Currently standard suspension... what can I do to make it better?

AdrianL

It currently handles excellently, but it's all standard and I must tinker... so what would you recommend? :-)

Not necessarily talking springs/shocks/coilovers, but what is good bang for buck? Open to suggestions.

It certainly feels like it could be stiffened up. I don't want too much of a harsh ride either. Something that's usable on the road but noticeably better on the track.

Cheers,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianL

I now have whitline roll bars and kw v3 coilovers. The car handled great anyway but it's so much sharper and sure footed now

Both gave a substantial difference in feel to the car so I would do you roll bars first and build on it

Keeps you busy tinkering and you get to feel the benefits of each mod :)

Thanks guys. Sounds like coilovers and anti rollbars are the way to go. Are the MeisterR coilies a harsh ride?

I find them very compliant and a comfy ride.

Had eibach springs before and there a lot more comfortable ride

Edited by lmc

Thanks guys. Sounds like coilovers and anti rollbars are the way to go. Are the MeisterR coilies a harsh ride?

I don't find them harsh and they have 32 hardness settings (although admittedly I find the first 10 or so too soft for any practical use).

I have eibach arb , tein springs and bilstein b6 dampers . I really good set up imo , not harsh at all and quality made products . It is however all coming off as i treated the zed to some ohlins coilovers ! The above for the budget though is really good . If i were on the hunt for more budget friendly coilovers i would be looking at the meister r sets . Looks to be a great coilover for the money and also a very good company to deal with .

MeisterR on here is another contender for coilovers, most people (including myself) seem happy with them and their not that expensive.

+1

Zeta Meister R's are amazing. So sharp - you wouldn't regret it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my take, and might be bias but I'll do best to justify my suggestion:

1. Good Coilovers First… (well, isn't that biased :p )

The reason for that is because you change the entire suspension setup that affect the overall vehicle dynamic of the car.

Lets get a few basic done first:

1. Springs are design to hold the car up, and allow movement.

2. Damper are design to control the springs movement.

I will get into why the above is important below.

Lets use the Z33 for example...

You use a lowering springs (which normally is a progressive springs with higher rate to protect the OEM dampers), and the ride stiffen a little bit due to the springs rate.

However, as the springs are made with OEM dampers in mind, springs rate have to be lose to what the OEM damper can handle.

What you are not getting is the control a performance damper will provide, so you don't get that sharp steering response a performance car likes to have.

Now you add in a performance damper:

Non-adjustable: These are normally design to work with OEM springs, so their damper style and force are limited.

Adjustable: These are still design to work with OEM springs, so while it works it is still a compromise.

So why did I say all the above?

Because you can see how every parts are compromised in order to work with another parts

A good coilovers can provide good steering response, good roll resistant, and an adjustment to allow user to set the ride quality to their preference because it is design together to work out of the box.

We don't have to set a springs rate while wondering if the owners will buy an non-adjustable Bilstein damper or an adjustable Koni one, because we can design the damper to work with the springs too.

That one change will mean you sort out most of the vehicle dynamic of the car, with adjustments for you to dial in what you want.

Every car is different, every driver is different, so those adjustments are necessary to cater to what you want…

For me, Anti-Roll Bar is a additional springs, it directly affect the wheel frequency (what springs control).

I personally try to stay away from changing them unless deem necessary.

In my experience, most driver install the coilovers and find no need for anti-roll bars after; but everyone is different.

So that is my take.

If I was going to spend money and try to "modify" the standard suspension to something I want.

I might as well spend that money and buy a completely new setup that will allow me to make the adjustments needed to achieve what I want.

It is actually a cheaper way to achieve the end result I want without trying a bunch of different parts out through trail and error, you will probably spend more on installation by the time you get to what you want.

Jerrick

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm seriously looking at fitting some meisterrs to mine, will I need adjustable control arms when setting the ride height somewhere between standard - 10 mm lower? Or what is the best ride height for handling? I'll be adding these as a upgrade for the track