Ctek chargers?

hyeung

Hi,

Not been able to use the Z much these days, and have it parked in the garage.

However, recently experienced start issues due to battery drain and general lack of use.

I'm thinking of getting a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up. It seems some have gone for Ctek.

Looking to get the Ctek MXS5.0?

As I have the car parked indoors (double garage), for safety reasons is it fine to have such a unit connected up, charging and unattended in an enclosed garage? We have a gas boiler in the corner and the Z parked adjacent to it.

Or must you charge outdoors, as I doubt the standard cables would be long enough.

Aye, seemed like a daft question as I assumed it would be fine to charge it indoors at first.

But having read the pdf manual, and noticed that the safety notes mentions that

1) during charging it requires proper ventilation

2) battery being charged could emit explosive gases. Prevent sparks close to the battery..etc

http://www.ctek.com/Archive/ProductManualPdf/MXS%205.0%20Test%20and%20Charge_EN.pdf

Hence that's why I wanted to check it was still appropriate to use this indoors (enclosed garage w gas boiler). Otherwise it'd be a bit of a hassle having to repark the car outside for charging, and having to get extension cables routed out etc.

Modern sealed batteries, ones you don't top up are known as Valve regulated or VRLA. They recombine the hydrogen produced during charging with oxygen to maintain the electrolyte level (hydrogen + oxygen=water in simple terms)

The valve is there to vent off excess pressure.

I've worked with large batteries in the telecoms industry for years and we don't even ventilate battery rooms now as they are so safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is charged inside my garage and still on the car, I wouldnt charge inside a wardrobe but as long as its ventilated thats fine

DONT do what one of my neighbours did , charge a battery and then use his cigarette lighter to see if the water needed topping up ! Blew the roof off his garage !

Thanks just got one today.

The car hasn't been used in a week, so ran the battery test and got a bad status back.

But car still started ok, probably just voltage is slowly degrading.

Just charging her up now, and within a few minutes it had jumped to stage 4..

Can I ask for the recond mode. Does one need to do this? In the past my battery has not drained to such a state that there's zero charge. It's more likely it's lost charge slightly below the 12v threshold that's required to start the car.

The car sits unused for longer periods these days due a recent change in work circumstances (train commutes); so the car sits unused for longer periods.

The battery is about 3 years old now.

So will there be any benefit or need to add a recond step in my situation? Might be wrong but guessing it's only used when the battery is drained to zero etc.

I assume you can recond anytime even if the battery is well charged?

Cheers..

Will it really take up to 10 days at this stage until it reaches step 8?

Batteries will take as much current as you can chuck at them initially, most reaching 80-90% charged within 10-15 hours if charged at the C10 rate....that last 10-20% can take as much as 48-72 hours to acheive, and the charge rate wlll back off

mine does that as well - I've read that it might take a long while to skip over to that

Interesting, how long does yours take to go from step 7 to 8?

It's the first time I've used, so naturally thought something's not rite, or an indication that my battery is duff?

• 2 weeks later...

Used to have mine connected 24/7 to a TVR Cerbera and can't remember ever seeing the 8 led lit when I disconnected it before starting, reading the instructions I just assumed because it stated a pulse then that could mean for a split second.

I tend to connect it to my classics every couple of months because of their infrequent use, I've had my 350Z just over a month and will probably give the battery a charge every month during the winter months as I can go a week sometimes without taking it out.

Edited by Gerry40