Gas pedal changes firmness?

Hodaka

Hi guys,

I'm still trying to figure out what sort of conditions cause it, but I've noticed that sometimes the gas pedal becomes firmer during a drive. The firmness will be normal when I first start the car, but it can stiffen up within 10-15 mins of driving. And I don't think it's the drop in temperature outside as it's been doing this for a couple of months.

I feel like I'm not providing much detail, but I'm not sure what other details I can give really...

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I tried searching the forums but couldn't see anything that looked related.

Any input would be much appreciated! :)

Cheers!

Strange as the throttle is fly by wire, there isn't really anything that would cause the peddal to get stiffer, all the moving parts are in the driver's footwell.... Maybe the pedal mechanism is binding up a bit, have you tried a bit of spray oil on the pedal pivot...

Strange as the throttle is fly by wire, there isn't really anything that would cause the peddal to get stiffer, all the moving parts are in the driver's footwell.... Maybe the pedal mechanism is binding up a bit, have you tried a bit of spray oil on the pedal pivot...

Thanks for your input Olly. :) No I haven't tried that. I will try to take a look this week.

Not sure if this could cause it, but I noticed the carpet (?) at the back of the footwell has lifted somewhat as well. Could that have an affect do you think?

Could be a carbon build up on the inside of the butterfly flap? Get a bit of carb cleaner and give the throttle flap a clean if you have no joy with lubricating the pedal.

I cleaned mine during a service the other day and was surprised at the amount of crap I cleaned out!

Thanks guys. :)

I'm a bit clueless, so wanted to clarify what you guys meant. Is it clean and lubricate the spring in the red box, then try carb cleaner on the thing in the blue box?

gas-pedal_zpslbcn3cuv.jpg

And yeah Olly I was thinking that too. Do you know how the carpet is meant to be attached to the wall of the footwell? I can't see any clips or anything.

Could be a carbon build up on the inside of the butterfly flap? Get a bit of carb cleaner and give the throttle flap a clean if you have no joy with lubricating the pedal.

I cleaned mine during a service the other day and was surprised at the amount of crap I cleaned out!

the throttle pedal isn't connected to the butterfly with a cable , as Olly has said the car is fly by wire so no hard connection between the pedla and butterfly.

Sorry guys, I'm probably not being clear as I don't know the technical phrases for everything! :surrender:

It's this carpet thing shown below, not the mat. It used to sit against the bulkhead (is that what it's called? The white-ish thing in the pic), but after I took it into the garage a little while ago, it seems to have come loose.

In the pic I am peeling it back with my hand, just to show it's loose.

Can I just used double-sided tape or something to hold it in place?

20151206_191338_zps3cn1yoe2.jpg

Edited by Hodaka

That is just sound proofing, so just make sure it is well away from the pedal fulcrum because if it is snagging then this may well be your issue.

Glue or double sided tape should do the trick.

Thanks Alex, will give that a go! :thumbs:

Hi guys,

So I used double-sided tape on the carpet, which has definitely sorted the carpet pulling up. I also secured the floor mat to that plastic clip under the seat. Might be quite minor, but it pleased me a lot to know those are sorted, so thanks for your input! :thumbs:

Also I noticed the pedal stiffening up on the drive back from work today. When I got home, I literally rubbed the spring with my fingers and got a bit of the cr*p off it. Tried the peddle again and it was much lighter again.

So it seems to be that spring area (pedal fulcrum?). I'll clean it and lube it, but I was wondering if someone could recommend what lube I should use? :surrender:

Cheers guys,

Hodaka

Edited by Hodaka

Wow, that was quick!

Will WD-40 need topping up frequently? Just asking as the stuff that's on there currently felt a bit "thicker" in consistency, so was wondering if that stuff is longer lasting.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I'm seriously clueless about this stuff - really do want to learn so I'm not so useless! :)

Well WD-40 is a very thin oil and wil need spraying on, I'd try that 1st and operating the pedal to see if it gets any better, the thicker stuff is probably some sort of grease, I would try the WD-40 1st tho as its not as messy as grease!

Just be carefull not to get any on the pedals for obvious reasons 👊