PETROL PRICE PROTESTS

GIXXERUK

http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/petrol ... ml#comment

BREAKING NEWS

----

UPDATE: This morning (10/12/07) Transaction 2007 announced a firm date for the protest. Protests will start Saturday 15th December 2007 at 10:00am. They say the date was decided by members as "the best possible to enable those who would normally be working during the week to attend." According to a press release on the site, they plan to protest outside refineries or storage depots across the country.

Guess there goes my hopes for the Xmas do in Birmingham then :dry:

haha your not getting out of it that easy mate! its going to take me over 1 1/2 hours to get there too but im still going!

Yeh but... you dont have a 3.5 litre engine dude, your 1.3 litre could go round the world and back and still have fuel left :blush: When you come into the bigger engines youll understand :p:winkiss:

Guess there goes my hopes for the Xmas do in Birmingham then :dry:

haha your not getting out of it that easy mate! its going to take me over 1 1/2 hours to get there too but im still going!

Yeh but... you dont have a 3.5 litre engine dude, your 1.3 litre could go round the world and back and still have fuel left :blush: When you come into the bigger engines youll understand :p:winkiss:

:scare: it will be at least twice round the world!

If they take it off fuel they'll add it somewhere else...ie road tax, income tax, national insurance etc... or they may invent a new stealth tax. The government won't cave in IMO. What is going to be more miserable, paying a bucket load on fuel ie just now or not being able to drive for weeks/queing to get fuel and still paying the same amount after the protests end...

I'm not saying it is fair and I agree something needs to be done, but I doubt it will achieve anything and could lead to the country being vunerable, ie the emergency services.

At the end of the day everyone had their chance on more than one occassion to boot labour out... unfortunately in my constituancy a monkey with a red flag would be voted in... in fact i'm pretty sure ours is.

Pointless, IIRC it achieved nothing the last time.

Guess I'll need to work from home, either that or get my mountain bike back off my dad :teeth:

So what....... do we just sit back and let these idiots walk all over us as usual?

Aye xstric9x Im right behind you, as you once told me on the battlefield outside Tescos:

fight and you may die, run, and you'll live...at least a while. And dying in you deathbeds, many years from now, wouldn't you be willing to trade all of that from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our government that they may take away our petrol, but they'll never take away our freeeedoooomm.

:teeth::lol:

Pointless, IIRC it achieved nothing the last time.

Guess I'll need to work from home, either that or get my mountain bike back off my dad :teeth:

So what....... do we just sit back and let these idiots walk all over us as usual?

Aye xstric9x Im right behind you, as you once told me on the battlefield outside Tescos:

fight and you may die, run, and you'll live...at least a while. And dying in you deathbeds, many years from now, wouldn't you be willing to trade all of that from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our government that they may take away our petrol, but they'll never take away our freeeedoooomm.

:teeth::lol:

Class.... :thumbs::lol::teeth::lol:

I still like the idea of boycotting majpor brands in favour of supermarket fuels, so that the big names feel the pinch and compete with supermarkets, who then compete again with the big names etc... until there is little or no profit in the petrol for either of them... THEN these big corporations will start bending MR browns ear and influencing his decision on tax...if we all did it i think it could work...

(That's my dream anyway...)

So I only buy petrol ( or diesel these days... :yuck::dry: ) from Tesco, sainsburys, morrisons, and in the event of an emergency I'll accept something like texaco ( as there are a few I can depend on between home and work, but never buy from BP, esso, shell. )

I know it probably won't work but hey... "every little helps"... (as I slap my arse pocket full of pennies...) :lol::p

I can see both sides of this argument, but lets put this into perspective. With 75 cars to run I am probably using more fuel than most. Cars on site get a short run every week to keep them working properly ( so many garages let their cars sit and never turn a wheel ) and more often than not they need a gallon putting in, I use a couple of tanks a week for business use and maybe 1.5 tanks a week for personal use, my salesman is on company fuel and gets a tank every week and I have my Dad and his best mate ( both retired ) doing errands for us through the week and pay their petrol too so it all adds up. On the bright side I do get to claim the VAT back which is currently worth about 18p a litre.

But lets be realistic here. Assuming I am using about 400 litres per week and say for example we manage to get 5 pence a litre knocked off, that adds up to a whopping £20 I'll save.

For someone using one tank a week, say 50 litres, the saving will be £2.50. In reality anyone who can afford to run a car really shouldn't be affected by £2.50 a week so I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Having said all that I was one who completely disagreed with the switch to litre pricing because that was obviously a huge scam. An increase of 2p a litre is effectively 10 pence a gallon and nobody would have stood for that kind of increase. I remember a huge furore when petrol hit £1.00 a GALLON !!!

In addition the older generation have no idea how much they are actually paying for fuel. I recently had a conversation with my Dad, who is 70, and mentioned fuel heading for £5 a gallon and he couldn't believe it. He had never actually worked out 4.54 litres to the gallon and realised how much he was really paying.

So anyway, the point of all this was to express how futile the protests are going to be. I can't see us getting much more than 5p a litre knocked off and thats practically insignificant to most people. And in any case the price will creep back up again while nobody is looking...

I think the main point is

IS it fair for the goverment to "pick" on an easy income maker such as fuel taxation revenue, which affects all or most UK taxpayers...?

I do believe this problem roots much deeper than fuel and cars and pollution etc... i am no expert but I am sure that

IF the goverment was a bit clever and tougher on handing out benefits to anyone that walk throught the benefits agency office... and also maybe didn't require to sponsor US tourist holidays in Afganistan Iraq, then maybe it would not have to try and recover so much money from hard working UK taxpayers... :rant::surrender:

but then again , what do i know... It is just my ignorant viewpoint... :dry: