Grounding / earthing kits..... can someone explain these for ?

Irn Bru

Bit of snake oil in my opinion. Zed should be fairly well designed to ensure major electricals are well grounded out from the factory.

I think the idea is that they provide a 'better' ground for components and therefore a more reliable and stable electrical circuit.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don't have one myself, other than cosmetics I personally don't think they do a lot, I have heard they can improve a wobbly idle on older motors but you certainty wont be gaining any power that's for sure.

Personally I wouldn't bother, but that's just me and we will see what the others say.. I'm no expert on electrics but I would expect the highest current being moved around your engine will be on start up, so if it starts it will probably run alright from a grounding kits perspective from then on.

If you have a lumpy idle, its probably more likely to be something else like spark plugs or a dodgy coil pack. Not to say a quick clean up of the existing connections wouldn't go amiss.

If you were thinking about it, i'd look into making your own, if you cant be arsed still, traders on here will be able to help; i'm sure I saw some on Tarmac's site.

• Like 1

They're a divisive topic, I'm peased with mine for looks alone and I really wasn't expecting much but I got a smoother idle. There's plenty of posts where people have fitted and not reported any change and I can't recall the thread but I'm sure someone said you could achieve the same thing by cleaning and tidying up existing grounds.

For the flip side of the coin h-dev have some findings in the blurb on their website that's worth reading in the interests of balance. http://h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=25417

At worst they're a nice bit of engine dress for not much spend, if you can make one up that matches you're engine bay theme, I personally don't see a downside.

• Like 1

Snake oil, basically a quick fix for bad earths, due to electrolysis and corrosion of the earth contact points, they over time develop a resistance, which is not good, and in some circumstances can cause problems,

You can achieve exactly the same effect by going through the engine earth points and giving them a good clean with a bit of wet n dry, and save yourself some money, unless of course you like the extra wiring in bright colours, in that case fill your boots.

• Like 2