S15 query

ZeppoJeff

I had an S15 spec-s that had an SR20DET conversion for a couple of years and it was nothing but reliable even at nearly 360bhp, the only issue I ever had was a MAF sensor that gave up and left me stranded once, apart from that, nothing at all. S15s are getting old now so will naturally be starting to suffer from corrosion, so that's definitely something to look out for. They share a lot of parts with the S14 as you might already know so getting parts isn't too much of a problem. Factory S15 specific parts can be expensive and take time to get hold of though. I'd try and get a stock Spec-R with factory aero kit as there's less chance it's been abused.

Some of the info here may be helpful: http://forum.s15oc.com/announcement.php?f=14&a=1

Edited by AP350GT

I had an S15 spec-s that had an SR20DET conversion for a couple of years and it was nothing but reliable even at nearly 360bhp, the only issue I ever had was a MAF sensor that gave up and left me stranded once, apart from that, nothing at all. S15s are getting old now so will naturally be starting to suffer from corrosion, so that's definitely something to look out for. They share a lot of parts with the S14 as you might already know so getting parts isn't too much of a problem. Factory S15 specific parts can be expensive and take time to get hold of though. I'd try and get a stock Spec-R with factory aero kit as there's less chance it's been abused.

Some of the info here may be helpful: http://forum.s15oc.com/announcement.php?f=14&a=1

Thanks for that.

Was planning on importing one maybe but just really wanted to know people past experiences with them.

Ain't going to be anytime soon I get one anyways as I'm not going to get rid of the zed and have to save quite abit.

I've been looking at them to Jeff, they are steadily rising in price and pretty rare, same as the S14's.

Currently got my eye on this S14

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-s14a-200sx-1998-/141851264067?hash=item2106fe8443:g:ezEAAOSwcBhWbEDB

Holy hell thats a ridiculous price for a s14.

I do love the s14 also but there's just something about the s15 I love even more

Where is Docrwa? Someone tell me whats wrong with this? Otherwise I'm going to Tradelink with mine and buying this!

I would want to see the auction sheet to see what it was graded as R first buddy.

Yeah I'm currently asking a few Sbod friends to find out some information. There has to be a reason it's under-market value, unless it's a genuine bargain.

The 'S's seem to be really popular in some corners, but I really can't really see why. They're not especially pretty, do they have an amazing chassis or engine? Or is there a cult element I just don't know about?

Not trolling, just a genuine question as I can't see it :shrug:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder Stu.

I really like them, I also like the Nissan Jukes but my Wife won't have one though as she thinks they look awful.

Yeah it really is. I had a Nissan Juke and everyone slated me for it and I absolutely loved her.

1.6 dig-t and it fairly put face on all those corsa vxr owners when they tried to race it :p

I had a 2000 "W" plate completely stock S15 Spec R . I can honestly say it was the best car I ever had, 100% reliable, cracking 6 speed gearbox, effortless power and not "Jumpy" at the back like the S14's were. (They would always catch me out in the damp and I'd end up facing the wrong direction). If I decide to sell my Zed I would p/ex it for another S15. If I hadn't have lost my job at the time I'd still have that car today. Here's some pici's....

CIMG1079.jpgCIMG2184.jpgCIMG2169.jpgDSC00312.jpg

• Like 1

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder Stu.

I really like them, I also like the Nissan Jukes but my Wife won't have one though as she thinks they look awful.

That's fair enough, I just wondered if there was something I was missing. Beauty is indeed a very subjective matter :)

PS - I like Jukes too!

Edit: That purple one is FIT!

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 1

The 'S's seem to be really popular in some corners, but I really can't really see why. They're not especially pretty, do they have an amazing chassis or engine? Or is there a cult element I just don't know about?

Not trolling, just a genuine question as I can't see it :shrug:

They do have a pretty big following because of their drifting success in Japan.

Personally i think they look pretty average std (s15), but with the right kit can look awesome, a buddy did a ps13 which looked epic :)

I would be interested to hear about the chassis, handling wise i mean?

Edited by Jetpilot

Some importers are bringing standard spec-r's in for quite a bit cheaper than they were a couple of years ago, they're much more common than they used to be now so saturation reduces prices. I reckon if that one on driftworks had the sought after factory aero kit it would be a higher price.

To the above regards handling, mine stuck to the road like it was on rails when dry out, could really throw it about with no worries knowing it would stick and respond well. Traction in the wet however... twitchy haha

This was mine

10431323_785786238110841_6153002471929277677_o_1.jpg

_DSC3271-20.jpg

_DSC3243-13.jpg

image5.jpg

Edited by AP350GT
  • Like 4

Sorry, been a bit busy. For those that dont know Im the Chairman of SXOC, and Ive owned various S chassis, only driven S15 though.

The popularity is due to IMO to 4 things: RWD, LSD and reasonable quick as standard, easily tuneable and relatively light. If you can think of another car that does all of that Ill be impressed.

The turbo kick and weight makes them more exciting than Z33 to drive and they are actually pretty practical - big boots and can be 4 seaters if youve only got little legs ;)

The Zed is a generation later though, the chassis on an S15 dates back to the S13 (1988), the SR20 despite being a quality engine was being used from 1990 and the interiors can feel a bit sparse and dated, they can be a bit rusty as well, even S15.

I came very close to buying an S15 instead of my Zed but didnt because I was worried Id get carried away and have another 400hp driftcar within 2 weeks rather than a daily and Im probably glad I did, but if youre looking for something to modify, track or drift Id have a serious look at them.

Prices are a source of comedy for many long term S chassis owners - I bought a mint S13 in 2010 for under a grand and you could pick S14's up for roughly the same until about 2 years ago. Since then drifting seems to have got a lot bigger, numbers are falling so values are going up - if I was in the market Id be looking directly at S15 as they are that much newer and nicer (although I still harbour deep love for S13) :cloud9:

The S14 Tarmac posted is horribly overpriced for what it is and thats the biggest problem with these badgirls, there is huge variety in conditions, modifications and miles so people just take a chance.

For comparison this one is about (w)as good as S14's get: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?582659-Track-Focused-S14a-430bhp-White-Huge-Spec and this Id buy in a second if I had the space: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?579848-435hp-Damson-s14a-Super-clean-and-brand-new-SR22-big-spec, I know the car and the owner well :)

Feel free to ask anything youd like to know, theres not many people who know them better than I do, Ive written off 5 (6 if you include the S12) to start with :lol:

• Like 2

The popularity is due to IMO to 4 things: RWD, LSD and reasonable quick as standard, easily tuneable and relatively light. If you can think of another car that does all of that Ill be impressed.

Rx7, are you impressed or just bored of me banging on about rx7's :teeth:

How would you compare the s15 handling to the Zed?

• Like 2