For sale thread spamming

Jetpilot

Seems to be getting common with people making comments on for sale threads, pricing, item etc Can we have something put in the posting rules regarding this, for sale adds shouldnt be a playground for people to have opinions, if your not interested, stay off :)

• Like 2

Disagree.

Half of the point of a forum is to guide sellers and buyers into what is a fair condition and price, to help everyone. When you remove that, you end up with a dull classifieds that no-one reads.

Plus, if you're the seller then every time someone posts then it's a free bump ;) Besides, we had this debate a couple of years back and it was decided then that the seller can ask for posts to be removed and the thread locked if they wish. Best way, let the owner of the thread decide, not everyone else.

• Like 5

We tried the whats it worth thread, that didnt work for whatever reason, but a for sale thread is just that, a seller can ask what ever they think, its nothing to with you, me or anyone else. They will soon find out if the item doesnt sell.

Classifieds arent supposed to be anything but dull, their not for you to fill yourself full of your own self importance to what you think an item is worth. The people that will read them are the ones wanting to buy and will make an offer if they think the price is too high, not troll through posts about what people think and if it really concerns you, pm the guy, not crap on his advert.

At the very least, the valuations "being offered" is nothing more than speculation based on opinion not facts of actually selling a car.

• Like 1

The 'Whats it worth" thread didn't work because people kept posting in other sections anyway, it was supposed to clear out all those into a section on their own, didn't work :shrug:

As for not commenting on F/S thread, I have to disagree, some people of course will underprice everything, that's just the way they are, on the other hand, some will over price everything and those people may never sell their car. All people are doing is giving advice to the seller which may or may not help with a quicker sale and fairer price for everyone. If seller don't want advice or comments about overpriced items, they can request the thread is locked as Ekona said, or advertise elsewhere :)

• Like 1

Couldnt disagree more, opinions on price are just that, as is very evident on camys thread, some think his cars are good value, a couple dont, no one is right or wrong. But, posting on his thread numerous times, even when he lowered the price is bang out of order. If the poster was that concerned, pm the guy, not have an out and out debate on pricing, especially when he is massively innacurate.

Same goes for posting comments about items for sale, which i have had a few times, if you dont like it, dont buy it.

• Like 3

It has ALWAYS been the case that if a seller wishes his post to be locked (and thus become a normal classifieds advert) then the team would do that.

EDIT: It even says so at the tip of the sales subforums

OP can request thread to be locked.

So long as someone is not being derogatory or breaking the rules in other ways then I see no reason why members should be censored. Why should the For Sale sections be any different to any other parts of the forum?

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

You dont think telling someone their car is worth 2k less is derogatory, lol.

Sorry, i have seen it before, a forum of owners should NOT be driving down the value of our cars. Sure there are dogs out there can be had for 4-5k, but its pretty obvious these cars are in good, if not individual spec and imho after very recently selling a jdm car in lesser condition they are easily worth £6k plus so would allow some wiggle room.

A for sale add is not for "opinion" on price or item comments of devaluation, its a place to sell stuff, there are plenty of sections for opinion and debate.

I fully appreciate the member can request a thread tidied or locked but if it becomes common place for discussion it will do the 350z no favours, speaking from bitter experience.

• Like 3

Nope. Everyone is entitled. One man's dirt is another man's gold and all that jazz.

Often I have witnessed posts where the OP is clearly delusional over prices (I'm, not just referring to this forum) and it takes the forum membership as a whole to explain why. It's 50/50 as to whether the OP accepts the advice or not.

Sorry, i have seen it before, a forum of owners should NOT be driving down the value of our cars. Sure there are dogs out there can be had for 4-5k, but its pretty obvious these cars are in good, if not individual spec and imho after very recently selling a jdm car in lesser condition they are easily worth £6k plus so would allow some wiggle room.

This is a completely separate complaint and has nothing to do with whether people should or shouldn't post on for sale threads. I would say generally forum members are more realistic about the values of their cars and are thus honest about it.

A for sale add is not for "opinion" on price or item comments of devaluation, its a place to sell stuff, there are plenty of sections for opinion and debate.

It's a forum. If the OP does not want a discussion either request it's locked or else go stick it on PH or AT or even eBay.

Forums are built on discussions.

• Like 4

I wasn't the only person to feel they were not priced accordingly. However UK models can be sourced for less younger with less mileage.

No, your right, other people thought they were priced accurately ;)

As said before, why not pm him if you thought you were being helpful and who cares if you can buy a uk for less, maybe they were a bargain, what does it matter to you? Can only help us all if prices are kept strong.

There is a vast difference telling someone their 2nd hand item can be bought for x which is close to what they are asking and sharing an opinion openly on value which in this instance wasnt even like they were too far off the mark. Imho thats trolling, which there are rules against.

As said, from experience very recently, it is becoming far more common, I think from memory I have 3 threads cleaned in the last 2 months, it is a slippery slope for a free for all, that is not the concept of an add in a for sale section, forum or not.

An angrybikers last post on camys thread says it all about why it shouldnt happen.

Nope. Everyone is entitled. One man's dirt is another man's gold and all that jazz.

Often I have witnessed posts where the OP is clearly delusional over prices (I'm, not just referring to this forum) and it takes the forum membership as a whole to explain why. It's 50/50 as to whether the OP accepts the advice or not.

This is a completely separate complaint and has nothing to do with whether people should or shouldn't post on for sale threads. I would say generally forum members are more realistic about the values of their cars and are thus honest about it.

It's a forum. If the OP does not want a discussion either request it's locked or else go stick it on PH or AT or even eBay.

Forums are built on discussions.

So what's the problem then? You get free bumps with positive comments, and if the comments aren't positive then either there's a problem with the item or a problem with the price.

This place sells thousands of items and cars every year, and I can count the number of threads that get asked to be edited on one hand. That to me says that this place works very well as-is. :)

• Like 1