Mot due, need help.

Rob332

Does anyone know a good mot test station in the Halifax area that can be trusted ?

When I say trusted I mean they aren't going to take my car for an 'extended road test' when they should be brake testing it as Im aware you can't put a zed in the rollers due to the LSD.

Any recommendations much appreciated !

From the MOT manual, regarding LSD-equipped cars:

These vehicles should be tested using a properly calibrated and maintained decelerometer or a plate brake tester designated as acceptable for the statutory tests.

In all honesty, whilst there remains a tiny chance of a regular roller brake test damaging an LSD, you put more stress through the system by accelerating hard out of a tight corner. Unless the tester is sitting there testing one wheel repeatedly for an hour, it's not likely to cause any extra damage or wear and it's not something I ever worry about.

Zeds have a viscous LSD so it's not really an issue. It's more of an issue for clutch type diffs as they could be damaged, the Z one is just fluid.

As for a trustworthy place, go to your local council run test centre, they aren't allowed to do repair work, so they will only flag an issue if it's really there.

I've had mine done at Halfords for the last 2 years. No issues and seemed professional and also did the brake test in the car park. My brother has also used them at a different branch in London for his banger of a Mondeo. Again, professional and also changed a bulb foc!

They have a good offer on at the moment, £29.99.

I've had mine done at Halfords for the last 2 years. No issues and seemed professional and also did the brake test in the car park. My brother has also used them at a different branch in London for his banger of a Mondeo. Again, professional and also changed a bulb foc!

That's not a bad shout gilly. Halfords are walking distance from me so could leave the car there and walk to work. I'll ask them about the LSD though. I didn't know it may be an issue until I read the thread about it on here.

Busy weekend for me anyway. Got some black diamond discs and pads to fit. Plus treated my car to a new set of MPSS ! Can't wait to test the new brakes out :yahoo:

decent price too :)

i did mention the brake test to them and they were happy to do the decelerometer test, so might be worth asking them when you drop it off. If you know your car well and give the basics a quick once over, you should be quite confident in passing.

The modern rollers can allow for LSD, 4WD etc now.

Also the test is run at 10 mph and lasts a few seconds, I'd prefer that to having some young mechanic road testing it. I spoke to the MOT garage owner about it, says he MOT's hundreds of cars with LSD every year on the rollers.

Pete