Uneven Brake Wear (Front)

Mikey Thompson

Sent my car into Nissan for a service and health check. Came back saying it needed front discs and pads immediately due to corrosion (they said it would cost £780 to supply and fit!!)

Anyhow, replaced them for £130 (I have a friend who can get me parts on trade and fitted them myself)

I always check my pads and discs but admittedly only the outside. Now, upon removing them there is a great deal of corrosion. There is about a 35mm gouge through the centre of the disc, and the pads have the proud lip on them (see pics)

fdd8eab0ca481ffd30bfe7aa4e39fdc3.jpg

621eeb3449678ff53bc9c0a5dc845d77.jpg

Now I can't fathom what could have caused this type of wear? It is on the inside of both front discs, outsides are perfect. Can anyone shed some light? Do I need to refurb the calipers?

Yes, seen that often, usually on the inside face of the rotor.

However, should have been picked up earlier at service or pad replacement.

As above, check all pistons etc, however normal wear and tear, bordering on neglect in my book.

Alex. :)

Greater wear on the inside pads has been regularly reported on here.

You are certainly not the first to be caught out. I fancy that given it is a lot easier to see the outside pad the thickness/disc condition is taken as an indicator that the inside pad/disc will be in a similar condition....... :shrug:

yep caught me out as well. the inside of my discs were completely shot when the were inspected, outsides still nice and shiny.

still hopefully posting on here will make a few others check their discs more thoroughly! I'm guessing that's the original discs, how many miles had they done? Mine went at about 65k.

Ahh panic over!

Checked pistons while it was apart and worked fine. Was the first pad/disc change in my ownership as only purchased January this year.

Will be keeping a keen eye on the insides from now. Car was last serviced last September by Nissan with the previous owner, car is only on 43k ('04 plate) so has been stood a lot in its past life. Not sure if this could be the issue.

Thanks for the info guys!