HR gear speeds

Luke350

'Indicated' anyway your looking at around 35-40 in 1st, 70 in 2nd, 105 in 3rd, 135ish in 4th and 5th pretty much takes you all the way to more than you expect (indicated)... 6th just seems to be there as a bonus or for fuel economy...whatever that is :lol: lol (someone else might come along to give more accurate findings)

Edited by AMT

Guest marcw79

I know I'm not answering your question ... And that i have the DE engine ... But as i tried this myself today, and for purposes of comparison ... in my 2006 350z facelift, I get about 40 in 1st, and 70 in 2nd ... All at 7000 rpm ... And as that's the national speed limit on motorways so I couldn't possibly know the others ... :-/ ... I'm sure you get there quicker though :-)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by marcw79

Ye it seemed to be more like

1st gear 46

2nd gear 78

3rd gear 110

On a private road of course...

There must be official figures. With the HR going mental at around 5,500 it makes using that power band really hard. You can be at 30mph and need to put it in 1st if you don't want to sit there waiting for it to take off. And like wise if you was at 55 you would be looking at 2nd! In a RWD drive car that's a little scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one will prob be able to say unless theyve vboxed it or found an old magazine review but it prob wont go above these in each gear ; .. 40,70,105,135,160ish... plus your 'fuel friendly' 6th gear but the higher you go sometimes the speedo is further out I think so 5th's speed is a bit of an uncertainty lol The speedo at least in 5th will certainly go round to 160 and im sure theres still a tiny tiny bit of revs left to use. Would be great if someone took one to those vmax events to get an official recording.... hint all you people down south haha

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by AMT

Ye I think it's like a percentage out. So the higher the speed, the more it's out. The main reason I was asking is because it makes the car very tough to get the most out of it. It pulls well in all gears at most speeds. But the HR especially needs to be up the Rev range to be competitive against similar spec'd cars. (I'm scared my friend in a CTR will spank me!) 😂

Edited by Luke350

Gear ratios for the 350z are here

http://mechdb.com/index.php/Nissan_gear_ratios

Using a tool like this, you can do it yourself

http://johnmaherraci...tio-calculator/

I'm not going to do it all but with 245/45/18 tyres, final drive of 3.5 , second gear of 2.32 the car will achieve 73.3mph at 7500rpm

This is nothing to do with speedometer reading but actually road speed at the wheels, the speedo could read more than this

Edited by Richf
  • Like 1

So taking rich's link and filling out the rest of the data we get this

rev | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th
7500 | 44.9 | 73.3 | 105.0 | 134.0 | 170.2

no idea how much that will compare to reality given the frictional forces at higher speeds but if you spun the wheels in air that's how fast they would be going.

also you can poke about in the manual, nissan give some figures of the max speed you can shift down in. i think they say don't drop into 2nd above 66mph, so that gives us an indication that 2nd can get close to 70mph

edit: aaaand it killed the carefully lined up spacing in the code block. rabble rabble rabble! there, let's see if the bars make it a bit clearer

Edited by HiddenWomble

Someone give Womble a medal! Cheers. Those figures look pretty accurate mate. As indicated were a little higher as expected. That's some long gears! Bringing me back to the original point that a HR has potential to be a really quick car IF you can keep it in the power band and aren't scared of high revs in a RWD car!