first scare of the year

lance350

Unfortunately I don't have a little run around so unless there's a good amount of snow put down the z gets used or I just work from home. You guys do know the loud pedal isn't binary right? :p

Take a look at little CAT D cars on Auto trader ;) can get yourself a run around for around £500 and then run it like a cheapskate, comes in so handy though.

• Like 1

Im struggling to find anything rwd for cheap. e36s used to be a good shout but they have shot up recently

I think you'd want something FWD for winter run around, but now that you mention E36, a few people i know are buying them now as the price is low, and you are right they are now starting to appreciate, maybe good for a profit flip.

100% agree FWD is the sensible choice for snow but there is nothing more fun the a e36 320 with a welding diff in the snow as long as its no too hilly where you live. They have been on the up for a while now a friend of mine has almost double his money on an m3 he brought a couple of years ago.

Well it depends on the snow really doesn't it, the slushy crap we get around here our FWD just understeers more. I agree, on the one day a year we actually get a covering of snow, FWD or 4WD is king, but it's not worth it for the other 364 for me haha.

On the day we do get an inch of snow, I won't be making my 40 mile commute!

I saw some ice in my work car park and figured I'd check n see how cheeky I can be to get the tail out, turns out... not very, especially when tyres are cold!

Turns out torque comes into play very quickly ;)

On a side note, the gauge that reads out MPG and shift light etc started saying -3 and Icy but also RPM, anyone know why it says RPM? Said it for the last few times it's been cold, but not today for some strange reason

I suddenly gained a whole load of respect for the zed tonight when the back stepped out on me in 3rd gear 25mph under gentle acceleration through a village.

It certainly woke me up and grabbed my attention!

Really? Was is sheet ice or something? 25 is pretty slow for 3rd and gentle acceleration, you sure it was 2nd and flat to the floor :p

Yes I was being well behaved for a change! It was find for the rest of the journey just this one stretch through a particular village where the road was unbelievably slippery. :wacko:

I did the 2nd gear foot flat to the floor thing at a mates farm at the weekend, she does good skids on ice! Should have done some donuts when I had the chance too! :lol:

• Like 1

Probably worth mentioning at this point that any shenanigans on anywhere other than privately owned land to which the public have no access could see you happily charged with dangerous driving. This includes car parks, industrial estates, private roads etc.

In short, pick your hooning places carefully folks. :)

Not related to your post directly Cyder, as that wouldn't be classed as somewhere the public have access to, so crack on :thumbs:

• Like 1

It's a fair point Ekona, for many of us it's really not worth our driving licences to get a charge for something like dangerous driving. Certainly my employer would take a very dim view indeed.

I had the pleasure of drifting a 350Z at Millbrook a year or two back on the handling pad when on training for work and it always sticks in my mind how rubbisb I was at it and how quickly it snapped the other way and I don't fancy doing that on the public roads!

Edited by Cyder

Ah, nothing like going on a car control day to make you realise how crap you are at controlling oversteer. Once you've been on a racetrack or a skid pad you realise just how tight most roads are - with traffic, kerbs, signs, bollards and everything else there is literally zero margin for error.

Probably worth mentioning at this point that any shenanigans on anywhere other than privately owned land to which the public have no access could see you happily charged with dangerous driving. This includes car parks, industrial estates, private roads etc.

In short, pick your hooning places carefully folks. :)

Good point!

Having done a lot of off-road motorsport in my early years......it taught me an awful lot about car control in slippery conditions - particularly doing Production Car Trials that involved negotiating steep inclines on narrow courses. Favourite cars for me were Beetles and Imps (glad you added the RWDs Dan) - so with all the weight at the rear that could be a blessing on the uphills but on the downhills really grabbed your attention to prevent them sliding out of the set course.

So when it comes to snow, ice and any slippery driving condtions best control is using the gears and stay off the footbrake and when on the downhill sheet ice stuff, obviously as slow as possible using the handbrake (only as necessary) so that you are not locking the front wheels and can steer with right hand and have a better chance to counteract potential conflict with kerbs etc.

One of the big downsides with A45 - electronic handbrake, makes my advice ^^^ rubbish!!! But when it is not icy then the A45 4WD is frankly awesome.