Which combination of brake discs and pads?

CPhillips93

I apologise in advance for posting one of 'those' threads, but I have really struggled to find some decent feedback in relation to the brake discs and pads options out there for the zed.

So far I have contacted some of the traders on here and I am considering the following options:-

1. Hawk Performance Ceramic pads and Stoptech Slotted discs (potentially the slotted and drilled discs but I am not sure whether the holes are worth the extra money).
  2. Black Diamond 6 groove discs and Black Diamond pads.
  3. Stoptech slotted discs and Stoptech pads.
  4. DBA T2 Slotted discs and Hawk Performance Ceramic pads.
  5. EBC Yellowstuff pads and Turbo discs.

To add some context, it's unlikely that the car would be used on track but I would want the brakes to live up to fast road use.

Any feedback or comments you have on the above combinations would be great, or if you have any other suggestions of what to buy then please comment :teeth::thumbs:

Thanks!

Conor

Option 4 from Ewen @ CMS, however DBA T3 is worth considering. :thumbs:

What difference is there between the t2 and t3?

I can highly recommend DBA T3 discs with Ferrodo DS2500 Pads. It is a great combination!

While your there change to some braided brake lines and some Motul RBF600 fluid. You won't regret it.

I am definitely going change to the braided lines at some point. Heard some good things about the DS2500 pads but not sure whether these are overkill for the road?

See I'm thinking of upgrading also but my problem is I want best of both worlds. Decent pads and disc with great stopping power for fast road use but also minimal dust as it's just a pain when your wheels keep getting covered

I don't really mind dust like that tbh. I have used gtechniq c5 on my wheels, don't even need to use wheel cleaner!

Stoptech and Hawk or DBA T2 and Hawk. Wouldn't bother with anything more expensive unless you're doing some serious track work.

I've been running Black Diamond discs and pads for the last 3 years and they have been absolutely fine for fast road and a few track days. Will be swapping to Stoptech and Hawk at the weekend as I fancied an upgrade and I must say the quality over Black Diamond is noticeable. There was about £20 difference between them and the DBA T2.

Edited by Paddy78

Option 4 from Ewen @ CMS, however DBA T3 is worth considering. :thumbs:

What difference is there between the t2 and t3?

I can highly recommend DBA T3 discs with Ferrodo DS2500 Pads. It is a great combination!

While your there change to some braided brake lines and some Motul RBF600 fluid. You won't regret it.

I am definitely going change to the braided lines at some point. Heard some good things about the DS2500 pads but not sure whether these are overkill for the road?

Both the T2 disc and T3 disc are made of the same high quality cast iron that DBA use, the T3 goes through a further heat treatment process which allows it to deal with higher temperatures experienced on track.

Both feature the Kangaroo paw ventilation system which makes them deal with higher temperatures compared to conventional straight veined discs.

• Like 1

Sorry to the traders in advance .........

.......... but this is why I dont think traders should be allowed to recommend products unless its a direct question. If the car isnt ever going to be used on track then theres no reason at all to replace the discs, even if it is going to go on track regularly the stock ones are more than capable.

Likewise, the first piece of information you should have been given was to get braided lines and decent fluid on board, arguably this makes more difference than any of the combinations youve listed above. I notice no-one has mentioned DS2500 (which have been the uprated pad of choice for years) but someone has recommended EBC yellowstuff (which I wouldnt use on a pushbike) :lol:

While I dont disagree with the advice youve also got a member recommending a trader he is affiliated with, thats hardly impartial on anyones scale .......

Dont get me wrong, the traders on here are excellent and do an absolutely superb job and Ive been quite open in praising them in the past, but obviously any trader is going to recommend what he sells over what his competition does, and there will always be a temptation to push stuff that might not be 100% essential as well.

If youre interested, Id recommended braided lines, RBF600 and DS2500's, then you can take the missus out for a meal with the money you saved on discs, but its up to you ;)

I get what you are saying but to be fair the OP said he is looking for discs and I would assume the ones currently on the car are needing replaced.

He has also stated its for fast road use, if someone comes to me for discs for normal road use I would recommend the Pagid discs but if its fast road then I think an uprated disc of good quality that will cope with the higher temperatures reached from someone pushing on is a sensible move.

We sell plenty of DS2500 pads but for purely fast road use I would say they are overkill hence I recommend the Hawks or Brembo Sport. Sam did mention the Ferodos :)

I do agree with you that fresh fluid is a good idea and braided hoses will improve pedal feel.

