Wheel advice needed - chrome alert

GeorgeW

Thats an interesting one Ricey, is that the same as putting old pennies in vinegar? I don't think I have the guts to do it too my rims though!

Screenshot_2016-02-01-17-07-07_zps8ndxjllt.png

Bottom line is its acid (can't remember what kind) but it did this to these wheel trims.

Like I say.....i wouldn't use it on a customers car! :lol:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have had another dig, and found that they are 'SSW (stamford sport wheels) S062 Omega' wheels. But no idea how much they are worth etc. I have not long put a set of falken rubbers on the rear, so would be a shame to not get my money out of them. My main concern is how heavy they are, not sure what 18's would be like, as people say '18 for speed, 19-20 for show' but god these weigh a ton!

I did try to politely suggest they werent chrome.

As to what they are worth, all depends what someone wants to pay, but, not much imho, you would be best putting them on ebay.

Try driving a 350 on rays/other lightweight wheel or some reasonable 19's and it will be night and day to the way it is now, that will make up your mind as to what you do.

Yes you are right, but too be honest I don't see any problems with how it drives, but using 18's will surely make it obvious!

With he new baby, and a wedding coming up, new wheels won't be happening any time soon, but I have been eyeing up the batch on Tarmac sports, the 'jr11's', but as I say, I will have to save up for them :)

For now though, I will see what I can do with making these look presentable (up close, from a distance they look great clean)

I love shiney lips on rims :teeth:

Those lips remind me of some shiney stainless steel lips found on some Team Dynamics wheels such as their Equinox rims

http://www.team-dynamics.com/wheeldetail.php?Equinox

I'd presume stainless steel is much harder wearing than chrome or polished and easier to clean up.

Fingers crossed these are stainless steel.

Only disadvantage with the stainless steel lips was weight.

In fact Team Dynamics even did a rim replacement service

http://www.team-dynamics.com/page.php?identity=options

Shame SSW don't

Good luck anyway.

Enjoy them for now.

If I was in your shoes, when time came I had to do something I'd try test polishing a tiny spot where the spoke meets the rim.

You never know, they might be stainless steel and as easy to polish as exhaust tips :thumbs:

Thankyou, yes you are right, I think I wil have to spend a bit of time trying different polishing techniques to work out the way to shine these back up, my dad has an electric polisher which he never uses. If brute force is needed I will whip that out, at least being 20'', the rim is large enough to work on comfortably with a machine!

Oh wow can't believe you have them aswell! - pm sent.

It's a shame to hear you have struggled to restore the shine aswell, I guess this is just one for the big boys to restore?

Do you use a machine polisher or just tried by hand?