OBD 2 advice

zebedy

Can anyone recommend a blue tooth obd dongle? I've bought one on eBay and connected with my tab using torque developments and dash command whilst hooked up to a ford kuga but will not work on my dear. Said cannot find ECU?? Is there something I don't know?? Do some work and some don't on our zeds??? Anyone using others that deffo work??

Thanks

Edited by ZZZebady

Mine works with all other cars. When I researched it I found that apparently the 350z has a different pin out for the obd2. Does anyone have one that works with android? Also what version adapter are you using? I really want to get torque working on my android head unit :(

Aha so this is a common problem them. I hope someone on here's Goth the answer. I don't want to buy expensive ones as I would like to use it as an extra dials etc when live reading. Fault reading and clearing codes is a secondary thing for me.

@Juggalo, if I leave that in my car with the engine off will it drain the battery by sending out bluetooth signals?

I believe it's on a permanent live, so leave it long enough and it will drain the battery.

Bummer, are there any which do turn off?

@Juggalo, if I leave that in my car with the engine off will it drain the battery by sending out bluetooth signals?

I believe it's on a permanent live, so leave it long enough and it will drain the battery.

I couldn't say for sure and can only go off of the couple I've tried, I think they're designed that way.

In my very limited experience, when I kill the ignition the bluetooth/wifi connection doesn't drop, so can only assume that's because it's still hot. I'm guess someone with some electrical brains could fit an inline switch for the OBD2 port, so you could manually turn it off without disconnecting the device but I don't think I've seen it done on here.

Any reason why you want to leave it in all the time, mine fits nicely into the ashtray/coin holder when out of use.

I couldn't say for sure and can only go off of the couple I've tried, I think they're designed that way.

In my very limited experience, when I kill the ignition the bluetooth/wifi connection doesn't drop, so can only assume that's because it's still hot. I'm guess someone with some electrical brains could fit an inline switch for the OBD2 port, so you could manually turn it off without disconnecting the device but I don't think I've seen it done on here.

Any reason why you want to leave it in all the time, mine fits nicely into the ashtray/coin holder when out of use.

That's a shame, it can't be that hard to make something that turns off or goes to stand by when the engine is off?

The reason I want to leave it in all the time is just pure laziness, I would have thought that technology can worry about whether the adapter is sending a signal or not so I don't have to.

That's a shame, it can't be that hard to make something that turns off or goes to stand by when the engine is off?

The reason I want to leave it in all the time is just pure laziness, I would have thought that technology can worry about whether the adapter is sending a signal or not so I don't have to.

I looked into this last night and it seems that Stu's right, it's always live, but there's many people that leave the OBD reader plugged in(on other makes) - some over a couple of years or so, with no negative effect.

Try it for a week - I reckon you'll be ok.

Edited by Juggalo

• 3 weeks later...

After having no success on my jdm or uk with the blue elm one i bought one of the white ones as per other thread linked, still nothing, in fact was worse and kept loosing bluetooth connection.

Happy to send either to someone else if they want to give them a whirl.