Calling all builders & structural engineers.

harryjackson

Hello, just recently bought a house and my garage has this parting wall. I'm looking to knock the wall down to open up the space. As you can see it has been added after the original construction.

My question is, will it be safe to remove? I highly doubt it is supporting the garage itself.

Some measurements of the wall and garage below;

Garage interior wall

Width -176cm

Height -224cm

Garage size

Length 514cm

Width 265cm

Height 224cm

Photos;

Garage exterior wall

9E11EFBB-F6B6-454A-A3FA-B3DCBB7D3B79_zpsgac0dmjr.jpg

Interior wall ( to be knocked down)

6B336F2E-1B7D-4AEC-AAC5-A89931B64DBA_zpsd6e1t8vj.jpg

Thank you.

Edited by harryjackson

Is the window and door inside the garage still in use or are they blocked over by the new blocks?. They are thermolite blocks usually used internally for warmth, also very lightweight. Possibly the garage wall was single skin and it has been added as a cavity also offering strength.

Is the window and door inside the garage still in use or are they blocked over by the new blocks?. They are thermolite blocks usually used internally for warmth, also very lightweight. Possibly the garage wall was single skin and it has been added as a cavity also offering strength.

Yes they're still in use no bricks blocking there access. I'm confused why you'd want to but a 25cm thick wall in and sacrifice space. Very unusual.

A "birds eye view" drawing of the garage with the position of the wall and the direction of the roof timbers would be helpful. But if you have no timbers sitting on the wall and it's just a flat roof above then I would suggest it's not load bearing.

As Veilside says thermolite/celcon blocks are very light weight and would normally have a timber wall plate on top if they were supporting a structure such as rafters or joists.

This is just my opinion though mate, always err on the side of caution when removing walls. Don't take what anyone says as fact unless their looking at it in person! :)

• Like 1

Am I reading this correctly?

Looking at the brickwork on the return (outside wall) it appears to be the same as that to left the garage and the section with the door/window is an 'infill', noting the different colour bricks?

Is the blockwork wall also visible on the garage side or is that brickwork as per the rest of the garage? If so, it makes me feel the blockwork wall (where that stored wood can be seen) was added to give insulation to the space and/or support for the new infill roof (where that stored wood can be seen). Which then begs the question as to what might happen to the infill/garage roof if the blockwork wall were removed.

As others have said a bit more detail to help the understanding accepting my take on the issue may be wrong :surrender:

Looking at the brickwork on the return (outside wall) it appears to be the same as that to left the garage and the section with the door/window is an 'infill', noting the different colour bricks?

Is the blockwork wall also visible on the garage side or is that brickwork as per the rest of the garage? If so, it makes me feel the blockwork wall (where that stored wood can be seen) was added to give insulation to the space and/or support for the new infill roof (where that stored wood can be seen). Which then begs the question as to what might happen to the infill/garage roof if the blockwork wall were removed.

As others have said a bit more detail to help the understanding accepting my take on the issue may be wrong :surrender:

From what I believe the brick is original the grey breeze blocks have been added after. All I need to know is if it's safe to knock down. I'm sure if it's been added after garage was done the garage must have stood perfectly fine before the new wall.

I think I'm pretty confident it isn't supporting the roof.

From what I believe the brick is original the grey breeze blocks have been added after. All I need to know is if it's safe to knock down. I'm sure if it's been added after garage was done the garage must have stood perfectly fine before the new wall.

I think I'm pretty confident it isn't supporting the roof.

But it looks to me as though the garage was originally detached and the orange coloured bricks + definitely the blockwork wall, are later additions.

But is the other side of the blockwork wall visible inside the garage or is it brickwork and that is the same as the bricks we can see to the side of what I presume is the garage door?

The other side of the garage is brick work. The blocks look fresh but I don't understand why they'd need to put that wall in AFTER the original construction.

Having confirmed that ^^^, I now have little doubt the blockwork was added for insulation purposes and probably to support the linking roof, therefore it is likely to have structural implications.

But based on the info to date, and really you are best advised to get a competent person along to inspect - at least by a respected builder or a surveyor ;)