engine oil top up..quantity?

Dashurik

Just buy enough to take it to the top mark on the dipstick.

I can't be more accurate than that as you do not say where the oil level is on the dip stick at present.

If you have to put in 5 litres than I sincerely hope that you have very good warranty.

• Like 1

don't shoot me guys but Im struggling to read it! Took it out twice and all I could see bit of oil in the bottom and bit on top way higher than "H" mark.I know for sure it can't be overfilled! Surely Im doing something wrong???

Checking from cold on a level surface is the only way to go to get a proper clear reading.

Keep trying. It can take 10-20 goes to get a reading on that dipstick. Wipe every time, put it in both ways, spin it around. Just try everything basically, until you're sure you've got a proper reading.

I gave up after few times !Ill do it tomorrow morning again! Didn't spin it at all THOUGH! Is it possible not to have any oil on the dipstick at all??engine too low on oil??Car drives,sounds fine ,just yesterday after hard acceleration/braking engine light went on that made me think! Car did about 2k miles from last service!

Edited by Dashurik

don't shoot me guys but Im struggling to read it! Took it out twice and all I could see bit of oil in the bottom and bit on top way higher than "H" mark.I know for sure it can't be overfilled! Surely Im doing something wrong???

Checking from cold on a level surface is the only way to go to get a proper clear reading.

Car was sitting all day today! ground is pretty much level as far as i know! If I struggle to read it tomorrow again can I just add oil by eye or there is a danger of overfill and potentially damage to engine?

Edited by Dashurik

Everyone says the dipstick on the DE is a nightmare to read. I find reading it absolutely fine. Quite easy really. The nightmare is taking the dipstick out and replacing.

Try and take it out smoothly but quickly. As soon as its out hold it flat and read the level. Sometimes worth using a torch to see the level depending on light/eyesight. :D

If its dry I would be topping up before starting it up. :wacko:

But its important you get an accurate reading. Over fillling oil is not a good idea.

Today i had another go! When it was cold.Stick was covered in oil but on the side where it wasnt any markings and it was high! Cant be right? .Side which had markings was just smeared with oil and I couldnt read it! Im really disappointed ! Looks like a very simple job to do,but it turned out a nighmare!

Edited by Dashurik

You do know that you have to wipe the dipstick clean with a rag before you will get a clear reading.

From cold you should only have to do this a few times.

Yes Alex!I did it from cold..Took it out ,wiped it...Put it back ,waited 20 sec and pulled out! "back" side was covered in oil and if I compare it to the "front " markings its was way too high! Thats can't be right ?May be dipstick is fooked?!! Front side was just smeared in oil ,so I couldn't read it!

Also did same procedure as recommended in manual!Still same :back side is full of oil and way too high above the MAX,front side is just smeared with oil and impossible to read!

Looks like a visit to garage is guaranteed for me just to pay for top up/drainage..What a joke!

Best not to leave in for 20 secs.

I find that from cold just remove dip stick, give it a wipe, pop it back in again and pull out immediately.

From what you are saying, sounds like it may be over filled.

So, may be a plan to change the oil and filter and just put in the recommended amount for your model to take it up to the max. mark.

Best not to leave in for 20 secs.

I find that from cold just remove dip stick, give it a wipe, pop it back in again and pull out immediately.

From what you are saying, sounds like it may be over filled.

So, may be a plan to change the oil and filter and just put in the recommended amount for your model to take it up to the max. mark.

Tried quick way too Alex! In and out quickly and that wasn't showing any clear reading,just smeared oil on both sides! It can't be overfilled I think1 Sly did my service nearly 9 month ago!!!Shame he is too far otherwise I would go there just for piece of mind!