Regarding the member recommending a trader I assume you are talking about Alex? If so we are not affiliated in an way we bought over stock from Alex two years ago but there is no connection now although I would class Alex as a friend :)

Edited by Ewen@Clark Motorsport
  • Like 1

Like I say mate, not digging or having a go, Ive just seen people finish up with a load of stuff they didnt need before because they didnt ask the right question to the right person.

Where a member will ask someone why they think they need new discs (or anything else) a trader generally wont, Im not saying the advice is bad in any way but it may not be accurate.

Surely you have to ask why anyone with a 313 would need new discs already as well? Regardless, Ive said my bit, I

Like I say mate, not digging or having a go, Ive just seen people finish up with a load of stuff they didnt need before because they didnt ask the right question to the right person.

Where a member will ask someone why they think they need new discs (or anything else) a trader generally wont, Im not saying the advice is bad in any way but it may not be accurate.

Surely you have to ask why anyone with a 313 would need new discs already as well? Regardless, Ive said my bit, I

No worries mate I can fully see your point :)

Totally disagree with your inflammatory comments Docwra. and must say that I am surprised and a bit disappointed as you really should know better.

I know that your comments were not directed as a slur at any one in particular.

However in all the years that I was trading on here, my recommendations were always based on what the customer wanted/required and I would often question what the customer requested, and would offer what I thought was best suited to the customers application, which usually resulted in a smaller profit margin for me.

I think that most of the Traders on here work to the same principles and philosophy.

Finally for you to suggest that my post above was influenced out of a misconceived affiliation or misguided loyalty to CMS is totally bang out of order.

Feel much better now: :lol:

My Dec 2006 is needing it's second set of discs after 50k miles, so even a late 313 could easily need new ones by now. Depends where the car is kept and how it's been used etc.

• Like 1

I notice no-one has mentioned DS2500 (which have been the uprated pad of choice for years)

If youre interested, Id recommended braided lines, RBF600 and DS2500's, then you can take the missus out for a meal with the money you saved on discs, but its up to you ;)

;) Did you not read my post (#3) :lol:

• Like 1

but someone has recommended EBC yellowstuff (which I wouldnt use on a pushbike) :lol:

While I dont disagree with the advice youve also got a member recommending a trader he is affiliated with, thats hardly impartial on anyones scale .......

Not a single one of the traders on here recommended EBC Yellowstuff... these were recommended by a cousin who installed them in his 350z. I was only putting this combination out there to hear what people had to say about them. Not the traders fault in anyway!

I know you probably didn't intend to, I find your post quite insulting. I am more than capable of telling whether or not I need new discs or not... besides it's not the traders' fault that I asked them to provide me with prices and recommendations for discs and pads.

It needs new discs on the back as the current ones are pitted and are causing brake shudder, the car is now around 8 years and has done 60k so it is expected, especially if they were the original ones on the car.

I know you probably didn't intend to, I find your post quite insulting. I am more than capable of telling whether or not I need new discs or not...

It needs new discs on the back as the current ones are pitted and are causing brake shudder, the car is now around 8 years and has done 60k so it is expected, especially if they were the original ones on the car.

OK, you obviously know your stuff, so I wont bother telling you that a skim might sort them out, or that a secondhand set of Brembo discs are going to cost you less than buying brand new. My discs did 100K and were fine, I guess Im just lucky.

If people want to go direct to traders and ask what they should do then more power to them, Im just pointing out that its often cheaper to get impartial advice and then make a decision.

Fao paddy on previous page - my cheap aftermarket discs had to be taken off after 1000miles as they were causing horrendous judder and had gone 'weird' they looked like theyd been at the bottom of the ocean. Cheaper isnt always better.

But aside from that just LOL at asking the traders to recommend what to do.

Its like having dirty windows and asking a double glazing salesman whether they should be replaced or not

• Like 1

Fao paddy on previous page - my cheap aftermarket discs had to be taken off after 1000miles as they were causing horrendous judder and had gone 'weird' they looked like theyd been at the bottom of the ocean. Cheaper isnt always better.

But aside from that just LOL at asking the traders to recommend what to do.

Its like having dirty windows and asking a double glazing salesman whether they should be replaced or not

I know what you're saying, but I wasn't talking about "cheap" aftermarket discs, just cheaper than Brembo which I don't believe to be good value for money or better quality than Stoptech / DBA.