Unauthorised Modifications

Mudman

Took the car over to France last week for a final big run before the enforced winter season. Was a work trip and had one the guys from Singapore with me, Ferry over and Eurotunnel back - quick hop

Booked the car with Brittany Ferries Portsmouth to Le Havre. Those that have seen my car will now she's a little low but not super low mainly from the skirts. Did the normal notification, Notes in the booking car is lowered etc, told the receptionist on check in , Then told the land side lane marshal , who advised me to take the ramp at an angle and basically didn't seem that interested . I put that down to the hundreds of lowered cars that must make the annual trip to Le Mans. All seemed OK so just followed the car in front. Went over the rear ramps nice and steady no problems, then the fun started- the ramp marshal directed me up the steeper ramp to the car deck - I did again point out car is low but the French crew waved me on, Again no problems going up the ramp but at the at the top... CRUNCH !!!!!. :bang: Skirts grounded badly - so bad couldn't drive forward. Top deck marshal appears from nowhere screaming down his radio. Loading stops the 9 or so cars behind all have to reverse down - that was more fun and I nurse the Zed down to the lorry deck with some other cars ( where it should have been in the first place.)

Front lip is untouched but drivers side skirts has take a whack - you can't see it from the side but badly damaged from underneath. Once on board went to reception and they advised I needed to speak to the loading officer who by now was aware there had been a problem. However its was 11pm and I was exhausted having flown in from Germany to pick up the car then drive to Portsmouth. I did bang off a mail to customer services voicing my displeasure.

Following morning after the rest of the cars had discharged, the deck officer came over and was very apologetic and admitted the car should not have been directed to the top deck. He did a damage report and I have received a mail from Brittany Ferries to get the car inspected and obtain an estimate. I am tempted to go Main Dealer as one but will use my normal guy as well, mainly as he knows the car so well.

So at this stage I don't see the point in involving the Insurance company and fingers crossed its going to be a bit of filler and partial respray. I did drive the car back to Calais - no issues with exhaust etc. The weather was dreadful so had to take it very carefully. I haven't reviewed the dash cam footage of the ferry load yet - might be too painful to watch !

More to follow......

Edited by Mudman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Got the car checked over yesterday and no damage underneath. There was a bit of a dent on a support plate towards the rear but not convinced the ramp did that - the drivers side skirt is a bit of a mess though and cracking on the wheel arch

So just the body shop and the estimate was £362. Passed that to Brittany Ferries and have just got the OK to go ahead so all good

Think I might get a skid plate fabricated for the low points before the skirt gets refitted !

• Like 3

Sounds like it all should work out hopefully for you. :) My experience was the same at Le Mans (Portsmouth to Caen), told everyone I could its low, but still ended up on top deck. But for me there was no grounding, and they were actually very helpful, the captain of the boat was on his hands and knees guiding me in at an angle making sure the front was okay. Was quite impressed. ;)