Cruising RPM

spunkehmunkey

when literally cruising, probably about 1500rpm, so would normally change up as soon as possible really. Unless I require any kind of acceleration, in which case i'd drop a gear pretty sharpish.

i'm pretty sure that if you're stuck in a line of traffic doing 40mph with no prospects of overtaking, the best fuel economy is to put it in 6th.

motorway cruising doesn't really count as nobody in their right mind would cruise along a motorway in anything other than 6th gear, just cost that's the highest gear. but ideally i'd be cruising at a lower rpm for better economy.

All that said, pick up is pretty poor below 3,000rpm, being an NA engine it does need some revs to make power.

most of the time im at 1000 or 900 RPM in 6th is this not the best for fuel saving then ?

I thought the lower the RPM the better ?

Alan

You guys do know, higher gear doesn't mean better MPG...

Granted don't be cruising at 70 in 3rd, but doing 40 in 6th is doing you no favours either.

doing 40mph in 6th is fine for simply cruising... you probably need about 20 bhp to cruise along at 40mph, which 6th gear can comfortably provide. Obviously don't expect much acceleration from 1300rpm, but the engine is perfectly happy with doing sustained running at that speed.

theres a reason why autoboxes shuffle up gears as quickly as possible - my beemer driven gently in full auto mode never goes above 1500rpm.

You guys do know, higher gear doesn't mean better MPG...

Granted don't be cruising at 70 in 3rd, but doing 40 in 6th is doing you no favours either.

Genuine question, why is it doing you no favours, apart from the obvious that you won't be able to out accelerate anything.

at idle there is no load on the engine though. it's all about being in the right gear rather than the highest gear possible.

I always think if you put your foot down and it doesn't pick up cleanly you're in too high a gear

Think of yourself on a pushbike - one with gears. You wouldn't ride around on the hardest to pedal gear when going slow, it's hard work. Similarly, you wouldn't be in the really easy gear when going fast, It's the same for the engine, it uses more energy thus fuel when accelerating from low revs in a high gear than it would in a comforable to spin gear.

When cruising along, this is slightly changed, provided you don't need any kind of acceleration,6th is ok. The amount of throttle dictates how much fuel you use, the time you're using it therefore has an impact - accelerate briskly, without using too much throttle for best mpg.

3000 - 4000 rpm for normal driving. I can't imagine bumbling along at 1500 rpm. For me it defeats the object of owning a car like this.

Really??? I quite like it. You can burble along in 4th doing 30mph and put your foot down for 3.5 litres of torque to waft you along. Use the torque young Jedi!!