or areas to look into

However - if you decide that equity investing/buying shares is what you want to do I'd say try and look at businesses long term, the trends in those industries, competitors and why the one you're buying is better and make sure you keep up to date with what's going on. There are sites where you can build a 'portfolio' (basically a list of stocks you're interested in - some sites do proper model portfolios too) and they will provide you with related news/company announcements etc when they are released which helps keep on top of what has been going on and whether things have changed. also never be afraid to lock in losses or gains, sometimes you have to accept that you made a bad choice or things didn't play out as expected and take the hit, much better than chasing to the bottom - example:

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/CHK:US

you buy in April last year at around 15 after it's fallen, it drops further to 10 as oil price continues to collapse, you can take a 33% hit, not very nice, or see if you can recover some of that...it's now less than 4 having had a fairly consistent drop.

also...diversify! don't pile all your stuff into one stock or industry.

• Like 1

Looking at last 3 years FTSE 100, 6250 points 2013 currently below 6000 points, and probably a fair amount more to drop??. But I understand there is more money in dividends been paid?? !!

Still a -4% drop in value over 3 years compares pretty badly to 3%+ interest rates if you took out a fixed ISA in 2013.

The last 12 month FTSE 100 figures are just crazy, high of over 7000 in April 2015, now predicted to fall way below 6000. Easily a 10% drop in 12 months :(.

Think we'll stick to ISA + premium bonds for the 'rainy day' saving fund.

Will also only get one shot at owing a stupidity priced car by 2017, than its 18 years of been broke and spending money on kids instead, so no way am I gambling with the T-fund.

Edited by gangzoom

[quote name='Adrian@TORQEN' timestamp='1454492329' post='1581947']
That's when you make money, when it drops :) Always short :)
[/quote]

But when do you know it's not going drop anymore....Give me someone else's money and I'll have a gamble, but doing it with my own cash :).

Edited by gangzoom

• 2 weeks later...