Part Ex Prices!

PMX

Ok, so I have mentioned before that I want to move from a 350z to a 370z......

I am generally quite lazy with this sort of thing so I normally go for part-ex which is the easiest route.

The problem I have at the moment, is I am being offered stupid money for my car, it's a good, genuine 2008 HR, GT, 64,000 miles now, I have looking after it properly for the last 2 years, full Nissan service before I bought it, Cougar Sports since including P3, plus new brake discs and pads, plus new MPSS a few months ago.....so it really tick's me off to be offered £6k on a part ex...

Sorry I am just having a rant here....this is not an advert for my car. When/if I sell my car, it will be via the proper channels.

I got £7k P/Ex on a 2005 DE just over a year ago, albeit the car I was buying was probably overpriced a bit. They obviously don't want it for some reason. I don't quite understand why traders don't just say they are not interested in a particular type of car or they are overstocked or time of year or whatever rather than offer such an annoyingly low price. I guess they are just hoping they get lucky and someone naively says yes.

Unfortunately thats just the way it is. Dealers will normally give you 25% less than they will put the car on the forecourt for. Privately, you might be able to get 10->15% more than what they are offering, but then you have the hassle of advertising, being there for people to view, and then never knowing how long it will take to sell. In the end, you may have to end up dropping the price to nearly the same as the part ex price anyway in order to get a quick sale.

When I part ex`d my 2007 HR Roadster 3 years back to a dealer they gave me £9k for it. It had every optional extra you could get, had full history, 40k on the clock and was absolutely mint. Id even just put new tyres on it, new brake pads and got it MOT`d. They put it up for about £13k and struggled to sell it. In the end it went to a couple of different dealers before it finally sold. I spoke to the new owner afterwards and apparently they had to fit a complete new roof on it before the new owner would part with his cash. (god knows what they did as the roof was mint when I had it). I initially felt robbed at £9k but after seeing the hassle the dealer had trying to sell the car and the amount of cash they outlayed in order to finally move it, it made me feel a bit better and it also meant I could jump straight into my new car without any hassle.

Unfortunately thats just the way it is. Dealers will normally give you 25% less than they will put the car on the forecourt for. Privately, you might be able to get 10->15% more than what they are offering, but then you have the hassle of advertising, being there for people to view, and then never knowing how long it will take to sell. In the end, you may have to end up dropping the price to nearly the same as the part ex price anyway in order to get a quick sale.

When I part ex`d my 2007 HR Roadster 3 years back to a dealer they gave me £9k for it. It had every optional extra you could get, had full history, 40k on the clock and was absolutely mint. Id even just put new tyres on it, new brake pads and got it MOT`d. They put it up for about £13k and struggled to sell it. In the end it went to a couple of different dealers before it finally sold. I spoke to the new owner afterwards and apparently they had to fit a complete new roof on it before the new owner would part with his cash. (god knows what they did as the roof was mint when I had it). I initially felt robbed at £9k but after seeing the hassle the dealer had trying to sell the car and the amount of cash they outlayed in order to finally move it, it made me feel a bit better and it also meant I could jump straight into my new car without any hassle.

Perhaps if the dealer had not been so greedy and marked it up in relation to what the car cost him and advertised the car at circa £10995. then that leaves him enough wiggle room to allow the car to retail and perhaps retain the new customer for future servicing , mots and future P/X. not to mention the commission on any potential HP deals.

Unfortunately some of these guys do not look at the bigger picture.